Why become a member? ×

1x15 love...

SisterAbdullahX

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1456862292' post='2993038']
Down that path divorce lies...��
[/quote]

+1 total agreement, it is about what matters. Stay married long enough and wear down resistance. Now what 2 x 18 cab was I looking at.... :gas:

Edited by 3below

I recently had a JBL K140 re-coned (by Roy Johnson up in Yorkshire) and installed it in the Ashton cab I had knocking about. I ran the numbers with Eminence designer to see how it would respond (100L / 45Hz box - Trace 1518 sized-ish) and it all tied up surprisgnly well. l hoped the driver might have a little more top end but it more than makes up for that with it's big warm bottom and exceptional efficiency - this thing plays loud without massive amplifier power and doesn't complain even when pushed against a drummer. It's not about to replace my SWR boxes but I'm happy to gig it for a slightly different flavour especially for fingerstyle with my Jazz bass - I'm thinking it may become a very useful recording tool also. I'm considering I might later supplement it with an HF component to give me that 'ping' back but it looks and sounds great as is for now with that silver dust-cap looking mean and purposeful behind the grill! I bought a silver and black JBL aluminium badge that i've positioned behind the grill so it's even colour coded now!

I'm very pleased with the 15" JBL and how it behaves (irrespective of it's nominal diameter), it's a nice and slightly oldskool alternative to my modern(ish) usual go-to ten inch cabs. B)

Edited by VTypeV4

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1456860658' post='2993019']
Bag End S15-D very nicely voiced all rounder - small but a bit of a lump by modern standards.
[/quote]
Same for me, no plans to change - it's the best cab I've had.

Edited by TomDuff

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1456826232' post='2992519']
I too have a love of 15" speakers, I know I know that there's plenty on here that say you can shift just as much air with 2 x 10" but a 15 just sounds gutsier to me
[/quote]

Why choose between them? Have both!!!!!

[attachment=213792:FullSizeRender.jpg]

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1457005345' post='2994354']
Why choose between them? Have both!!!!!

[attachment=213792:FullSizeRender.jpg]
[/quote]I have, a fender rumble 500 with a TE 1 x 15 underneath it, but some bassists on here reckon you shouldn't mix speaker sizes, I say use your ears

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1457006609' post='2994367']
I have, a fender rumble 500 with a TE 1 x 15 underneath it, but some bassists on here reckon you shouldn't mix speaker sizes, I say use your ears
[/quote]

Not had a bad comment on my sound yet - the rest of the guys in the band think it's spot on too!

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1457019851' post='2994526']
JapanAxe you are so right about tweeters :o
[/quote]yep couldn't agree more, I've got an on/off tweeter switch on my Rumble, it's makes sod all difference. if it did I'd be worried

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1456999696' post='2994295']
Barefaced Compact, or Eden 410 XST.......my back decides for me, and my ears are happy with the choice...sorted!
Can't quite bring myself to sell the Eden though :unsure:
[/quote]

Eden are nice cabs but they weigh an absolute tonne, TBH the 4x10xst is way overkill for any use I can ever imagine - I used to use a 2x10xlt and even that was a monster of a cab that coped with everything, although I ultimately replaced with a lighter epifani 3x10ul (and then with even lighter barefaced cabs: gen 2 compacts and a midget).

So I'm really an "accidental" 15 user and ended up with G2 compacts purely because nothing else at the time had anything close to the overall power/efficiency/size/weight combination. If I change them at any point it will almost certainly be for 12 loaded cabs purely because that is where the technology advancements seem to be occurring.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassmanady' timestamp='1457900927' post='3002881']
Love this cab always liked the sound of a BW 15" speaker
[/quote]

These are great - those classic old Peavey cabs are just unstoppable, I had so much fun with mine when I had them!

Another happy 1x15 user here...

Have used an SWR Triad for about 8 years (3 way design comprising 15" + 10" driver + a horn), but in that time, have also had a couple of old Peavey 1x15 cabs loaded with Altec Lansing 15" drivers which were great. And now, I'm almost exclusively using an an Ampeg V4BH head with matching Ampeg Classic series 1x15 cab, which sounds wonderful (to my ears at least).

Along the way I've used 4x10, 2x10, 1x12 and 2x12 cabs as well as a Schroeder 21012 cab which was particularly good, but in the end, I always seem to come back to cabs with 15" drivers.

[quote name='ppaul' timestamp='1456804340' post='2992387']
If it sounds good to you, then it's good, I just put my 15 under my 410, and was surprised by the extra bottom end (I know the TB guys are gonna cringe) I'm gonna leave a couple days and see what happens

\m/
[/quote]

Yep same here - i use my 15 under my 410

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1458153049' post='3005187']
I have a couple of Dubsters (Barefaced), bought new a few years ago - used with class D Crown XLS and/or Ormats - it would take a lot to get me to go anywhere else............

:)
[/quote]
A pair of Dubsters?? Holy moly that must be able to rearrange internal organs, after having knocked down the venue walls.