Why become a member? ×

Dingwall D Bird London Guitar Show

krispn

I'd be keen to hear from folks who get a chance to try this at the London bass guitar show and if you've managed to grab some YouTube/phone video footage etc to post links for other interested punters.

I'm interested to hear how the triple p/up configuration in wired and how it sounds and what the controls do. I know it's a proto but it's quite the looker!

Edited by krispn

If it had been a 5 string I would have been cashing out my piggy bank and buying a ticket to the show. That bass is more or less my dream bass. Really hope that it lives up to my expectations.

Anyone who gets to play it should definitely get their review up here ASAP.

I read that it's being strung BEAD to take advantage of the scale. its gonna be available from the factory as a 'custom' order initially with a Far East production version expected later in the year a la the Combustion and I'm guessing at combustion prices. The word is that a 5er will follow if the 4 shows a good sales. I think it's a great looking bass and be interesting to see what they settle on p/ups configuration.

This thread needs photos.
[attachment=214448:d bird 1.jpg]
[attachment=214449:d bird 2.jpg]
[attachment=214450:d bird 3.jpg]
[attachment=214451:d bird 4.jpg]
[attachment=214452:d bird 5.jpg]
[attachment=214453:d bird 6.jpg]

Edited by gingerfish

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1457712083' post='3001250']
I'm a huge Dingwall fan but am not enormously taken with the look of it. I might like it more if I see someone playing it, though. I bet it sounds amazing, though.
[/quote]

Same - I'm looking forward to trying it, though.

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1457570433' post='2999834']

I'm interested to hear how the triple p/up configuration in wired and how it sounds and what the controls do. I know it's a proto but it's quite the looker!
[/quote]

I spoke to Sheldon at length throughout the weekend about all things bass. I can tell you (and am excited and touched to find out) that the pickup switching is essentially my 'DV1' series modification that I posted a year ago. What's really interesting is that I further modified my AB1 about 4 months ago and brought it along yesterday to show Sheldon what I had changed. By coincidence both my AB1 and the DBird share the same configuration.

So now they are, coils wired in parallel in each pickup then 'series only' configuration of the pickups : (except I have a PTone in series still)

Neck and Middle
Middle and Bridge
Neck and Bridge
All 3

:)

Sounds great - but I would say that!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1457912856' post='3003043']
I spoke to Sheldon at length throughout the weekend about all things bass. I can tell you (and am excited and touched to find out) that the pickup switching is essentially my 'DV1' series modification that I posted a year ago. What's really interesting is that I further modified my AB1 about 4 months ago and brought it along yesterday to show Sheldon what I had changed. By coincidence both my AB1 and the DBird share the same configuration.

So now they are, coils wired in parallel in each pickup then 'series only' configuration of the pickups : (except I have a PTone in series still)

Neck and Middle
Middle and Bridge
Neck and Bridge
All 3

:)

Sounds great - but I would say that!
[/quote]

But does it sound like a Thunderbird?

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1457947745' post='3003151']
Probably way more versatile than a Thunderbird, but does it sound like one in any of the pickup selections?
[/quote]

No, or at least I don't think it did. Limited experience with Thunderbirds though...

I think with that config you wouldn't be aiming for a T-Bird sound. I guess putting in more tradition p/up's and their placement would get you there. With the wiring on this it looks like the D-Bird would sound huge!

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1457915719' post='3003056']
But does it sound like a Thunderbird?
[/quote]

Well, unfortunately for me, as I was testing out the bass, some selfish *ehem* people were having a volume war behind me that the headphones really had no chance of blocking out. Then, the batteries of the headphone amplifier gave up. I can however say that no, I don't believe the bass sounds exactly like a TBird. It does sound superb though.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1457948463' post='3003156']
No, or at least I don't think it did. Limited experience with Thunderbirds though...
[/quote]

There's also such a wide range of Thunderbirds, there are plenty of Thunderbirds that don't sound like Thunderbirds...well.. other Thunderbirds. My favourite was in the hands of Paul Gray. A '76 I believe!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1457977530' post='3003592']
Which Thunderbird? The latest Gibsons don't sound like the originals and the three Epiphone models all sound different to each other.
[/quote]

I bet you can type that with your eyes closed ;)

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1458028656' post='3003933']
I don't think the point is to make a Dingwall Thunderbird copy though, just a Thunderbird shaped Dingwall, so I'm not surprised it doesn't sound like a T-Bird.
[/quote]

Exactly!!

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1458924213' post='3012181']
Dood

Did you ever do sound clips of you dingmod?
[/quote]

Yes, but I've no idea what I have done with them! - I can do some more, or I can pull up some of my review videos with the bass possibly! I'll have a look!