Why become a member? ×

Two Notes Le Bass preamp

visog

[quote name='MGBrown' timestamp='1483006706' post='3204014']
Oops! User error there...
Could you not pad the signal at the desk? How do you get around the issue? Ta.
[/quote]

All likely possible, but not with the desk/tech at the time.

The tech there had a Boss DI that he preferred. Bass > LeBass > that DI > Desk

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1483008224' post='3204030']

All likely possible, but not with the desk/tech at the time.

The tech there had a Boss DI that he preferred. Bass > LeBass > that DI > Desk
[/quote]

Did you use the line out to the DI and split from the tech's DI to your amp?
I really want to use this as a floor pre/DI then into powered cab or a provided rig's power amp in.

Never had complaints like this from any of the 20 sound engineers in the past few months. I do tame my active basses a bit (with an Empress Biffer+) to level them out with my passive instruments, and the volume on the Le Bass is never over 3o'clock.

What I still cannot understand is why the onboard cab simulation is way too dark. This from a company that makes the C.A.B.-series... It really sounds muffled, only useable if you're playing a Jazz with a pick with lots of grit to it, imo.

• 2 months later...

Sold mine now. It was gathering dust. The sound was fantastic, but it was heavy and needed its own power supply.

If I ever end up in a metal/grind band again and need some great sounds, I shall likely revisit it. Until then, though, I shall look for a nice 9v pedal that is more blues-rock.

SFT was my go to but the Blueberry blew it out of the water. I have the BB still and like it but not as much. Low Blow I've not considered, but I remember very much looking forward to its release only to be disappointed by the demos!

• 3 months later...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1456091037' post='2985351']
I got one a couple of weeks ago, and it's the dog's danglies. Best dirty preamp / overdrive I've ever had, and I've been through a fair amount!
[/quote]

Hey - dannybuoy, you still of this opinion. And trumps your Bearfoot Blueberry?

I don't have a single favourite these days, but it's still up there! It's very different to the Blueberry, can't say which is better. These days I am mostly using a Tone Hammer with the Precision and flats, Agro with my Yammy BB, and Alpha Omega with my Warwick Streamer. Each bass has its own partner!

I have to say the Two Notes is the nuts for me, like attackbass said on the last page it makes my Jazz come to life.
It does not play as nicely with my P bass though, but I am cool with that.

At the moment I have a nice pocket of sound stacking it with a Hartke VXL and a Cali76G.

Even Al liked the sound it makes, and he's a hard man to please

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1500580821' post='3338933']
Even Al liked the sound it makes, and he's a hard man to please
[/quote]

I did indeed! Your chain, with the Two Notes at its core, brought Mesa Boogie Prodigy 4:88 valve goodness to mind...which is the very reason I've jumped onto this thread :)

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1500576544' post='3338875']
I don't have a single favourite these days, but it's still up there! It's very different to the Blueberry, can't say which is better. These days I am mostly using a Tone Hammer with the Precision and flats, Agro with my Yammy BB, and Alpha Omega with my Warwick Streamer. Each bass has its own partner!
[/quote]

I thought you were now a Pike Vulcan man rather than an AO devotee these days?!

Edited by Al Krow

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1461255681' post='3032980']
Received my Le Bass today and I'm absolutely amazed :D.I wasn't wanting it for distortion just clean-ish tubey warmth and for a bit extra EQ and boost in front of my already tubey Markbass TTE801 head. The Noble preamp was what I really wanted but the expense and hassle getting one shipped was :o. However, if the Noble sounds better than this I would be surprised ( I don't need the DI as I already have a Basswitch IQ).
The sheer tonal versatility of this unit is stunning and it's hard to get a bad sound out of it....... Except that the power supply that came with it made the unit really noisy. Things improved when I plugged in my Markbass Compressore power supply but there was still a background hum which increased when I rolled off the bass volume ! I dug around and managed to find another 12v supply and after using a polarity reversing adapter the Le Bass is now super quiet.

Andertons were very helpful when I rang to inform them and a replacement 12v supply is being sent from the distributors.

I have a pub gig near Witney this Saturday and can't wait to try it with the band. :)
[/quote]

Hi - which polarity reversing adapter were you using?

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1503760994' post='3360781']
Hi - which polarity reversing adapter were you using?
[/quote]

It was something like this [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/RockBoard-by-Warwick-Reverse-Polarity-Converter/1FV0"]http://www.gear4musi...-Converter/1FV0[/url]

I believe I got it from somewhere no longer in business though.

The later power supplies from Two Notes now work fine.

Edited by Opticaleye

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1503830089' post='3361066']
It was something like this [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/RockBoard-by-Warwick-Reverse-Polarity-Converter/1FV0"]http://www.gear4musi...-Converter/1FV0[/url]

I believe I got it from somewhere no longer in business though.

The later power supplies from Two Notes now work fine.
[/quote]

Thanks very much OE. I recently got a second hand 2Notes (following rave reviews and some great audio samples from Cuzzie) but was getting some very significant pedal hum. I've identified the cause as being a non isolated PSU (and going through this thread was very helpful), which hopefully I can sort pretty easily or, if necessary, go back to 2Notes for a replacement PSU - do you know how much they cost?

I was just wondering whether a polarity reversing adapter might be a useful thing to insert anyway to eliminate pedal board hum more widely? It seems to me to conceptually to be quite similar in approach to what a humbucker is doing to eliminate coil hum?

You only need a polarity reversing adapter if the pins in the power supply or socket are wired the opposite way around. Attach one to the wrong pedal and you could fry it.

Most pedal power supplies are centre negative, but most supplies for general equipment are centre positive. I assume the poster above found a random 12V PSU and stuck an adapter on the end to make it usable with the Le Bass.

I've heard others complaining of noise with their stock power supplies, fortunately this did not affect me, perhaps I got a different model since I bought it from Thomman and it's a European plug.

Btw my Cioks DC5 powers it just fine even though it's supposed to need 500mA and the supply only delivers 300. I'm glad I ignored your request to sell it to you as I've just joined a band and it's now on the board! :D

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1503842183' post='3361137']
I assume the poster above found a random 12V PSU and stuck an adapter on the end to make it usable with the Le Bass.

[/quote]

Correct. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear. It was the supply from a DHA pedal if I recall which had the opposite polarity.

I used a One spot CS7 mostly when the LeBass was on my board.

Thanks both for clarifying about the polarity reversing adaptor - sounds like I won't be needing / shouldn't be using.

DB - that's also good to know that the 2Notes can manage fine on 300mA. Like you I've also got a Ciocks (DC8 in my case), so 'll be able to use one of the isolated 300mA for the 2Notes and the other for my Zoom B3n which seems, like the 2Notes, to manage fine on 300mA despite also supposedly having a 500mA requirement.

Btw great that you have now joined a band - for me, making music live is really what it's all about. And I'm glad I didn't hang around until you were ready to sell your 2Notes before getting one! What sort of stuff are you guys playing and does that mean that your nomenclature of "Bedroom Fiddler" now falls foul of the Trades Descriptions Act? :)

I expect the pedal needs a little less then 500 and the supply can put out a little more than 300, probably 400 then!

I don't think I'll change my description just yet seeing as I spent the best part of a day fiddling with my pedalboard!

Genre is heavy rock, with a sprinkling of stoner rock and grunge. Early days yet, not even certain I'm officially in yet, played with them once last week and doing so again this week!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1503865761' post='3361251']
I expect the pedal needs a little less then 500 and the supply can put out a little more than 300, probably 400 then!
[/quote]

In which case, I'm tempted to trade up to a Ciocks DC10 (as that has 2 x 400mA). I'd then have enough spare juice to power my Smooth Hound wireless, which also needs 300mA+, and which I'm currently going to need to power via it's own PSU following the arrival of the 2Notes.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1503865761' post='3361251']
I don't think I'll change my description just yet seeing as I spent the best part of a day fiddling with my pedalboard! Genre is heavy rock, with a sprinkling of stoner rock and grunge. Early days yet, not even certain I'm officially in yet, played with them once last week and doing so again this week!
[/quote]

GLWT new band!

PS It would appear that the 2Notes seems to have taken pride of place on your "band pedal board" ahead of the Pike Vulcan, DG AO and the Bearfoot Blueberry? Well that's a vote of confidence in the 2Notes then! Which bass and rig are you using it with?

Edited by Al Krow

Al, you know it makes sense to trade up.

I can confirm like the rest it will work with less than 300mA, but may not have quite as much juice, but it won't batter the pedal.

It's partly my fault, when we were going through stuff I should have calculated mA's with you.

My board comes to less that's the total of 900mA it puts out.

Still think you will properly enjoy it though Al. As you know I am a big fan!