Why become a member? ×

1x15 love...

SisterAbdullahX

Well, what can I say.....these cabs are great.

They are loud, very loud - with the help from the Mesa Subway D-800. Let's start at the bottom: Plenty bottom end without being boomy at all, tight and well balanced. They're not the fattest sounding cabs I've heard but what I heard tonight was to my preference. Mid and top though is, in my opinion, where these cabs come into their own. With the filter on the D-800 set at 10 o'clock, bass flat, low mid 1 o'clock. hi mid 2 o'clock, treble 1 o'clock and both 4" drivers set to full, it was a very pleasing growly sound from the fretless Ray.

I don't know what the crossover freq for the 4" drivers are, but what a difference to your normal horn tweeter. Less clanky (by a huge amount) and with a nice useable hi end. If you require a bit of hi end bite, then I don't know why most other manufacturers aren't using something similar - but I know a few are.

Very nice cabs - they're probably at the top end of what I'd like weight wise - according to the specs they're 14 odd kg's. Less weight would be better, but with the nice handle on top, they're easily lifted together. There's a tilt back system as well - a stainless steel pole is clipped to the bottom of each cab, and there's a bracket on the rear to enable the cabs to easily tilt back if required - unclip the pole, stick it in the bracket and you have tilt back. There's also metal plates on the top of each cab (I opted not to have mine fitted, but do have them) so if you added small magnets to the base of your amp (if it's lightweight - and the Eich heads come fitted with them) then the amp can safely sit at an angle on the tilted cab.

Highly recommended and worth adding to your GAS list. And get this (I've just realised) I've had 3 generations of Thomas's cabs - started with 2 Tech Soundsystems XS112 cabs, a Tecamp M212, and now the Eich 115Xs cabs. All of them were excellent, but the XS112 cabs were only 9kg's each as I added some lighter B&C drivers in them!! Now that was an easy lift.

D.

Some random phone pics:

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1458851470' post='3011634']
They look great. What is that overflow pipe sticking out of the rear port?
[/quote]

C'mon! That's the excess bass overflow pipe for boomy stages - it has a very small diameter to keep as much bass goodness in as possible: it drips away as required.

It isn't, it's the pole for the tilt-back, or did you not read my brief write up? :gas:

D.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1460497290' post='3026357']
Must say I do pretty much prefer 15 inch speakers.
It's sounds very common to say but they really do give a certain something smaller speakers just don't give.
And only 15s can deliver heft! Unless your using like an 8x10 fridge.
[/quote]Heft is nearly 14" in diameter that is why you need a 15 to get it excited.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1460497290' post='3026357']
Must say I do pretty much prefer 15 inch speakers.
It's sounds very common to say but they really do give a certain something smaller speakers just don't give.
And only 15s can deliver heft! Unless your using like an 8x10 fridge.
[/quote]

"Heft" = volume displacement. Volume displacement = cone area x cone excursion.

Historically 15"s have tended to have longer cone excursion than smaller drivers because of what they're designed to do. But if you design a 10" with similar parameters to a 15" but slightly greater cone excursion then two of those 10"s will deliver equal heft to the one 15".

Generic 8x10"s have a lot of heft because they have a lot of volume displacement, with the huge total cone area more than making up for the lack of cone excursion. But make a 10" driver with more cone excursion and you don't need as many of them to get HEFT!!! ;) Same for 12"s - or 8" or 6" or 18" or 21" etc.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1460556051' post='3026773']

"Heft" = volume displacement. Volume displacement = cone area x cone excursion.

Historically 15"s have tended to have longer cone excursion than smaller drivers because of what they're designed to do. But if you design a 10" with similar parameters to a 15" but slightly greater cone excursion then two of those 10"s will deliver equal heft to the one 15".

Generic 8x10"s have a lot of heft because they have a lot of volume displacement, with the huge total cone area more than making up for the lack of cone excursion. But make a 10" driver with more cone excursion and you don't need as many of them to get HEFT!!! ;) Same for 12"s - or 8" or 6" or 18" or 21" etc.
[/quote]

Yes indeed very true I get the science. Although I still think that 15s in general have a certain sound and feel to them which is HEFT! Lol

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1460583963' post='3027132']Yes indeed very true I get the science. Although I still think that 15s in general have a certain sound and feel to them which is HEFT! Lol[/quote]

In a 'general' sense you're right - in the same way that men are generally stronger than women. However it's a bit different when you get down to specific cabs, and as you use one or two actual cabs as opposed to some kind of averaged generalised thing it's the specifics that matter. I know if I wanted a person to help me move house or fill a skip with concrete I'd rather have a female olympic shotputter than a male hipster. ;)

Hi Alex, what's this I hear about you making a cab with an 18" speaker in it? If it's true I might have to place my wallet under lock and key :-) I love the middly "thunk" I get from an 18" and would love to hear what you can do with a speaker that diameter.

Edited by chriswareham

Me too....

Here is my FMC 1156 NEO EX. 300W/8Ohm, 99db, 17Kg. 15" +6". The 6" is fully adjustable and switchable. "EX" means, the 6" has an extended Frequency range and goes up to 10KHz. I didn't wanted a Tweeter

[quote name='AREA' timestamp='1460908794' post='3029691']
Me too....

Here is my FMC 1156 NEO EX. 300W/8Ohm, 99db, 17Kg. 15" +6". The 6" is fully adjustable and switchable. "EX" means, the 6" has an extended Frequency range and goes up to 10KHz. I didn't wanted a Tweeter

[/quote]
Oh I do like that very much.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1460637735' post='3027466']Hi Alex, what's this I hear about you making a cab with an 18" speaker in it? If it's true I might have to place my wallet under lock and key :-) I love the middly "thunk" I get from an 18" and would love to hear what you can do with a speaker that diameter.[/quote]

Shhhh... ;)