Why become a member? ×

Behringer X18 Air

paulmcnamara

Have been using a Behringer Xenyx 2442 usb mixer for PA and monitoring using Behringer personal monitor mixers, but am thinking of moving over to the Behringer X18 Air Mixer unit with an iPad.
Just wondering if anyone has used the X18 and would wish to share their thoughts?

Regards, Paul.

I've got a 16, the router has been ok so far on mine, maybe if you plan on mixing from the back of a large room a better router might be needed? 4 people can log in at once and they are not password secured so an external router would stop a savvy punter logging into your mixer! I've thought about that though, I have two devices with the app at each gig so I'm going to get two other band members to log in too which will block anyone else even if it is unlikely.

[quote name='paulmcnamara' timestamp='1457366510' post='2997811']
Is the internal router not up to the job?
[/quote]

Ive never had a problem with the router. You can set a password on the router and that will stop others loggin onto it.
I would recommend the X18 to anyone. It's been fantastic

We've got the Soundcraf Ui16 - that's nice too - we've had a couple of issues with certain devices not connecting to the wifi - but we (the techie drummer anyway!) thinks that he's worked out why that was and it's down to how we had something configured or summat. Will see at next gigs - but so many useful bells and whistles.

[quote name='paulmcnamara' timestamp='1457391450' post='2998167']
Thanks for the info.
Could one use something like Airport Express?
[/quote]

Airport express would be a good choice - you could use it to then airplay tunes from your iPad.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1457427323' post='2998287']
Ive never had a problem with the router. You can set a password on the router and that will stop others loggin onto it.
I would recommend the X18 to anyone. It's been fantastic
[/quote]
Indeed you can. It's only WEP... which to be honest, for the average gig is going to be good enough as a deterrent but as people can probably gather, it's easily crackable with the right tools and a laptop.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1457437899' post='2998470']
Indeed you can. It's only WEP... which to be honest, for the average gig is going to be good enough as a deterrent but as people can probably gather, it's easily crackable with the right tools and a laptop.
[/quote]

You are right. Perhaps better to sort the problem before it happens rather than after... Proactive vs Reactive and all that :rolleyes:

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1457438106' post='2998474']
You are right. Perhaps better to sort the problem before it happens rather than after... Proactive vs Reactive and all that :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Just looking at the software... I'm not too sure now... You may be able to use stronger encryption after all. I'm behind the times maybe!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1457440563' post='2998529']
Just looking at the software... I'm not too sure now... You may be able to use stronger encryption after all. I'm behind the times maybe!

[/quote]

On the tech side of things, i'm not up to speed.
I do know our router is password protected though.
I put the password on there myself.
I'm just hoping that is enough for our needs really

pa55word

I work in cloud services, and if I had a quid for every client setup we come across that uses this...well, I'd have free wifi access, anyway... :D

We recently started using an XR16, and it's very good indeed...

I've been using the XR-18 for since they first came out and I have nothing but praise for the mixer. Yes, the software is a bit all over the place with different versions doing different things (X-Air edit on Mac or PC having different features, same with iPad and Android apps) but other than that its fine. I use X-Air Edit on the Mac at home to setup the mixer for a gig, then use an iPad mini from the stage to mix the show. Generally, I can do most of what I want to do on the iPad.

I do use an external router (AirPort Express because I wanted the ability to have the iPad connected wirelessly and the Mac connected over Ethernet to record, but I've never actually gotten around to doing this.

Finally, if you have one, or are considering buying one, I'd recommend joining the Behringer X-Air forum on their website. Loads of really useful end user experience and advice and guidance.

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1457475446' post='2998998']
I've been using the XR-18 for since they first came out and I have nothing but praise for the mixer. Yes, the software is a bit all over the place with different versions doing different things (X-Air edit on Mac or PC having different features, same with iPad and Android apps) but other than that its fine. I use X-Air Edit on the Mac at home to setup the mixer for a gig, then use an iPad mini from the stage to mix the show. Generally, I can do most of what I want to do on the iPad.

I do use an external router (AirPort Express because I wanted the ability to have the iPad connected wirelessly and the Mac connected over Ethernet to record, but I've never actually gotten around to doing this.

Finally, if you have one, or are considering buying one, I'd recommend joining the Behringer X-Air forum on their website. Loads of really useful end user experience and advice and guidance.
[/quote]

Thanks JPJ for thel info and the forum details, very helpful.

I have tried out the X18/iPad in rehearsal and am very impressed. Also very nice the way it interfaces with Behringer's own monitoring system (P16 personal monitors).

ATB, Paul.

Edited by paulmcnamara

• 1 month later...

How are these units for on-the-fly edits during a gig? Are they less immediate than a traditional analogue desk?

The rest of the band seem wary of taking the jump from an analogue desk which has all the functionality immediately available.

However when you want 4 aux outs as we do, choice becomes more limited in the analogue market it seems.

I have my tablet on a music stand with the screen function set to no switch off, you can choose exactly what functions you have as the overview, so main out volume and each of the input channel sliders at hand. Mine is also colour coded with each band member having a coloured xlr lead to match their slider on the desk, sad but true!

I have the ipad next to me.
All the channel volumes are immediately accessed via a slider, and with one button press you can get into every channels EQ, or effects, or level through the monitor.
It's pretty immediate.
It did take me a good few hours of tinkering to know where to go to get to certain things, but its fine now.
I'd compare it to getting to know how to work your new phone.
Little tricky to navigate at first, but once you have it, it's like second nature.
All our inputs are colour coded too. Green for drums, pink for BVs , blue for instruments etc.
But i like Mr Sunburts idea of colour coding every lead to make setups even quicker