Why become a member? ×

Playing bass with a neck, shoulder or back problem? A simple design for a 'strapless' bass stand

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]The problem[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I've developed a neck, back and shoulder problem. [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I suspect its age, wear and tear, and too much repetitive computing/driving/lifting. [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]By January it had become serious : it became too painful to support my bass on a shoulder strap. I had to cancel 6 gigs.....ouch ! I'm waiting on x-rays, doc and physio advice.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Other forum members clearly suffer bad back neck problems - you see many queries about the weight of basses in the For Sale section, .[/font]

[b][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]A possible solution ?[/font][/b]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I thought I would try to get rid the strap altogether, and design a stand which could : [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]- Allow me to play the bass without supporting it on my shoulder[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]- Allow the bass to be played in a normal position[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]- Can be built easily and.... [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]- Out of things we can buy

in music shops[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Here is my Mk1 design :[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]What you need to build it[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]A. A rather solid 'conductors' type music stand. Mine was made by Stagg. [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The [b]key feature[/b] is that when dismantled, the top of the pole should have a sturdy metal ring with a hole in it.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]B. A Quiklock electric guitar stand

.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]Assembly[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]

1. Drill a hole in the Quiklock stand

(in the picture the hole is lower centre )[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2. Attach the Quiklock stand to the top of the music stand using a bolt, washers, rubber washers, and ( preferably locking type) nuts. Tighten to taste

.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]3. The assembled stand looks like this [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]4. I shortened the two back projections of the guitar stand to spare my genitalia, and so I can get in close to the bass. I kept the front projections though - they are useful for attaching things[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]Useful features[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]5. You can play the bass upright[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]6. Or, by rotating the Quicklok stand to one side, you can put the bass into a normal position.

[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]7. Different basses have different body shapes and these can [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]often [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]be accomodated by adjusting the degree of rotation[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]8. I used a small velcro strap as added security, to keep the stand in the fully rotated position

[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]9 You can put [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]any weight [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]of bass on the stand. Yippee. No problems with late 70s Fenders anymore ![/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]How did it work in practice ?[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]10. I did my first gig for many months a week ago, and it worked a treat. The P bass was surprisingly stable on the stand. At the end of the gig my shoulder was sore, but this was from the movement of my arms in playing. There was none of the dreaded back and shoulder pains[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]Possible downsides[/b]

[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]11. The Stagg conductors music stand isn't that high. At full extension the whole assembly worked for me (I am 5' 7")but I guess tall people may need a taller stand

[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]12. Bass falling off stand = possible neck break= catastrophe = broken foot/ death in the audience. My P bass was remarkably stable on the stand, but even so I took it down during the interval, just in case somebody knocked it. Can't be too careful......[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]Unexpected audience surprise [/b]![/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]13. If you wear black clothing, the audience don't see the stand. It looks like you are wearing the bass.

[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]But when you move away .......the bass remains suspended in mid air.......freaky

![/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]FInally [/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]

[/b]14. If you want to try this at home, it's at your own risk ! I'm not a professional design engineer.

[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]15. Maybe someone can design a Mk2 version that dispenses beer, tea and coffee ?

[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]16. Glad to answer any questions[/font]

[b][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I hope this is useful

. Have fun !![/font][/b]

Colin

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]A BIG thanks to the Forum mods Dad3353 and Hazbeen for teaching me how to post good pics ![/font]

Edited by loweringthetone

[b]The Slinger Hip strap - another solution ? [/b]

http://www.slingerstraps.com/

This strap supports the weight of the guitar/bass on the hips, rather than the shoulder
If it works for you, its going to be a bit more portable than the idea above.

I'll get one and report back

Great prototyping - I know when I saw the Yes rig rundown vid I saw Steve Howe with something like that for his guitar:

[url="http://youtu.be/bsGjl6kP0SI?t=1584"]http://youtu.be/bsGjl6kP0SI?t=1584[/url]

Watch from the start for a pretty facinating discussion with the late, great Chris Squire and some of his extroridary gear.

Ingenious!
I think I'd rather play sitting down if that were an option, rather than using a stand. Or move to an Ashbory bass... it's an entirely different instrument but so much fun, and it can sound great... not nearly as versatile as an electric, 'though.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1458306159' post='3006421']
You can get one off the peg - mbrace stand.

[url="http://www.mbracestand.com/"]http://www.mbracestand.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Excellent Paul. I thought someone must have done this. I just couldn't find one.
Ill pass these details onto my guitarist who has the same problem.

Nothing new under the sun eh ?

C

Ingenious solution.

I'd go for a semi acoustic bass and a waist strap.

I saw John Patitucci with Chick Corea's Elektric Band playing a bass fixed on a stand so there must be something like this already on the market.

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/Music%20and%20Musicians/JuniorBrown4_zps419fc188.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Music%20and%20Musicians/JuniorBrown4_zps419fc188.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

• 2 weeks later...