Why become a member? ×

Natural progression

AlpherMako4

HI Andy, nice to see another fellow Alpher player on here ;)

I am not a theory driven bloke so cannot comment too deeply I'm afraid, however in my opinion, providing your left hand technique can adapt to the different spacing and extra width, there is no negative in having a 5th string. All it does is give you an extra 4 notes and tons of positions. If I was starting to play bass all over again, I would have choose to start with a 5 string.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1456010179' post='2984576']
There is nothing 'basic' about learning on a four string. You just learn with what is available to you. Yours is an entirely legitimate starter instrument.
[/quote]

This ^. If you start on a 5 then to you it's normal. You just learn how to deal with what's in front of you.

• 3 months later...

You could argue going from a 5 to a 4 is harder as you'll be moving around the fret board so much more to achieve things that can be played in one position on a 5

Not saying it is , just there is no "harder" just differences

Five and Seven strings yield their major scale note layouts better than four and sixers if you're a pattern-based player.

Simple maths really resonating with pentatonic and seven-note (sepatonic) scale forms.

I know many will cry rubbish but as an example, I'd cite the seven's ability to deliver the entire major scale as a single fret vertical as one primary form on which to build.

Like-wise a five will yield a wonderful 3x3 mixolydian with rotational symmetry with its rotated brother pivoting around the Ab on the A. (In the key of C.)

A four cannot reproduce this so neatly. A six can but with the ugly pattern breaking remainder on the adjacent string.

Edited by visog

In my mind there are two separate responses to the issue of 'how many strings do I need?'

1. The instrument itself is largely irrelevant, it's what you do with it that matters. Far too much emphasis is placed on the materials used to play rather than the playing itself - much like going to a restaurant and fixating on what sort of spoon was used to stir the soup.

2. At a nuts and bolts level there are some technical adjustments to make if you're switching between 4, 5 and 6+ strings, and moving beyond 4 strings can definitely reduce the amount of position shifting required. Having said that, staying in one position all the time isn't always the right thing to do - it depends on the tone that you want to produce from the instrument.

It's also about matching your instrument to the sound that you hear in your head. Having been through 6-string and 5-string E-C phases I realised that (for me, at least) a high C string on a bass doesn't work and (to my ears) will only ever sound like a bad guitar. This may well be down to my playing, but that's a separate issue...