Why become a member? ×

Tentative tuning...

highwayman

So, my first bass came today and I have a lesson booked next week. I've bought the GuitarToolkit app for my phone and am trying to use the tuner to tune my bass. I've managed to do the D & G strings, though the tuner's saying "D2" & "G2" - what does the 2 mean?
As for the E & A strings, I've yet to get them to tune as I'm worried that I'll snap them trying to get there and I don't know how far off I am from the various letters flashing up; I know that my tutor will get me on track but I'd like it in tune so I can practice what I was taught on my first taster lesson.

Firstly if you are tuning your E and A strings to a point where you think they might snap, loosen them a bit because they're probably tuned sharp (too tight).
It shouldn't take much turning of the tuners to hit the "next" note, whatever that may be.
Im guessing here, but im assuming "D2" & "G2" mean you've tuned them an octave too high. This means you'd need to slacken the tuning pegs, to get back to D and G "standard"
Hopefully someone with this app could confirm this to be the case.
Please excuse me if i'm stating the obvious to you here, but you said you are a beginner so....

[quote name='highwayman' timestamp='1457440895' post='2998538']... the tuner's saying "D2" & "G2" - what does the 2 mean?...
[/quote]

If you imagine a piano keyboard, you can see that there are several octaves, and the note 'C' occurs several times. The number denotes which octave 'C' is being referenced. 'Middle C' (the one nearest the lock on the lid..?) is 'C4', the octave lower is 'C3' and so on. Most pianos start with 'A0' and work up from there. The number increments at each 'C', so the lowest 'C' on a piano is 'C1'. The 'E' on a bass guitar should be tuned to 'E1', the 'A' to 'A1', the 'D' to 'D2' and the 'G' to 'G2'.
Hope this helps.

[quote name='highwayman' timestamp='1457474956' post='2998994']
Thank you both, lesson moved early to Thurs now; going to make sure that we spend the first part on tuning!
[/quote]

Sounds good.

I've had a tuning a on my phone. It wasn't much good for bass. I think the deep tones were out it's range.

If i may I'd suggest you loosen off the strings on your bass until you get it checked out properly. I'm sure you'll find it worth investing in a good electronic tuner. I use a Korg one that doubles as a metronome.

In the meantime, you can pick up some good info at studybass.com and scottsbasslessons.com

Good luck

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1457478510' post='2999030']...a food electronic tuner...
[/quote]

If you'll permit the correction of an obvious spelling error here..? This should be '... a food electronic tuna ...' (although I think you'll find that it's [i]eels [/i]that are electric, not tuna...). ;)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1457478890' post='2999034']

If you'll permit the correction of an obvious spelling error here..? This should be '... a food electronic tuna ...' (although I think you'll find that it's [i]eels [/i]that are electric, not tuna...). ;)
[/quote]

Thanks Dad. So much appreciated.

Now corrected.