Why become a member? ×

March Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

[size=6][b]>>> NEWSFLASH <<<[/b][/size]

Ped and the Admin team have offered a Basschat polo shirt to the second place winner, regardless of whether it's a joint first place.

It's Christmaaaaas! :santa:

[size=2]...in fact it is currently snowing up here in Manchester.[/size]

Supercharger really is an excellent compressor. I use it a lot. I got this particular version free in one of their Christmas giveaways and have since bought Komplete 10 (which had it included - hence the giveaway) and have now upgraded to Komplete Ultimate 10 which has Supercharger GT - can't wait to give that one a go! And thanks to Basschat for the polo shirt prize too!

Very neat prizes... augurs well for another bumper crop this month !!

However , we would like it to be known that we shall not forsake our ' one monthly voter' ,(maximum) in the pursuit of riches,baubles and prizes.
We shall endevour to keep our 'artistic integrity' intact and not pander to the masses..................mmmmm... :) ;)

Nige

[size=1]but if i do win..large or extra large ?[/size]

This is a first for me. I've actually sat down and planned out how I want to the track to work. Usually I just have an idea for something based on a riff, a melody or a rhythm I've heard somewhere and I let the track grow out of that. So partly because there was interest in reading the behind-the-scenes how-to of a track and partly because I've just upgraded to Komplete Ultimate and have such a choice of instruments I thought I'd plan mine out.

So far it's working out. I feel happier about leaving the track halfway through overnight as I know I've got a plan for it. My write-up will consist of three parts. The planning part, the work-in-progress part and a final piece once it's finished.

For those interested, in the spoiler section below is my plan for my track. Unimaginatively called Tornado.

[spoiler]This track is going to be a cinematic track. No doubt about it. I've got whole bunch of cinematic instruments and the picture has a very cinematic, dramatic feel to it.

The overall feel will be an evolving track starting with gentle wind noises, with some increase in intensity as the tornado approaches. It should drop into a lull to represent the eye of the storm then come back out again with a vengeance before fading off after a romping spell at the end. Kinetic Metal has a preset called Tornado Chimes that sounds ideal for the start.

Session String Pro has some very nice articulations that I could use as twirling frantic high-end strings. These will be used in the build up to the storm coming I think.

Some nice pensive underscore should come in with the strings to build up that drama and I'll build it up to a crescendo with something from Rise and Hit. Not sure which one yet as there are so many to choose from. You can stretch the timing out on these so a long build up is possible with a big reverby crash at the end.

I've used the phrases from Vocalise on a few tracks recently so I'll give those a rest and use the vocal pad sounds to form an ethereal soundscape of sound. I'll see if I can bounce it round the stereo field using an LFO and stereo split from Guitar Rig Pro. I'm bound to have other effects that can do this but I know this one well and I could spend quite some time on the hunt for something.

I may or may not put some Absynth-generated airy synth soundscapes in it. It all depends on how busy it's starting to feel.

So once the intensity is roaring, maybe with the help of some Action Strings mixed with a small cello and horns ensemble from either Session Strings Pro, Miroslav Philharmonik or the Kontakt library, I'll be using some of the nice drum grooves from Action Hits for the main beat. This will be a nice test of how I can switch between the pre-designed scores in this.

The track should build up to a point where I can put in another Rise and Hit that builds up to a noise sounds like it's sucked all of the air out of the room. I've heard one like this when playing around with it. This will be the eye of the tornado (although I'm sure tornadoes are too small to have an eye, that's a hurricane isn't it? Doesn't matter anyway :))

What goes in here will be interesting. I have some really nice airy pianos now and a few tinkles on one of those may help with the calmness although a lot of almost-silence could build up the anticipation of coming back out into the tornado. I know I've heard some broken piano sounds that are a mix of broken wood and piano strings. Most probably this is from Damage as I'm sure they actually went out and wrecked a piano in a scrapyard and sampled the whole destruction. I'm thinking along the lines of the Wizard of OZ with barns and wooden houses being torn apart.

So once I'm done with the silence in the eye, I need to bring a whole load of destruction in. The drums from Damage will do the job here. I'll see if I can keep that drum track going or if I need to bring in some more variety in the drums.

It should probably come to an end now with a series of nice stabbing strings - similar to bit in Star Wars A New Hope when the Death Star gets destroyed. I've got enough dramatic percussion to take on the Death Star itself now so this shouldn't be a problem. Once the final peak has been hit I need to represent the tornado moving away to wreak its havoc elsewhere so I'll bring in whatever piano parts I put into the eye of the storm part and drift out with a melody that's riding on the air.

I'll have a look round my movie sample clips to see if I can find anything appropriate in there but I don't recall anything suitable for this theme right now so it may be without dialogue.

So that's the plan, let's see if I can pull it off![/spoiler]

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1457264120' post='2996780']...
So that's the plan...
[/quote]

Snap..! No great surprise, perhaps, but I'm thinking along these very same lines, with only minor detail differences (I've not the exact same list of fx, but we're close..!). How's it going... Aha..!
[spoiler] I too see this as an unfolding film, recounting the action before, during and after. The photo is simply a mid-point, a snap-shot of a longer event. I've not yet finalised the exact choice of sounds or fx, but have, so far, wild whistling winds, vocal and fx samples and some brass. I'm not sure whether strings have their place; it's a bit shorter than some of my pieces so far, and I run the risk, as usual, of crowding stuff in there. It'll change over the next few days, but the basic plot is set. Now all I need is for Spielberg to pop in and we can finalise..!
I just can't, as yet, imagine how anyone will be able to fit a techno beat over this picture, but I'm sure I'll be, as usual, pleasantly surprised and impressed by other's interpretations. Suspense, eh..? OK, back to the headphones. Another cuppa and we're off again...[/spoiler]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1457273696' post='2996909']
I just can't, as yet, imagine how anyone will be able to fit a techno beat over this picture
[/quote]

Is that shorthand for [i]"I want everyone to compete on my terms this month"[/i]? :lol: Sounds like a challenge!

C'mon Doug; you know full well that a techno beat can be fitted over anything. Whether it [i]should[/i], however, is another matter entirely - as this example proves:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFehcx6vqJ0&list=PLmzVI_EngBqqqgMvaoZkgutplUcny4Zc0[/media]

[b]PS:[/b] I'm going to struggle to get something finished this month - but I haven't missed one yet, so the pressure is on! ;) I'm currently working on a paid project for a small net-label in the US (not big buck$ by any means, but flattering that [i]anyone[/i] wants to pay for my hobby). I'll post up the finished product in the Rec' forum once it's all done...

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1457356738' post='2997640']
Is that shorthand for [i]"I want everyone to compete on my terms this month"[/i]? :lol:...
[/quote]

Now, now, be fair; that was in the 'spoiler' part, so not many folks would even see it..! And yes, you're right, of course; one [i]may [/i]smother profiteroles with ketchup, but the result doesn't count as [i]cordon bleu[/i]. Techno beats are the strobe lighting of the ballet world; used sparingly (ie: once per decade, for eight seconds...), they can be very effective.
But what would [i]I [/i]know, I'm an old drummer that still uses brushes and back-beat hi-hats a lot, so... :blush:

(... and I gave the video 57" before closure; 57" too late. Good gracious, what a massacre..! :shok: )

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1457357652' post='2997664']
But what would [i]I [/i]know, I'm an old drummer that still uses brushes and back-beat hi-hats a lot, so... :blush:
[/quote]

I used to have an old drummer that used brushes. We played Drum n Bass.

[spoiler]

When i saw the picture i got the vibe of someone living close to the edge (especially after hearing the sad story of the man in the picture) so that's kind of what I've taken inspiration from.

I've got a basic structure down and I kind of know how I want it to sound - but we'll see how successful i am. Like Doctor J I'm getting a kind of funk vibe going on. When i listen to what I've got so far it doesn't sound much like the picture, but its what I came up with while looking at the picture.

The song doesn't look like it'll lend itself to verbose lyrics but I'll try to put some vocals in to tie it closer to picture.

We'll see how it turns out.................. I may well throw the toys out of the pram and start from scratch on a completely new song!

[/spoiler]

I've made a good start on mine. Oddly I found bass played up the neck with dirt makes for a better metal guitar sound than the guitar does. I'm gonna use both though.

Not sure Dad's gonna like this one as I'm sticking to my plan. It's got synth pads, guitar riffs, acoustic drums, synth bass & Dad's favourite - programmed techno breakbeat drums. It's 186 bpm too.

I'm nowhere near finished & I'm even gonna try singing again!
:)

have to say i am struggling quite a bit with this one. i did have a fairly cinematic and planned out idea myself but it requires my acoustic and it has started popping for some reason. no idea why but its like the jack is connecting every few seconds and in my experience i really need a line in and a mic to get a good recording from it. so that is that plan out of the window. kind of a shame as it was using an open tuning for half of it and i was really liking the feel of it, perhaps it will surface in another comp where i can finish it properly.
my other issue is that i am thinking of something a bit more rocky but i cant help but slip back into my metal head. which is fun as that side of things very rarely gets an airing, but it sounds cheesy because i havent written anything even remotely metal-ish for years. perhaps it will come out that way in the end, or maybe some new inspiration will grab me but for now i have got nothing. :(

doesnt help that i only got home last night after three days stranded in the woods in a broken land rover with an exploded gearbox. absolutely exhausted now. :rolleyes:

[quote name='christofloffer' timestamp='1457438971' post='2998485']
doesnt help that i only got home last night after three days stranded in the woods in a broken land rover with an exploded gearbox. absolutely exhausted now. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Fighting zombies? Please tell me there were zombies too... :D

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1457441579' post='2998556']
Fighting zombies? Please tell me there were zombies too... :D
[/quote]

that depends on your definition of zombie. i was there for my brothers birthday party so there were some pretty "dawn of the dead" type scenes when people were waking up the next morning. :P

It's always interesting to hear how radical the different reactions to the picture are. For example, the only thing I can see is a late 90s post-grunge/nu-metal album cover. Literally the only sound I can hear in my head. We'll see if I can put anything together in that style that I can tolerate the idea of other people hearing...

I've made a start...
Just for a change it's funk, with fat wah-ed clavinet and even a short flute solo...
My Mrs, however, thinks the lyrics are "juvenile, at best", so I'm debating whether to stick with my 15 year old's attempt at being John Cooper Clarke (I thought it was funny - but not sure how many would agree!) or to write new lyrics...

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1457692872' post='3000970']
well i was going to enter this, but my mixing monitors have packed up, so unless my headphone/hifi combo will give me nice results i might not be init
[/quote]
I do all my production through cans. Then I listen to it through earbuds on my phone, through the dock in the bedroom & through the car speakers so I can hear if any changes need to be made. I have an EDM composer friend that I send a soundcloud link to as well for him to listen to & get feedback from.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1457695435' post='3001000']
I do all my production through cans. Then I listen to it through earbuds on my phone, through the dock in the bedroom & through the car speakers so I can hear if any changes need to be made. I have an EDM composer friend that I send a soundcloud link to as well for him to listen to & get feedback from.
[/quote]
ive done it before, but i've spent the past 6 years using these monitors for everything, so it will be adjustment until i get some new ones.