Why become a member? ×

Two Notes Le Bass preamp

visog

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1503869058' post='3361280']
Al, you know it makes sense to trade up.

I can confirm like the rest it will work with less than 300mA, but may not have quite as much juice, but it won't batter the pedal. It's partly my fault, when we were going through stuff I should have calculated mA's with you. My board comes to less that's the total of 900mA it puts out. Still think you will properly enjoy it though Al. As you know I am a big fan!
[/quote]

Cheers Cuzzie. I've never NOT known you to recommend more stuff :D :D but you're right, it's probably the sensible thing to do here, although I'm sure I'll get by in the short run.

To be fair, when I started out thinking about a pedal board and power supply earlier in the year, I just had the Zoom B3n and a couple of other pedals with a total draw which either a DC5 or 8 could easily manage. But I've allowed myself to be willingly drawn into the dark arts' sphere of the Basschat Pedal Zone and, as we all know, one thing leads to another, doesn't it?! But I keep telling myself I'm now done for 2017 with pedal and bass GAS...and that I now just need to start making good use of the stuff I've got! :)

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1503871678' post='3361300']
Looking to switch amps though, which will probably mean the pedals will change too!
[/quote]

My trusted "sources" tell me that you have managed to seal the deal on an excellent amp and one very well suited to your band's genre! Congratulations! The previous owner is also a very big fan of the 2Notes and happily used it in conjunction with that amp, so it will be interesting, indeed, to see which of your pedals make the final "cut" on your board.

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1503959388' post='3361880']
Krow is the 3 eyed Raven.......
[/quote]
[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1503991029' post='3361919']
Shouldn't that be 3 eyed Krow?
[/quote]
[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1503996820' post='3361956']
:o Spoilers. =P.
[/quote]

Lol!!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1503998023' post='3361968']
I'm hoping the VMT side of the M900 will make the Le Bass redundant in my setup... I'm basically just using it as an always-on pre to transform the sound of my Orange, so hoping I can just get the amp sound right at the amp end instead!
[/quote]

I think you're basically saying that your new DG M900 is a (much) better amp than the Orange Terror? Can't disagree with that! But equally if you had said that my Markbass or Mesa or Osiris' Genzler Magellan 800 were better than an Orange Terror, you would be finding me in agreement with you. In fact just about [i]anything[/i] (apart from a TE) I think would be getting my agreement on that score...IMHO, YMMV etc. Completely off thread now, and being controversial for the sake of it I realise, but hey I'm in holiday mode... :D

I don't even have the new amp yet but there's no way I'm selling the Terror! Best lightweight amp ever for blues/classic rock/motown, matched only by the Aguilar Tone Hammer IMHO!

Just want a brighter, overdriven yet articulate sound for this new venture.

Edited by dannybuoy

DB - congrats on your purchase!!!

IMHO - i rarely used the VMT side of the circuit on the amp - the B3K sound was nice, really good and articulate, but the VMT despite supposedly being more 'vintage' i think sounded a little more squishy to me, and not quite as useable. Now it could just be me, and my ears and set up etc but the DG amp may well remove the need for using the B channel alone on the Two Notes, but i don't think (for me anyway) it will do anything to remove the A channel which is really nice as you know. The fusion modes are definitely still in play as the microtubes engine on the amp cascades things differently to how the pedal does it, it sort of sits alongside it just off parallel and not through it or with it if you get my drift.

You may find that the need for the B3K/B7K pedals you have will go from your chain and that you use the really articulate B3K with Two notes and amp EQ and the AO pedal for its different type of dirt.

You have my email, i did some home recording using the DG amp and Two notes and i am happy to send them along with the settings i used to see if its near what you want sound wise (or what you want to avoid?!) and you can work around it.

Its great fun, ultimately i did not need as much grit in the end hence the Two notes and other stuff is enough as well as a new amp.......

I think we've already veered this thread off topic for long enough, but the Alpha Omega set to pure Alpha, max blend and min gain has been the perfect sound when going direct. Through the headphones it sounds better than any modeller I've played with before, I'd be happy recording using just that and nothing else! I've owned a VMTD and B7K before so know what to expect.

One area where I think the Two Notes falls down is that top end can be quite harsh, but the cab sim is way too dark when engaged. The Darkglass stuff has a built in treble roll off that's kind of a halfway house, removing the fizz without adding mud, so it sounds great through the amp as well as the PA. I have an OmniCabSim I can throw into the mix as well so plenty tools to experiment with. Nothing like a new project to induce GAS, eh?

Congrats Marshall, you will enjoy it.

You will not get a bad sound out of it, and I hope you get a sound you love.
Not sure what basses you play, but I found with me anyway it was more receptive to passive basses, that's not to say actives do not fair well, it was just little nuances

[quote name='MarshallBTB' timestamp='1504074615' post='3362434']
Ordered one of these last night after watching the darkglass comparison video.
Going to replace my dying Zoom B3, can't wait !
[/quote]

Good stuff! But methinks the 2Notes is not going to replace your B3 entirely (if you're using it for anything other than what Channel A and Channel B on the 2Notes can provide?) and I would definitely recommend looking into the Zoom B3n too, particularly if you were using your B3 for live performance - the B3n's live interface with 3 additional footswitches makes it a pleasure to use.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1504082143' post='3362485']

Good stuff! But methinks the 2Notes is not going to replace your B3 entirely (if you're using it for anything other than what Channel A and Channel B on the 2Notes can provide?) and I would definitely recommend looking into the Zoom B3n too, particularly if you were using your B3 for live performance - the B3n's live interface with 3 additional footswitches makes it a pleasure to use.
[/quote]

Oh, I've got a B3n ! I have and will still use the B3n for some gigs, and practising / messing about with the looper at home. I just prefered the 'squeak' distortion on the B3 to any on the n, and the DI.
I have an MS60-B that I'll probably end up putting in the effects loop of the Le Bass for any weird stuff, and my horrible sub sound I use for our dance set.

[quote name='MarshallBTB' timestamp='1504083033' post='3362491']
Oh, I've got a B3n ! I have and will still use the B3n for some gigs, and practising / messing about with the looper at home. I just prefered the 'squeak' distortion on the B3 to any on the n, and the DI. I have an MS60-B that I'll probably end up putting in the effects loop of the Le Bass for any weird stuff, and my horrible sub sound I use for our dance set.
[/quote]

Good man! And that's kinda reassuring in that, while I think I can get a good portion of the way there to a "2Notes sound" with the Zoom B3n's overdrive emulation SIMs, I wasn't convinced I could get close enough, which was a factor in me splashing out on a 2Notes (albeit a second hand one) just a week or so ago. You seem to have come to the same conclusion on that point?

You're actually the first other BCer I've come across with both a B3n and a 2Notes (unless dannybuoy has a B3n in his arsenal and has just been keeping quiet about it?! :)), so it will be interesting to compare notes (or Two?) with you as we get to grips with what it's capable of.

[Btw - I also had a MS-60B. Amazing value for money in terms of effects under one hood, but I found the user interface, particularly for live performance with just one foot switch a real pain. The Zoom B3n with 3 foot switches [i]and[/i] 3 foot pedals, and a much easier to use SIM editor (for me anyway) has transformed my view of multi-fx and I'm definitely a fan of the B3n.]

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1504093211' post='3362606']

Good man! And that's kinda reassuring in that, while I think I can get a good portion of the way there to a "2Notes sound" with the Zoom B3n's overdrive emulation SIMs, I wasn't convinced I could get close enough, which was a factor in me splashing out on a 2Notes (albeit a second hand one) just a week or so ago. You seem to have come to the same conclusion on that point?

You're actually the first other BCer I've come across with both a B3n and a 2Notes (unless dannybuoy has a B3n in his arsenal and has just been keeping quiet about it?! :)), so it will be interesting to compare notes (or Two?) with you as we get to grips with what it's capable of.

[Btw - I also had a MS-60B. Amazing value for money in terms of effects under one hood, but I found the user interface, particularly for live performance with just one foot switch a real pain. The Zoom B3n with 3 foot switches [i]and[/i] 3 foot pedals, and a much easier to use SIM editor (for me anyway) has transformed my view of multi-fx and I'm definitely a fan of the B3n.]
[/quote]

Exactly that, I've been using the Dark Pre on the B3n but it's still not quite what I want. Having the DI built in is a plus as well as my main gig is without an amp/cab on stage so that cuts down one peice of gear.
I picked up a Diamond Bass Comp as well, as I liked the comps in the B3/n but found I always got noise when using them, where as the Diamond is whisper quite and pretty difficult to get a bad sound out of.
Im only going to be using the MS-60B for the z-tron, and my sub sound for the last 20 minutes of our set (which uses a combination of effects that are on all of the zoom units) so I can afford to make one patch change mid gig. I agree with you though, I'll happily use the B3n on its own, super easy to make changes live.
My plan is to have my metro 20 with the comp, oc-2, le bass and MS60 in the loop as my main board, and I'll take the B3n out on its own for smaller stuff.

[quote name='MarshallBTB' timestamp='1504100478' post='3362686']
Exactly that, I've been using the Dark Pre on the B3n but it's still not quite what I want. Having the DI built in is a plus as well as my main gig is without an amp/cab on stage so that cuts down one peice of gear.

I picked up a Diamond Bass Comp as well, as I liked the comps in the B3/n but found I always got noise when using them, where as the Diamond is whisper quite and pretty difficult to get a bad sound out of.

I'm only going to be using the MS-60B for the z-tron, and my sub sound for the last 20 minutes of our set (which uses a combination of effects that are on all of the zoom units) so I can afford to make one patch change mid gig. I agree with you though, I'll happily use the B3n on its own, super easy to make changes live.
My plan is to have my metro 20 with the comp, oc-2, le bass and MS60 in the loop as my main board, and I'll take the B3n out on its own for smaller stuff.
[/quote]

Find myself in total agreement with that, too!

The lack of a DI out on the B3n was another thing in favour for me of getting the 2Notes (which has one). And I'm also smiling at your decision to get a separate compressor instead of just using the ones on the B3n; I've just got myself an Aguilar TLC to put on my board. In place of your OC-2, I've got its "spiritual successor" the COG T16 lined up (both from the Effects FS section, as it happens). We could almost be accused of copying, right? :)

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='MarshallBTB' timestamp='1504343339' post='3364182']
Got my Le Bass set up on the board for tonight's gig. Cant wait.
It's sounding great through my in ears, really punchy, and the overdrive....it's exactly what I wanted.
Will put a proper review together once I've gigged it!
[/quote]

Excellent! Be great to get a pic of your 2Notes on your favourite settings, and looking forward to your full review.

I've been asked by Osiris as to how close I can get to the 2Notes sound on my Zoom B3n? We'll if you're up for the challenge too, that would be definitely be cool. Two heads and all that... :)