Why become a member? ×

Bow size question

Wonky2

Guys, perhaps a silly question for which the answer may seem logical i guess.....

Im after trying some arco playing and in the middle of trying to find a decent yet cheap bow.
I have an offer from another member for which i need to quickly deliberate and make decision but i need to ask my silly question first....

My bass is 3/4 size. The bow offered in the deal is 3/4 size. Is that the obvious and right match, or are there some obvious advantages in using a 4/4 size bow such as the longer stroke length.
(Focus people, its sunday morning, resist from Any long length stroking jokes)!

Any advice is welcomed.

Edited by Wonky2

3/4 is very much nominal, and encompasses a range of lengths. Add to that the weight - serious shops will tell you down to the gram - and choice of grip, type of wood, hair etc, and there are so many variables!
If the price seems reasonable, and especially if you can get a little go on this bow first, I'd say go for it if you're looking for a bow to get you started. My first one was about 30 plus a rear, but it got me to the point where I knew I was up for spending a few hundred. Then I changed from French to German grip and so it goes..
The main thing to me is that you feel comfortable enough holding it, so there's a good chance you'll actually play with it. The rest should follow, the amount of work depending on where you're thinking of taking it.

Thanks thats a great help...
Can you/ anyone explain the basic difference between french and german bows ?

I wont get chance to try it as its a post job but even if i did id have no point of reference as ive never used one !

Out of my comfort zone and loving it!

When I bought my bow, rather than buying a Yita direct from china, I found a UK (Stockport) based retailer who imports bows from China to the UK and then sells them on ebay & amazon, I contacted him by email and he was happy to weigh his stock, and send me a selection of carbon fibre french bows to try at the weights I requested, the quality of the hair on the bows was good, and my classical teacher didn't flag up anything about any of them that indicated that they would be a bad purchase.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dmi&field-keywords=Violins4you+double+bass+bow

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1456669571' post='2991185']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrj2Xhznv20[/media]
[/quote]
Useful video. . There is no definite right or wrong, although some will tell you there is!
My own limited experience is that French allows a bit more light finesse with the flexibility of the fingers, where the German allows a bit more power due to the angle of grip.

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1456702529' post='2991649']...There is no definite right or wrong...
[/quote]

I believe that the general rule is to go with whatever grip your tutor teaches, but that's only useful (if, indeed, true..!) if one has a tutor, of course..! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1456702926' post='2991656']

I believe that the general rule is to go with whatever grip your tutor teaches, but that's only useful (if, indeed, true..!) if one has a tutor, of course..! :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I think the German bow was designed so that the bow stroke wouldn't catch the corners/body of some of the different shaped DBs (violin/Gamba?).