Why become a member? ×

1x15 love...

SisterAbdullahX

I think it's time I owned up to it, can't hide it any longer...I think I'm in love with 15" speakers. I know it's not cool but why fight it? Even the crappy Carlsbro or whatever it was 1x15 rehearsal room combo tonight sounded great, full, deep, clear. I just can't get my head around it!
Those Baer 15s look nice, as do the TKSs. Heaven help me!

Way back in the good old days before I found Basschat and developed incurable GAS, I only had two cabs. These were the Hartke 115XL and 410XL. Most of the time I only gigged the 15 and it sounded beautifully deep but also punchy and even slap cut through as clear as you'd like. And it was a much easier schlep than the 90lb 410.

Edited by Sparky Mark

With trepidation, and a touch of inspiration from Mr wallbassist, I've ordered 2 new Eich 115XS cabs, which are virtually identical to those Tecamp cabs. Should be here in 2-3 weeks.......

I say trepidation, because I have it in my mind (somewhat unwarranted I know) that 15" speakers are big, slow and old fashioned sounding (whatever the hell that is!). But I really know this isn't the case and I'm so looking forward to receiving the Eich cabs.

D.

I've used lots of cabs over the years, but funnily enough the ones that I end up hanging on to are the ones with fifteens in them. I just like the sound of those cabs. Whether that is purely down to the diameter of the driver is questionable, but it is true nonetheless. :)

I deliberately opted for Barefaced Dubsters (2x15) when they were a new(ish) model. They more than made up for my six Tannoy 15s, and I don't ever see me looking seriously at anything else (although the recently 'announced' Barefaced 18 sub might be fun)...
.....stop it.....stop it now......

:yarr:

[quote name='deksawyer' timestamp='1456831084' post='2992579']
With trepidation, and a touch of inspiration from Mr wallbassist, I've ordered 2 new Eich 115XS cabs, which are virtually identical to those Tecamp cabs. Should be here in 2-3 weeks.......

I say trepidation, because I have it in my mind (somewhat unwarranted I know) that 15" speakers are big, slow and old fashioned sounding (whatever the hell that is!). But I really know this isn't the case and I'm so looking forward to receiving the Eich cabs.

D.
[/quote]

I'm looking forward to you receiving those Eich cabs as well cos I wanna know what you think of them!

By the way, how will the Eichs differ from the TecAmp 15s? Do they have a tweeter or 4" paper cone? And how many pennies?

Edited by SisterAbdullahX

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1456833157' post='2992621']
I deliberately opted for Barefaced Dubsters (2x15) when they were a new(ish) model. They more than made up for my six Tannoy 15s, and I don't ever see me looking seriously at anything else (although the recently 'announced' Barefaced 18 sub might be fun)...
.....stop it.....stop it now......

:yarr:
[/quote]

Barefaced dubster here as well. I use it to stress test buildings and put loud drummers in their place. For smaller venues a Shermann custom build 15/6/1 Kappalite 3015LF. Both are adequate :) the 3015LFs do like plenty of Watts.

Edited by 3below

Yeah, every time I play through a 15 I find myself loving it, yet when the time comes to buy a cab I always think better go for 10's. Just don't have the courage of my convictions! I seem to have been conditioned into thinking a 15 will always be lacking something..."what if I need a Marcus Miller tone at any point? 15s can't do that! Or what if I need more mids? They can't do that, better with 12s..."

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1456861113' post='2993024']
Yeah, every time I play through a 15 I find myself loving it, yet when the time comes to buy a cab I always think better go for 10's. Just don't have the courage of my convictions! I seem to have been conditioned into thinking a 15 will always be lacking something..."what if I need a Marcus Miller tone at any point? 15s can't do that! Or what if I need more mids? They can't do that, better with 12s..."
[/quote]

Problem solved. Just succumb to GAS, have one of everything. :mellow:

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1456824101' post='2992490']
I've been gigging two Tecamp 15" cabs since the start of the year, and I must say they sound the biz. They each have a 4" driver as well, which sweetens them up a touch.

Here's one from a little "cave time" day I had a couple of weeks ago :)

[/quote]

Lovely!

[quote name='deksawyer' timestamp='1456831084' post='2992579']
[/quote]

I feel another amp/cab get together coming on....

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1456858708' post='2992985']
I'm looking forward to you receiving those Eich cabs as well cos I wanna know what you think of them!

By the way, how will the Eichs differ from the TecAmp 15s? Do they have a tweeter or 4" paper cone? And how many pennies?
[/quote]

I sure will let you know!

Having sold my Tecamp M212 a few weeks ago to the very nice Derek from Edinburgh, I'm having to use my rehearsal cabs for a gig there this coming Friday - 2 heavy-ish Yamaha BBT210 cabs and a Mesa D-800. Not looking forward to lifting those cabs unless some miracle delivery arrives by the end of the week from Germany.

D.