Why become a member? ×

Fuming!!

smurfitt

Just bought a Ray34 Ive been after that was an import from Asia. Plug in and just get a load of fuzz and a high pitch squeal. Great - wanted to play it tonight so absolutely snorting steam from ears and nose.
Took battery out which was a bit corroded but not actually leaked inside the battery compartment or onto the connectors. Played the bass as passive and everything sounded fine. Thought it must need a battery replacement so put a new one in and same thing happened.
Didnt want to send it back when it just cost me an arm and a leg in shipping and paypal cost as well as import duty, VAT etc so got an electrician friend to look at it. He took the battery wiring connectors off (so I cant send it back now anyway) and put the wires directly on the battery and it played fine. The wiring is so short in that compartment that I'm assuming it got pulled loose. I'm hoping when he fits new connectors it will be ok but how would I check if its the preamp and what could possibly be wrong with it as the bass is brand new?

Edited by smurfitt

If your friend put the power wires directly onto the battery and it played fine then why would there be a problem with the preamp? Don't worry about it until the battery is back in a properly wired up battery compartment.

If it works with the bare wires into the battery terminals it must be the connector that's causing the problem. Maybe the battery had leaked and damaged the connections or caused a short in it. Or like you say the wires have somehow been stretched and something isn't making proper contact.
I agree it's incredibly frustrating when you've been waiting for something to turn up and it's got issues. Hopefully a new connector will sort it and it's cheaper than return courier fees.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1457560122' post='2999740']
If it works with the bare wires into the battery terminals it must be the connector that's causing the problem.
[/quote]

Just wire up one of [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PP3-9V-Battery-Connector-Clip-Tinned-Wire-Leads-150mm-1-5-10-25-50-pcs/281784297727?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3De47a82eb1eef429ca67bda45b328d94f%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D322007189889"]these [/url]and your sorted.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1457560122' post='2999740']
If it works with the bare wires into the battery terminals it must be the connector that's causing the problem. Maybe the battery had leaked and damaged the connections or caused a short in it. Or like you say the wires have somehow been stretched and something isn't making proper contact.
I agree it's incredibly frustrating when you've been waiting for something to turn up and it's got issues. Hopefully a new connector will sort it and it's cheaper than return courier fees.
[/quote]

I'm not sure if you had the bass shipped to you, if yes I'm only going to buy from boutique brick and mirror shops.

Blue

It's a legitimate chain I purchased from and genuine article. I knew it was a display model, probably not been touched for a while going by corrosion on the battery and they obviously didn't check it before sending.
Thanks for the assurance it's just the battery connectors.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1457606407' post='3000020']
Blue

Then why the uncertainty over whether it was shipped or not ?
[/quote]I think it is best to let it go. He obviously never read the post properly.

Edited by timmo

[quote name='skampino' timestamp='1457568568' post='2999825']
It's a legitimate chain I purchased from and genuine article. I knew it was a display model, probably not been touched for a while going by corrosion on the battery and they obviously didn't check it before sending.
Thanks for the assurance it's just the battery connectors.
[/quote]

I'm confused... I thought the OP was smurfitt...

edit: aaah! :)

Edited by mcnach

Please refrain from using dramatic face book esque thread titles like "fuming!" With no further explaination Or ill be forced to resond with the stock response girly of " y babe wots up? In box me "

Hope you get it sorted pal, get down to maplins for a new bat clip...