Why become a member? ×

DHA VT1-EQ-Bass "custom"

jimbartlett

Hi guys,

Just a quick post to say how happy I am with the pedal Dave just built for me. I asked for his standard VT1-EQ-Di-Std-Bass but requested it without the DI, headphone amp, colour and aux input as I had no use for these.

I've cranked the I/P to full, Gain to 12 o'clock, Bright switch on, a little boost of Bass and the level evened out with the Clean Boost switch/dial. Great valve overdrive sound and tone, couldn't be happier. This is the pedal in it's original form that Dave sells : [url="http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page53.html"]http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page53.html[/url]

Anyone else have a DHA pedal they use?

Thanks

Jim

Another very, very happy VT1-DI-EQ user here. I use mine as a rehearsal rig, as well as for every gig, so mine's got the aux in and headphone out sockets, but it's my 'go to' pedal for pretty much everything.

The lead guitarist at the weekend complimented me on my 'Frank Bello' tone. I'll take that.

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1456934415' post='2993748']
Does yours have the valve sticking out of the back like the one on the website? I'm surprised he did that - mounting something made of glass on the outside of a pedal meant to go on the floor seems like an odd decision!
[/quote]

It's sticking out a little bit at the back, doesn't get in the way though.

Have any of you changed valves? I'm still playing around with it at the moment to get different tones. Any recommendations for settings on there I should try for a nice subtle warmth?

Edited by jimbartlett

[quote name='jimbartlett' timestamp='1457084946' post='2995080']

It's sticking out a little bit at the back, doesn't get in the way though.

Have any of you changed valves? I'm still playing around with it at the moment to get different tones. Any recommendations for settings on there I should try for a nice subtle warmth?
[/quote]

I changed mine cos I dropped it and shattered the original!

• 2 weeks later...

[URL=http://s420.photobucket.com/user/spongebob_sqaurepants/media/6B70E117-0FA9-4371-8E6B-B438D1E29480_zpsxj677lnd.jpg.html][IMG]http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp287/spongebob_sqaurepants/6B70E117-0FA9-4371-8E6B-B438D1E29480_zpsxj677lnd.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Wow, I had never heard of these pedals before. They look and sound fantastic,absolute bargain at the price as well! I'll hopefully soon be getting my hands on one of these. Has anybody tried swapping the tubes with different ones? Also has anyone plugged it directly into the power section of an amp?

[quote name='Callumjord' timestamp='1458414495' post='3007504']
Wow, I had never heard of these pedals before. They look and sound fantastic,absolute bargain at the price as well! I'll hopefully soon be getting my hands on one of these. Has anybody tried swapping the tubes with different ones? Also has anyone plugged it directly into the power section of an amp?
[/quote]

I've tried both of those. The stock valve is a 12AX7 (ECC83 in old money), but I've used a 12AU7 (ECC82) before now, that just gives less gain, but like any preamp valve, each brand will deliver a slightly different tone. I played a gig a while back where I just took a Laney SP300 power amp and ran the output of the VT1 into that. I bridged the power amp to deliver 300W to one channel and used a single Barefaced Compact cab. Sounded brilliant.

My VT1-DI-EQ is my swiss army pedal. I haven't gigged without one for years now. Evan at festival setups, where stage turnarounds are fairly brisk, I velcro it to the top of my amp head, as often there's not time to muck about with pedal boards.

Yea that's what a plan to do when I upgrade my gig rig, currently it's a tech 21 vt into a line 6 lowdown combo but my plan is to use this pre amp into a 500watt class D amp into a 2x10. So the rig would be more of a hybrid, all tube warmth from the pre amp and have the portability of a small class D

• 3 weeks later...

Nice! How loud does the 44 go? Do you gig with it?

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1457897063' post='3002803']
[url="http://s420.photobucket.com/user/spongebob_sqaurepants/media/6B70E117-0FA9-4371-8E6B-B438D1E29480_zpsxj677lnd.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

VT1 EQ DI MK2 user here. Without a doubt, the best pre-amp DI I've ever used. Tried BDDI, VTDI etc and this is streets ahead. Used it straight into the front end of an amp but prefer into power amp/effects return and DI to FOH - sound guys really like it after initial curiosity??!!

Just for kicks, I dropped in an old Mullard ECC82 and it is the cherry on top. Not a massive gain drop over the ECC83 but just seems to have a bit more clarity and warm punch.

I'm thinking of getting a power amp to run this into for gigging, about 1000w @ 4ohms - any recommendations regarding input sensitivity etc?

[quote name='jimbartlett' timestamp='1459855483' post='3020231']
Nice! How loud does the 44 go? Do you gig with it?
[/quote]

Louder than you think although it gets dirtier as you crank it. Guitar it can gig but bass it won't stand up to a drummer doing a pub gig. I use it in church where it copes easily. Very handy little gadget to have tbh. Acoustic gig it could handle if you didn't want über clean

[quote name='doctorbass' timestamp='1459868939' post='3020408']
VT1 EQ DI MK2 user here. Without a doubt, the best pre-amp DI I've ever used. Tried BDDI, VTDI etc and this is streets ahead. Used it straight into the front end of an amp but prefer into power amp/effects return and DI to FOH - sound guys really like it after initial curiosity??!!

Just for kicks, I dropped in an old Mullard ECC82 and it is the cherry on top. Not a massive gain drop over the ECC83 but just seems to have a bit more clarity and warm punch.

I'm thinking of getting a power amp to run this into for gigging, about 1000w @ 4ohms - any recommendations regarding input sensitivity etc?

[/quote]

I'm using mine into a Bagend minima that does 1000 watt at 4 ohms

[quote name='doctorbass' timestamp='1459868939' post='3020408']

[/quote]

Sounds awesome! I'm going to have to try it in the effects return. I've also been thinking about getting another valve to try out so I'll look for a Mullard.

I've got a MK1, but with the MK2 headphone circuit, and it is an awesome bit of a kit. It's the only other effect/amp type bit of kit I kept after I got my multiamp, it's my spare rig all on it's own and good for rehearsals etc where I don't want to take anything bigger. Soemtimes I think I could manage with that and nothing else. For recording, I have the DHA and the multiamp together and I feel like I can get any sound I like.

Also, Dave's customer service is incredible.

[quote name='doctorbass' timestamp='1460046531' post='3022090']
Absolutely - I'm really impressed with it.
[/quote]

I gigged mine the other day straight into a poweramp and 115 and couldn't believe the tone. I sort of want to find a weakness but I can't

Edited by sk8