Why become a member? ×

Rock around the Glock

Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1455922907' post='2983776']
Although my previous pre/power amp setup sounded perfect, I decided I needed something with a bit more onstage mid control, and something with a bit of drive for some upcoming dep gigs/future projects/expanding band repertoire.

I've had a Glockenklang amp before and it was the nicest tone of any integrated amp I've experienced, and the build quality is fantastic.

So, I sold my amps and bought Glockenklang's newest head the 1000w Blue Rock.
It's class D, but not as we know it. It's relatively big and heavy for a class D, and does not use the ubiquitous B&O ICE power module.

Also, this has a whole separate drive section! Glockenklang have a rep for being ultra clean, so this feature is quite a departure.

I'm yet to even plug it in!
Thoughts to follow next week for those who are interested
[/quote]

Looks great! Happy new amp :)

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1455923738' post='2983784']
What exactly was the point of that post?
[/quote]

What exactly was the point of that post?

EDIT: Also very slightly disappointed this wasn't about a Glock pistol.

Edited by paul h

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1456144061' post='2985774']
I like seeing pics of kit, old or new, with or without a review. It's one of the reasons I started visiting Bass Chat all those years back.
[/quote]

Agreed, without BC, there would be loads of stuff that I would have otherwise not seen... even stuff that doesn't readily come back in google image searches.

Stevie, shame on you.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1456144229' post='2985777']
So, er... does it sound any good?
[/quote]

Yes! Low volume testing so far, but it has that gorgeous Glockenklang clean tone. The drive is really good too. My last Glock head had drive when you pushed the gain, and I'd describe the sound ad more synthetic than valve, but still nice in the right context. This is a bit like having a built in VT Bass.

The true test of a class D amp IMO is holding the notes at volume. I'll wait till a practice and a gig before reporting back on that

Right, I’ve had some time to do some playing and thought I’d better put some effort into the feedback after all this fuss. Here’s what I probably should have put in the OP:

[b]Review of Glockenklang Blue Rock Head. £1150 from Thomann[/b]

[b]The Gear[/b]
-Wood & Tronics EJ4, PJ with D’Addario coated roundwounds
- Wood & Tronics Ergon 5 J/humbucker with D’Addario rounds (can’t remember type, not coated)
- Barefaced Super Twin
- Glockenklang Blue Rock

[b]Testing Environments[/b]
-Quiet home practice
-Band rehearsal
Not managed to gig it yet

[b]Build Quality[/b]
Very good indeed. It has a sturdy metal faceplate and an overall quality feel. The knobs have a very reassuring resistance to them when turned. The push buttons feel a little more flimsy than the rest of the bulletproof stuff, but not to any degree that causes concern. There are a couple of grab handles on the front which also protect the knobs - these have unusually sharp corners which look great but I wouldn’t like one to jab me on the temple (unlikely)
It is bigger and heavier than most class D amps I’ve had. Maybe not one for those who like to slip their amp into the front of the gig bag and walk long distances to their gigs.To be precise, it’s 320x88x260mm (12.6x3.5x10.2") and 5kg (11lbs)
Some beautifully engineered rock solid rack ears are included for those with a rackmount inclination.

[b]Sounds[/b]
This is my first class D Glockenklang, and I was hoping that it still retained that wonderful tone – thankfully it does! Most Glockenklang owners seem to say that they just bypass the EQ as the untainted tone is so spot on, and I’m relieved to hear that that core tone is present here too. Think transparent, clear and full, but somehow rich at the same time.

I intend to use two clean tones – Tone A, the tone I think works best with my band (mostly flat with slight treble cut, for a deep but clear reggae sound), and Tone B, a more middy tone that I can actually hear on stage when the PA is pumping out Tone A. EQ bypassed is great for Tone A. Time to play with the EQ to get Tone B:

First, the [b]bass[/b] control(+15dB@60Hz,-15dB@30Hz). I pumped it fully up just to hear the extreme, and WOW! I have never heard such a clear, pure bass sound. It’s the kind of deep dub reggae sound that I usually use my Low Pass Filter to achieve. It’s absolutely gorgeous, especially when the pups are on a 50/50 blend. What an unexpected bonus – I’ve never had an amp before where a fully-dialled bass knob is even useable, let alone gorgeous (not yet tested that one properly at volume)

The [b]mids[/b] are split into three: [b]low[/b] (±12dB@150Hz or 230 Hz), [b]mid[/b] (±12dB@ 550Hz or 800 Hz) and [b]high[/b] (±[email protected] or 2KHz) and each of these has a button where you can select one of two frequency centres - handy and flexible. I had a quick play and they do exactly what they should do, with the freq buttons adding to the flexibility. I have yet to need my middy Tone B, but think it will be easy to get as these mids are so comprehensive yet so intuitive.

I’m not a trebly player, never have been, but cranking the [b]treble [/b](±15dB 8kHz) knob yields some exceptional clarity with no harshness. I played a few harmonics and noodles, and they sound detailed and very musical.
Overall, the EQ is as flexible as I could ever need, and every setting from 0-10 on each of the five bands is genuinely useable.

On to the [b]drive section[/b]. This is new territory for Glockenklang, who are renowned for being uncoloured. This has a drive amount (clean to dirty) and drive level (gain) This section is bypassable and footswitchable (footswitch not included). The drive is really nice, and genuinely creamy valvelike. It has the dynamics of valves in that the more you dig in, the more dirt, and it has a pleasing swell/recede with each note. It never gets to absolute filth, more clean to medium. One Talkbass reviewer reckons it's similar to the overdrive of the Monique preamp; I wouldn't know but I wouldn't be surprised. When this section is engaged, the drive gain overrides the normal gain. This means you can play clean at one volume, then stomp in the drive at a louder level if you wish.

Alongside the drive section is [b]voice[/b] (which only works when drive engaged). This gives quite a nice full scooped quality, which can almost sound a little bit chorusish, particularly in the higher registers.

There is an input and gain for an MP3 input, which I suppose is for playing along with music. I don’t usually use that type of thing but may give it a whirl at some point.

I think it goes without saying that, at 1000w at 4ohms, it has as much volume as any sane player could need. Worth noting that the master volume is logarithmic, so the further you turn it clockwise, the louder it gets – all the way to the end, which although logical, is quite unusual.

Overall, the tone is pure, clear and musical, with zero boom and zero noise. Class D amps have a habit of sounding great at first, but then never fully satisfying me as a long term gigging amp (Streamliner/Shuttle/Orange/TC) so I won’t go overboard with praise until I’ve put it through its paces for a few months, but I’m optimistic. Talkbass tells me that Glock use a 1000w Abletec power module rather than the common B&O ICE module - maybe that’s where the difference lies.

That’s about it I think. It’s a very, very high quality amp. A gorgeous core tone, a bypassbale, authentic drive section, flexible EQ and volume to spare. Provided it passes the more long term heft-test, I couldn’t want for anything more.

Edited by Roland Rock