Why become a member? ×

Double Bass Gig

Jebo1

It's the Bristol Jazz Festival in the next few weeks, and there's a pretty interesting double bass gig with Christian McBride and Edgar Meyer.

Details here: http://www.stgeorgesbristol.co.uk/event/christian-mcbride-edgar-meyer/

It's not often these sort of guys will end up in Bristol (or perhaps even the UK). Anyway, thought it might be worth sharing and might be some interest, so here you go...

I'm going for some inspiration and to hear someone that can actually get more than a dull thump out of their bass :-)

I'm sure they will. Although I heard Danny Thompson at an outdoor festival a few years ago and his sound was abysmal. I suppose it comes down to jazz sound and rock sound.

Here's to inspiration!

Edited by bassace

The trouble with Jazz Festivals is that they often need to employ every pa company and sounding in the region and so many of them have never had to mike up a jazz band before, let alone a double bass. Sound is often of a questionable standard.

I'm going to this. So are most of the bass players in Bristol I think. B)

As it's at St Georges and just the 2 of them I wouldn't be surprised if they play completely acoustic or just with mics.

I turned up early for an orchestra gig there a few weeks a go and had the stage to myself for half an hour, it was great fun playing solo in that acoustic. Not sure the harp player who turned halfway through and tried to tune up would agree though :rolleyes:

There is so much on. The main festival website has all the main gigs, but there are loads of fringe ones out there. I'll see if I can find a list...

If you do come down send me a DM. I'm out with the missis but I'm sure we'll get a beer in beforehand somewhere if people want an informal DB meet up.

Agreed, even my wife was impressed! As a precursor to the day we'd had a bit of an argument as she's not a huge fan of my unaccompanied practice and the fact I can't get my intonation spot on, so keep having to shift notes slightly to get the right pitch.

These lads didn't have that trouble...!

Personally I would have liked the interaction with some accompanists, that piano was underplayed for my liking, but I understand what they were doing. A great gig.

Oh it was brilliant. It was wonderful. It was the best concert of my life so far. So inspirational and weren't they both having such a lot of fun? I loved it. (In case you hadn't gathered that.) Such a great treat. I wouldn't have bothered with the piano at all! And we were a lovely, friendly, warm audience. I felt like everyone there was a friend. I love Bristol.