Why become a member? ×

replacement pickguards for Tokai Jazz

lee650

Hi everyone
I may be taking delivery of a nice Tokai jazz! I'd like to replace the pickguard with a cream pearl, but im not keen on posting the original off. Does anyone have any experience in replacing a tokai guard? And does any other jazz model fit? I'd have thought if one Fit's a CIJ or MIJ fender then it should fit as IIRC thet were made in the same place.

any advice would be appreciated!

Many thanks

ps ive done a search 😆

Edited by lee650

I've had great success getting replacement/new guards from Jack at Jack's instrument services in Manchester.

http://jacksinstrumentservices.com

He'll work from a card template, rather than the original guard if you don't want to send it. He also has a nice selection of really nice sheet materials to choose from and is great to deal with. He has a 3 ply cream pearl here:

http://jacksinstrumentservices.com/custom-scratchplate-cutting.html#colours

He will also cut you a guard from material you supply if you want something unique, or even a vinyI record album!
I use him a lot.

If you're sending a template, make sure it's on something firm. I actually use 1mm sheet styrene for mine, as I can tweak and sand the edges to get it perfect. Mark the centres on all your screws and remove the cutouts for pickups etc. Write on it which edges you want bevelled,etc. The guard you get back will be as accurate as the template you supply.

Karl
Karl

I had an early 80's Tokai Jazz. I put a chrome scratch plate on it.
I just ordered one for a jazz bass. Fitted no problem- exact fit mind you.
I'd suggest getting one to fit a 70's Jazz as these were what the Tokai jazzes were based on.

Thanks loads for thehe replys gents,some useful info there. I remember speaking to Jack on here when he started out! I may pay him a visit his colour choices are ace. I'm pretty set on cream pearl ad the bass is metallic teal, I wonder if mint pearl is doable 😉

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little addition to this topic! In case someone has the same question. I ordered a mint green pearl pickguard from Dragonfire guitars in the states. It was made for a USA standard jazz, however it fit spot on (albeit with a couple of new holes needed). Looks fab and im very pleased, interesting note that this plate did not fit my 82 JV Squire!! I thought these basses were made in the same factory.

cheers

ps for some reason the pix ive put up is on the above post

Edited by lee650