Why become a member? ×

Rock around the Glock

Roland Rock

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1456552679' post='2990198']
Thank you for the review. Would you say the sounds tends to favour any particular music style?
[/quote]

No I wouldn't. With the flexible EQ and the drive section, I have difficulty thinking of any genre/style that this couldn't do well - a proper Swiss army knife (well - German), unless you need crazy amounts of overdrive.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1456577405' post='2990416']
Outstandingly clear and informative review. I don't think anyone has mentioned the price yet, which is about £1,150. That's beyond most of us, unfortunately.
[/quote]

Cheers, yeah it is pricy! Will add that info to the review.

• 2 months later...

I've had the Blue Rock for many practices and several gigs now, so thought I'd give some more feedback.

I have a standard setting now to get the deep reggae tone, all 12 o'clock apart from bass, which is 3 o'clock this gives me a very similar tone to the almighty previous benchmark Avalon U5 into Crest CA9. The Crest had HUGE bottom end, and the Rock needs that bit of boost to equal that - possibly the difference between enormous transformers and class D?

I'm very pleased to conclude that the Blue Rock has clarity, definition and bollocks at band volumes. No sign of falling out of love with it - if anything I love it more the more I play it.

To be fair, most if not all of my gigs go through the PA, so my band volume amp-only experience comes from practices.
I've had several compliments from soundguys though.

No real test of the drive section as it's not relevant for my band (any distortion I use is synth-flavoured from pedals) but nice to know I have it anyway.

My master sits on 12 o'clock and that is very loud indeed.

I have a slight irrational dislike that I have to tweak the bass control to achieve my ideal tone (ie it's not baked in flat) but I suppose it's like a car's default seat position - you set it how you want it then leave it.

Overall, I'm bloody loving it.

Edited by Roland Rock

Very nice review, which has given me Glock GAS. And it's quite painful... it's also of a size that would fit nicely on my One10 (horizontally) but I have to ask myself whether 600-odd watts at 8ohms may represent more headroom than I'd actually need... ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1463308470' post='3050294']
Very nice review, which has given me Glock GAS. And it's quite painful... it's also of a size that would fit nicely on my One10 (horizontally) but I have to ask myself whether 600-odd watts at 8ohms may represent more headroom than I'd actually need... ;)
[/quote]

You can never have too much headroom!

Regarding the size and weight, I'd say it feels like halfway between the micro car stereo jobs (eg Shuttle 6) and the 2u solid state heads (eg HD350)

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1463308470' post='3050294']
[/quote]

Does this help?

[attachment=219393:BT2.jpg]

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1463330497' post='3050531']
Epic rig! How's it going with the Big Twin?
[/quote]

It only arrived on Friday so have only an hour or two on it at the moment. Whilst reggae is not my thing, I tried your settings with my P bass with flats and some simple Bob Marley - it blew me away. Just awesome! I have tried some blues and jazz through it and again am amazed at the depth and tone of the amp and cab together. Not only does this let me hear what I am play but it really allows the tone of my Roscoe Century bass to shine through. I am still to play some rock but need to get my Stingray sorted for that (I buggered up the new strings I put on mid week). One thing that is apparent is that my RS212 was strangling the Blue Rock to my ears. The BTII just lets the amp do its thing and then with some gusto.

One thing that made me laugh was playing Twenty One Pilot's Stressed Out mostly on the Roscoe B string - that was just a different level to my previous kit. Not only loud and thunderous with the sweetest tone, but I could feel it in my 12 x 14 music room!

I also cannot wait for the cab to bed in. At the moment though (new cab excitement etc) I have absolutely no GAS for any more amps / cabs or basses.