Why become a member? ×

Squier Jazzmasters/Jags

AustinArto

I own an '98 MIJ (or possibly CIJ, I can't recall and it's in a case atm) Jazzmaster and had a look at the Squiers a while ago when I was after a backup guitar. The ones with the regular JM/Jag pickups (Vintage Modified) didn't feel much like my Japanese version, the bodies were very thick and they felt a little clunky. The build quality was also very hit and miss, some looked OK but a couple were terrible. I had a look at the neck pocket and could see light through a gap between the neck heel and pocket on one of them. The build quality put me off plugging one in so I can't comment on the amplified tone. The J Mascis sig one played a lot better and seemed to be better quality overall so might be worth a look, although they are more expensive.

If you can get to a shop with a few in stock it'd be worth having a look at them and picking a good one if they float your boat but I wouldn't buy one blind because of the build quality inconsistency.

You might be able to get one of the Japanese models from the 90's for a more reasonable price (£500 very roughly) than a USA model but be warned, the pickups aren't accurate to the originals. The pickup windings are taller and don't go as far towards the edge of the housing as the originals and so the tone is different. They're not terrible but I didn't like them and swapped them out for a pair of Mojo pickups. As they're niche instruments, the prices of after market pickups are a lot higher than regular single coils or humbuckers so you might need to factor that into your budget.

Any other questions, give me a shout.

• 1 month later...

The price of Japanese Jaguars and Jazzmasters is getting silly at the moment, with people asking anywhere between £650-£950, though unsurprisingly, they don't seem to be actually selling. I wouldn't pay over £550 unless you absolutely *have* to get that particular rare colour.

J Mascis Jazzmaster is amazing, I had it and totally loved it. Rich, vintage, loud sounding. Sold it only because it was gathering dust and I did not want such a great guitar be left unplayed.

I had an issue with the tremolo bridge but sorted it out upon inspection (incorrectly drilled holes for screws, assembled into the wrong holes, I took it apart, screwed it back into the correct ones, was perfect then). So it is worth having a go at one before buying, or buy it from an online store that is easy on returns.

Have just checked prices - I think they got a bit more expensive. Still worth the money I suppose.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A friend of mine is currently into Johnny Marr after reading his autobiography and so has been looking at the JM Jag. Of course he has shared his interest with me and I now have offset GAS, with the Jazzmaster really floating my boat looks-wise. The J Mascis model looks very tempting (not the gold p/g though, but that's an easy fix) and I heard a demo of one with Kinman Fatmasters fitted which sounded lush without the unwanted hum. I must resist!