Why become a member? ×

Gear4music

ped

I've been living in York for nearly two years now. I've been happy with my gear for a long time and apart from special items I'd only ever find on BC, I've not needed to look in any music shops as such.

Recently I've decided that I need a drum stool for my office and I've even considered buying a guitar so I've been looking at the shops nearby. The one in town (Mor Music) has closed due to flooding, bit of a shame because it looks good.

Imagine my surprise to find that just behind the supermarket where I do my shopping there's Gear4music - I knew of them as an online retailer but had no idea that they had a premises and quite an impressive one it is, too.

Not a bad range of basses in store, nothing amazing but a wall of instruments (no second hand) and some amplifiers. An even better range online which, I understand, if in stock they can get from the warehouse for you to see in the store.

Had a nice chat with the assistant who turned out to be a bassist and BC member. I'm hoping to work with them on some sort of promotion here so watch this space.

Cheers
ped

Bear in mind there's Banks' on Lendal too, they don't always have a lot of bass stuff (although there was a Jazz in that weird '70s yellow-green burst last time I was in there - Antigua?) but a decent range of effects and a lot of books of dots upstairs. And Red Cow on Goodramgate which is more folky.

Phil at MOR is a good guy he's sorted me out with lots of stuff in the past but he doesn't really stock interesting basses, I think most of his trade thread days is lower end stuff and acoustics, but he often has used stuff in on commission sales; Stu Fletcher's old '74 Jazz was in last year, but it was all Badassed and EMGd up, pretty bass but not really a vintage Fender any more.

Been to their showroom, very impressive place and friendly staff.
Bought a PA amp,and a couple of guitar cases, all at excellent prices.
Hope they manage to continue doing a good job, not easy in these times but
they seem to have both the retail and online presence sorted well.

Was in GFM last week and have also bought all kinds of stuff online and the more you buy the better the prices get, we bought a Roland acoustic amp and it was 50 quid cheaper than anywhere else.

Customer service is always top notch, never had a problem and I'm going to buy a Yamaha mixer & some speakers very soon.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1456480686' post='2989396']
I'm impressed with their own brand stuff, too. It's nothing fancy but is astonishingly cheap. I've played with someone who had one of their drum kits, and I use their in-ear monitor system.
[/quote]

What are your thoughts on the in-ear system? We have just bought a Gear4Music set-up for our band but havent had a chance to test it out yet.

[quote name='RickyV' timestamp='1456481699' post='2989406']
What are your thoughts on the in-ear system? We have just bought a Gear4Music set-up for our band but havent had a chance to test it out yet.
[/quote]

I bought the three pack IEM and an extra receiver. The receiver packs are plastic and feel a bit cheap, but that is hardly surprising at the price. There is a manual six-band selector on the broadcaster and receivers to find the clearest signal, but I have never moved off the first channel. Some people are nervous around channel 70 gear, but the signal is strong and clear and doesn't conflict with our channel 70 wireless microphones.
The earphones aren't great, but are useable. We all use our own preferred types of earphones. Personally I use the sport type that clip over the ear because anything else slowly work themselves loose.

I'm really glad that I didn't buy a more expensive system as it would be unnecessary expense, although in a bigger band something more sophisticated might be necessary.

Add to that, the joy of not having to carry monitors is worth the money alone. They do take a little time to get used to but the quality of sound definition in the ear without extraneous noise and at a volume that is comfortable is wonderful.

Edited by colgraff

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1456484546' post='2989436']
I bought the three pack IEM and an extra receiver. The receiver packs are plastic and feel a bit cheap, but that is hardly surprising at the price. There is a manual six-band selector on the broadcaster and receivers to find the clearest signal, but I have never moved off the first channel. Some people are nervous around channel 70 gear, but the signal is strong and clear and doesn't conflict with our channel 70 wireless microphones.
The earphones aren't great, but are useable. We all use our own preferred types of earphones. Personally I use the sport type that clip over the ear because anything else slowly work themselves loose.

I'm really glad that I didn't buy a more expensive system as it would be unnecessary expense, although in a bigger band something more sophisticated might be necessary.

Add to that, the joy of not having to carry monitors is worth the money alone. They do take a little time to get used to but the quality of sound definition in the ear without extraneous noise and at a volume that is comfortable is wonderful.
[/quote]

Cool. Sounds like a good purchase then. We have gone with the same 3 pack plus 2 additional receivers. Your comment about the earphones is pretty much what I expected as well. A full IEM kit for a 5 piece band for under £200? Bargain. Thanks a lot for your feedback.

G4M is miles better now they have a decent retail outlet masses of stock to drool over - and there are some good guys working there.
MOR have some interesting basses in there S/H from time to time - Phil had an Ibanez Roadstar II and a Shergold Marathon in before Christmas, but don't know if they got inundated... :( .He's working online at the mo and I think doing the shop up.
Banks have a decent selection too - a very nice USA Precision in Jade Green metallic keeps winking at me :gas:
So, all round quite decent choice for a smallish city.
Anybody know if Bulmers is shut permanently?

• 11 months later...