Why become a member? ×

Wal - Freebies - Macca

spectoremg

Alembic were always clear about no endorsements officially. Mica never responded to questions about Stanley Clarke and Mark King at the time they were asked on the Alembic club forum. I squandered an opportunity to ask Mr King about this when I shared a Jubilee line carriage with him in London last year and have been kicking myself since...

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1481128922' post='3189913']
Yes, I read that as well, for a Christmas present.
[/quote]

The story is pretty well documented in old magazine articles (and orally from Pete Stevens to many). Present from Linda, visited the workshop, looked at a number of fretted and fretless ones. Chose the walnut Mk2 fretted 5...

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1456873414' post='2993205']
The Wal website says McCartney paid for his bass ... [url="http://www.walbasses.co.uk/Our%20History"]http://www.walbasses...k/Our%20History[/url]
[/quote]

so in reality, WE paid for his bass :)

I hope my ten dollar ticket to the Wings Venus and Mars tour gig paid for one of his string trees hehe

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1481178424' post='3190225']

so in reality, WE paid for his bass :)

I hope my ten dollar ticket to the Wings Venus and Mars tour gig paid for one of his string trees hehe
[/quote]

Strictly, since it was a gift from Linda, those with a predeliction for veggie burgers and users of Kodak film paid for it! :)

Just to slightly disagree with this "no freebies" idea...

I got my Wal off of Dean Garcia of Curve fame. He told me that Ian Waller approached him and said that he'd made the bass specifically for him after seeing/hearing him playing with the Eurythmics, was extremely pleased with the book matching on the very stripey facings, and gave it to him for free. According to the story this was only a few months before Waller died, but the bass is dated for 1986 so either Dean's memory is a little faulty and he got it a couple of years before Waller died or it was in fact a bass that had been sat around for a couple of years...possibly it took Waller a couple of years to track him down.

Entirely possible that the idea was to get it seen/heard in Eurythmics videos to tie up the 80's pop market, although Wikipedia tells me that Dean hadn't been playing with them since 1984. He'd never played a Wal before and has never bought another one.

The pay off is that when he went to take it on tour with Curve they objected to him bringing "a sideboard" on stage and made him get a tin of black paint...told me he'd always felt guilty about spoiling the wood that Waller had been so proud of (and fortunately the paint came off nice and easy once I bought it).

OK for clarity... no freebie endorsement deals. I'm aware of several basses which were given as gifts for a variety of reasons (usually around genuine appreciation of bassists' playing or an unsolicited expression of gratitude - both John G Perry and Rob Burns, who were pretty much unpaid evangelists for the marque, got some very special basses sprung on them in this way). So when we say, "no freebies" we really mean no "you're dead famous, have a free bass so long as you promote the company" endorsement freebies. Wal and Pete just didn't operate like that. Paul, Geddy, Justin... all paid for their Wal basses.

Edited by TrevorR