Why become a member? ×

March Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

[color=#800000][size=5][b]March's Composition Challenge is now underway![/b][/size][/color]

[size=5]Here’s the image for your inspiration… [/size]

[size=5]Click on the 'Spoiler' button below to read the usual rules and caveats:[/size]

[spoiler]By entering the competition you agree to the Basschat Terms and Conditions and Forum Guidelines, which are designed to help ensure the forum remains free of offensive and/or illegal behaviour and material. In a nutshell:

[b]1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive.[/b] If your track contains explicit lyrics, for example, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.

[b]2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track[/b] (ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat accept no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership, which are solely the responsibility of competition entrants. If we spot any breaches of copyright then your track will be removed from the competition.

[b]3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition[/b], taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating![/spoiler]

If you have any questions, just ask.

[size=4][color=#800000][b]The deadline for entries is midnight on Thursday 24th March.[/b][/color][/size]

[b][size=6]>>> SPECIAL PRIZE THIS MONTH <<<[/size][/b]

[size=5]This month’s winner will receive a shiny new plug-in - kindly donated by fellow BC’er [b]Mornats![/b][/size]

Up for grabs is the excellent [b][url="http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/effects/supercharger/"]Supercharger[/url][/b] compressor plug-in by Native Instruments (compatible with both PC and Mac).

Here are the terms of the giveaway set by Mornats:[list=1]
[*][size=2]The licence is for a full version of Native Instruments Supercharger, which will work on a PC or Mac.[/size]
[*][size=2]You'll need a Native Instruments account to transfer the licence into.[/size]
[*][size=2]You should be able to download the software from Native Instruments (if not, I've downloaded the PC and Mac installers that I can send via a Dropbox link). Everything should go well but as this is my first transfer of an NI licence there may be hiccups. I'll do my very best to help with these but if it all goes horribly wrong I won't be able to offer an alternative prize.[/size]
[*][size=2]In the event of me (Mornats) winning it, I'd like the prize to roll over to the following month.[/size]
[*][size=2]In the event of a tie, Mornats shall pick from the two winners and the other person will be offered a lovely Basschat polo shirt. Winners all round![/size]
[*][size=2]If you already have Supercharger you can either 1) accept the transfer anyway and do as you please with the software (even sell it on), 2) offer it to someone else, either the second place entry or the composer of your favourite track or anyone you please 3) offer to have the prize roll over to the following month.[/size]
[*][size=2]Everything to do with the licence transfer will be subject to Native Instruments terms with regards to transfers.[/size]
[*][size=2]Any tech support should be referred to Native Instruments, although I'll do my best to help where I can.[/size]
[*][size=2]Other than anything in the control of Native Instruments, the above will be considered flexible if something happens that's not covered by the above.[/size]
[*][size=2]Rock on and do the challenge proud![/size]
[/list]
[size=2][/size]

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1456876735' post='2993237']
PS: whilst you're here... have a listen and vote in the all new [b]Basschat Noodle Bar[/b] challenge!...
[/quote]

No, I'm not going to write up a 5-page diatribe on the merits or otherwise of each of these ^^ fine works, so it's no use begging me to..!

Even if you ask nicely..!

Or at all.

No-one..?

OK, then, I'll leave by the back door... :blush:

(But I'll certainly be giving them all a good spin and choosing my favourites..! :lol: )

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1456877169' post='2993239']
No, I'm not going to write up a 5-page diatribe
[/quote]

Diatribe.......One of my favourite words !!

Nice image Skol......I'm getting Dorothy meets Angus meets Fogerty (John or Carl !) meets Sibelius !!!!!

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1456911662' post='2993377']
I'm getting [b]Nile Rodgers vs Prince in a mid-80's bare knuckle barfight[/b].
[/quote]

I don't know who Nile Rodgers is but my money is on him... Prince is on a very short list of people I would be confident of beating in a bare-knuckle barfight... :mellow:

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1456913015' post='2993402']
Haha, really?! :lol: Spill then beans... who is he?
[/quote]
his name is Tim Samaras, widely regarded as one of the most respected weather engineer in the storm chasing field. sadly he got caught out of position in may 2013 and the storm they were analysing shifted and his truck was flipped by a tornado and he and his team (which consisted of his son and best friend) were killed.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1456913426' post='2993407']
his name is Tim Samaras, widely regarded as one of the most respected weather engineer in the storm chasing field. sadly he got caught out of position in may 2013 and the storm they were analysing shifted and his truck was flipped by a tornado and he and his team (which consisted of his son and best friend) were killed.
[/quote]

Bloody hell, that's a tragic story. I thought the image had a really [i]tangible[/i] sense of danger about it - obviously a very genuine risk for anyone involved in storm chasing.

We can at least try to do the man proud, in our own way!

Bloody hell, this is what the car looked like after being "struck by a subvortex, which generates the highest winds, and some of which were moving at 175 mph within the parent tornado. Their Chevy Cobalt was distinguishable as a vehicle to the first responding sheriff's deputy only due to its single intact wheel, as it had been compressed into a ball of metal after the tornado tumbled it approximately half a mile".

[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Samaras#/media/File:2013_El_Reno_tornado_Samaras_Car.jpg"]https://en.wikipedia...Samaras_Car.jpg[/url]

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1456925126' post='2993573']
Bloody hell, this is what the car looked like after being "struck by a subvortex, which generates the highest winds, and some of which were moving at 175 mph within the parent tornado. Their Chevy Cobalt was distinguishable as a vehicle to the first responding sheriff's deputy only due to its single intact wheel, as it had been compressed into a ball of metal after the tornado tumbled it approximately half a mile".

[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Samaras#/media/File:2013_El_Reno_tornado_Samaras_Car.jpg"]https://en.wikipedia...Samaras_Car.jpg[/url]
[/quote]

Wow that's horrible. Very sad.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1456924742' post='2993565']
obviously a very genuine risk for anyone involved in storm chasing.
[/quote]

he was one of the experienced ones dedicated to finding out and measuring them with a view to enhancing warnings etc, and was known for not taking risks. this one however was so violent and unpredictable it caught even the best out. his death had a massive knock on effect in the storm chasing community and some of his larger team don't chase anymore.

Edited by RockfordStone

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1456913426' post='2993407']

[/quote]
Awesome angle, I'm in.

Following on from Dad's Blog idea - documenting your songwriting process - in the voting thread, here's what I'm working on. For those who don't want to know, don't read the bleedin' spoiler :P

[spoiler]Looking at the pic, it almost looks like yer man is controlling the tornado Magneto-style, with his outstretched arms. For all you Metal fans, you'll know Manowar had a ballad called "Master Of The Wind" on their fantastic [i]Triumph Of Steel[/i] album - and if you don't, leave the hall. Well, I'm probably going to borrow that title, but I'm hearing a slinky funk kind of thing in my head which I've been mentally bouncing around on the drives to and from work for the last couple of days. I've got a couple of interacting guitar riffs in mind, very stripped down, which I'll work into verses. I see it getting bigger in the choruses with some envelope filter shenanigans.

I've got the first couple of lines of the chorus vocal in my head too, unfortunately they're falsetto. I can't sing anyway but I'm really not sure I can get anything listenable in a falsetto style but, sure, I'll give it a go. As mentioned, Nile Rodgers vs Prince in a fist fight, think Prince's "Kiss" vocals with some Nile type guitar stuff, some Bootsy bass and you'll get where I think I'm heading with this. I want to really have something, lyrically, which ties into the picture, so given the dude controlling the wind but this kind of stripped down funk I'm aiming for, he isn't going to be a bad guy bent on destruction, he just wants to impress his lady friend, so this is going to be more of a forces-of-nature-manipulating chat-up line. Honestly, that's what I see in the picture :lol:

I always have to hear something in my head first and then work it out with real instruments, I'm useless at just plucking stuff out on a guitar or bass. Tonight, I'll try to work out the guitar riffs and general chord movements and build up the song structure in ProTools. I have a pretty good idea of where I'm going to go with the drums too, so I'll try to map that out. If I can get that done tonight I'll be a happy Doctor J.

End communication.[/spoiler]

:yarr:

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1457003456' post='2994336']
Are there any rules for these? For example: must contain bass or must only contain bass?

Or is is just a free-for-all write something job?
[/quote]

These are the Rules, from the 'spoiler' in Skol's first post, above...

[color=#800080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]By entering the competition you agree to the Basschat Terms and Conditions and Forum Guidelines, which are designed to help ensure the forum remains free of offensive and/or illegal behaviour and material. In a nutshell:[/font]

[b]1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive.[/b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] If your track contains explicit lyrics, for example, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.[/font]

[b]2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track[/b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] (ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat accept no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership, which are solely the responsibility of competition entrants. If we spot any breaches of copyright then your track will be removed from the competition.[/font]

[b]3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition[/b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif], taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating![/font][/color]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Other than that, it's your call. A cappella singing, drum solo, philharmonic orchestra, punk steel drums... It's all good (except bagpipes; no-one would vote for 'em anyway..! :rolleyes:). Any or no instrumentation, with or without vocals, any genre (yes, even 'jazz'..! :o). Off you go, then; have fun...[/color][/font]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hope this helps...[/font][/color]

Oh, sorry; how remiss of me. Yes, bagpipes, whilst being technically permissible, are frowned upon by real musicians, and considered unsuitable for human ears. OK, I can hear you already, suggesting that that last part may not concern bass players; you may be right, but some of therm are bigger than me, so I'll refrain from continuing that tack
Having said that, I'll admit to having succeeded in slipping a whole skirl of bagpipes (well, 3 zukras, A Libyan instrument, see below...)

...into a piece presented in a previous month's Challenge...

[url="https://soundcloud.com/dad3353/elegy-written-for-an-allergic-stump"]Elegy Written For An Allergic Stump ...[/url]

...and think I got away with it, incredibly finishing joint third; maybe I was just lucky..?
So, bagpipes are OK..? No, no, good sir (or madam, as the case may be...); the use of Northumbrian smallpipes may be tolerable, but no more, Uillean pipes may have a place in the musical world, but Highland pipes..? Insist if you will, try your luck, compose using whatever takes your fancy, but be aware that the remains of the last contender with such ideas has still not been pieced together by the finest forensic experts of Chichester.
Hoping that this clarifies matters; I'll leave you with the strongest of recommendations... No bagpipes. :mellow: