Why become a member? ×

Rock around the Glock

Roland Rock

Although my previous pre/power amp setup sounded perfect, I decided I needed something with a bit more onstage mid control, and something with a bit of drive for some upcoming dep gigs/future projects/expanding band repertoire.

I've had a Glockenklang amp before and it was the nicest tone of any integrated amp I've experienced, and the build quality is fantastic.

So, I sold my amps and bought Glockenklang's newest head the 1000w Blue Rock.
It's class D, but not as we know it. It's relatively big and heavy for a class D, and does not use the ubiquitous B&O ICE power module.

Also, this has a whole separate drive section! Glockenklang have a rep for being ultra clean, so this feature is quite a departure.

I'm yet to even plug it in!
Thoughts to follow next week for those who are interested

Edit: review now up - see post #50
[Img]http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/rackbags/20160219_223702_zpsi2jkbvxh.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

[Img]http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/rackbags/20160219_223627_zpsxpfouwff.jpg " class="ipsImage" />

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1455924275' post='2983790']
You could equally ask what's the point of 90% of the posts on BC? :)
[/quote]

Quite true. You've read the fish pun thread then? Sometimes I don't know what keeps me coming back here.

2 x 10 or 4 x 10? Give me a break!

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1455924360' post='2983791']
I don't think the fact that you have a new amp is of interest to anybody. Why should it be? Your thoughts once you've tried it out could be though.
[/quote]

To be fair stevie, there is a thread with 490 THOUSAND BCers showing or discussing what there amp/cab/rig is... now that could be questioned! :D

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1455924507' post='2983792']
Quite true. You've read the fish pun thread then? Sometimes I don't know what keeps me coming back here.

2 x 10 or 4 x 10? Give me a break!
[/quote]

Hey! I contributed to that and 10/10/10/10 all vertical makes more sense than 10/10+10/10... that didn't pan out right! :/

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1455924740' post='2983795']
Hey! I contributed to that and 10/10/10/10 all vertical makes more sense than 10/10+10/10... that didn't pan out right! :/
[/quote]

Yes, I saw. And you didn't even mention dispersion......

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1455925031' post='2983796']
@ stevie, don't go pi$$ing on Roland's chips! I'd be chuffed if I'd just bought a new high-end piece of kit, so I've subscribed to this thread.

@ Roland - what about that valve head with the rocket on the front - don't tell me that's gone!
[/quote]

Thanks!

I still have it although at 100w it's not quite clean enough at volume for my current project. It made a nasty noise last time I plugged it in, so may need new valves. It will definitely be brought out again in the future for the right project.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1455924360' post='2983791']
I don't think the fact that you have a new amp is of interest to anybody. Why should it be? Your thoughts once you've tried it out could be though.
[/quote]

OK best take notice, no one can post in amps and cabs unless it's accompanied by an in depth review of said gear. He speaks for everyone, don't you know!

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1455925157' post='2983798']
490,000 BCers eh?

Sorry for the grump, Roland. However, your eagerness to inform everyone about your new purchase struck me as vacuous because it lacked any real information. I'm sure your opinion will be worth reading when you post it.
[/quote]

Are you new to the internet?

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1456074241' post='2985126']
Congrats Roland!

I was looking at test driving a Glock Blue Sky recently. Sadly it has now been sold so will be interested to see how you get on with this one.
[/quote]

I was looking at the Blue Soul for sale here, then the 'next one up' the Blue Sky, then saw this. In a few classic 'blokenomics' moves I justified it to myself and pushed the button 😀

Will give a review when I've had a few plays under a few conditions

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1456073224' post='2985114']
Needs more knobs
[/quote]

Yeah, it's pretty knobby.
My last setup had three knobs (effectively tone, gain and volume) and one reason for the change is the need for more onstage mid control - this goes to the other extreme.
There are several like MP3/FX level/gain which I'll probably never touch.

Edited by Roland Rock

A more legible picture of the layout and details

[Img]http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/rackbags/10624607_zpsdi5qsfs3.jpg" class="ipsImage" />
1000W @ 4 ohms, 500 watts @ 8 ohms or max. 900W @ 2.7 ohms, 600W @ 4 ohms, 300W @ 8 ohms (amplifier internally switchable between minimal impedance 4 or 2.7 ohms),

drive / voice section (drive switchable via footswitch), the drive knob is for sounds of slightly distorted to tube-like overdrive, the voice control (which can added to drive) offers additional timbre

5-band EQ with 2 switchable frequencies for low mid, mid and high mid controls,

input A & B, FX loop, balanced DI out, weight: 5kg

Edited by Roland Rock