Why become a member? ×

My upright doesn't like the Realist...

bassmayhem

The tone gets very... burpy and ugly with the Realist. The bass - a solid tonewood bass - has a big, full and rich tone acoustically, just like what you (read: I) like to hear from a bass used in jazz music. Nice attack and nice growl! A tone to die/kill for! The only thing I can think is that the pickup is malfunctioning in some way.

To my question: anyone out there who can recommend another type of pickup? (I have a non adjustable bridge.) Or - is there a good microphone I can use that won't make so much problems in a live situation?

The bass is a relatively new - just four years - Kremona Masterbuilt that was custom made for the previous owner: 4/4 scale on 3/4 body. It takes some stretching, since the scale is 110 cm (43.3"), but the tone is worth every stretch... :) :) :) I have Evah Pirazzi "Weich" on the bass now...

Edited by bassmayhem

It's expensive, and a 'permanent' installation, but I cannot recommend the [url="http://wilson-pickups.com/product/k4/"]Wilson K4[/url] highly enough. Simply outstanding results on my bass, and I too use Evah Pirazzi Weich's.

You will always get different results with different basses, and I read mixed reviews about the Wilson prior to purchasing, some saying it's an "outdated pickup" etc, but my goodness how I'm glad I ignored those negative reviews. Hands-down one of the best purchases I've ever made. I have a lovely Westbury bass courtesy of [url="http://www.thesoundpost.co.uk"]The Sound Post[/url] in Wiltshire, I go through a [url="http://www.tonebone.com/pzpre.php"]Radial Tonebone PZ-Pre[/url] acoustic pre-amp, and into an [url="http://www.acousticimg.com/#/ten2_s4/lp"]Acoustic Image Ten2 S4Plus[/url].

I played at the National Portrait Gallery last month, and had my mind blown like never before by the sound. It was a great room for acoustics, and everything just seemed to sonically slot into place, but the Wilson was a huge part of that. The most incredible representation of my bass' natural sound I have ever experienced. Since I've had the Wilson fitted, which was probably at least a good four years ago now, not once have I ever experienced any ounce of feedback on any stage, or in any venue. Just brilliant. Ole Boje Wilson is also a super great guy, & very helpful.

I'm a huge fan of the Fishman Full Circle but it would mean getting it fitted by a luthier unless you have some skills in that area. IME it's the best option for giging with an amp, but there's a lot of different pickups you could try and the results do vary due to different basses, amps, cabs and personal preference.
Mics are great for front of house but harder to get consistent results from when running into your back line. But, some players love them.

Really...what Geoff said (nice to meet you on Sat!). I've used the Realist for ages on EUB and acoustic and liked its darker warmer and slightly thumps tone. But I got a new/old bass last year with a Fishman Full Circle already fitted, and I do prefer the more articulate and balanced sound. I've now got a Realist fitted as a spare, and I can easily swap.

The downside is the fitting is more complicated, it needs to go into an adjustable bridge...but it also limits the bridge setting, as the wire coming out needs to be protected and facing upwards.

Before you give up on the Realist, make sure it is fitted closely, there are no gaps and that the bridge is properly upright, not leaning. The sound can be compromised if it isn't well seated under the bridge foot.

Mics can be great out front - but don't really work for backline monitoring

best of luck

The Realist seems to present problems perhaps more than it should. It's a bit of a Marmite pickup, liked by some but there are others who just can't get on with it. Certainly there are pickups that seem to like different shades of basses. For a dark bass, and in the absence of bridge adjusters, I'd recommend an Underwood that slips into the wing slots or a Shadow of which I have no experience but is widely liked. Both of them will transduce closer to the strings and further from the body and give you a brighter sound, sometimes too bright for some but probably ideal for you bass.

Along with most piezo pickups, and the Underwood is no exception, an impedance-matching preamp will enhance the sound especially if it's got a high- pass filter and phase reverse but in its absence try adjusting the middle frequencies on your amp to get a decent sound.

Good luck with your quest, you will find plenty of helpful people on TB. Just keep asking the questions, however mundane they may seem. That way enlightenment lies.

Edited by bassace

Thanks for all feedback!
I forgot to say, I use the new Fishman Platinum Pro Eq wit notch filter, phase switch and high pass filter, but none of these could cope with the "howling barking dog" midrange produced. I have moved the Realist to another bass; if the tone still sounds as horrible, then there must be some pickup malfunction. The story will continue...

I'm a Schertler stat-b user as well. Extremely natural sounding pickup - very quick, even and direct sound. Amplifies the growl of the instrument really well.
Tbh, I've never liked the Realist as a pickup; always finding it to have a really "hollow" and thin, nasal sound whenever I've played a bass with one fitted. I think it works well for old-school, gut type stuff. Some folks I know who are into that vibe get good results with the Realist.
My old luthier hated the pickup - the design especially. Said folks would come in to get their bass setup as it was sounding bad - he'd say "take that stupid pickup off and listen to your bass then...you got any idea how long it takes me to properly fit and shape a bridge foot to the table? then you go and stick a bit of metal between the two...of course your bass doesn't sound right!"