Why become a member? ×

Joyo clip on tuner = piece of crap

project_c

Ok, I can see you all disagree! No biggie, I'm just a luddite I guess! I do wonder though if the episodes we've all heard of musicians being out of tune on stage and not being able to sort it are a product of the tuner age... Why else?

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1459951848' post='3021191']
Ok, I can see you all disagree! No biggie, I'm just a luddite I guess! I do wonder though if the episodes we've all heard of musicians being out of tune on stage and not being able to sort it are a product of the tuner age... Why else?
[/quote]

I have never met anybody who could not hear their out-of-tuneness and sort it out straight away with or without tuners, as long as they can actually hear themselves. Seriously, who ever gets to the stage they perform in public and they're unable to tune? I think that's a myth.

I can hear if I`m out of tune, however given the noise in many venues - even when the bands are between songs - tuning up again exactly would be a tad difficult. I`d get there though, and usually can tell by how much I can hear that I`m out on how much to turn the tuners. I suppose knowing your instrument helps a lot in these situations, not sure if I`d be able to do it on a brand I wasn`t familiar with.

Hope you don't mind me adding to this? My main instrument is cello and I play in a number of amateur orchestras. In the hubub at the start of a rehearsal, it's difficult to hear the cello over assorted brass and woodwind, so I tune with a Korg chromatic tuner (which I've found to be reliable - I've had it 10 years now). At the start of the reharsal proper, the oboe provides an A which we all check our tuning against. It's usually more-or-less bang-on (because the oboist generally has a tuner switched on to check that hey are giving a steady A = 440 note.

I can tune without it and I can tell if I'm out of tune quite easily too, but he tuner cuts out some faffing around and gets me round the noise. String instruments don't like temperature changes as it effects the length of the strings and they take a while to reach equilibrium.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1459955940' post='3021252']

I have never met anybody who could not hear their out-of-tuneness and sort it out straight away with or without tuners, as long as they can actually hear themselves. Seriously, who ever gets to the stage they perform in public and they're unable to tune? I think that's a myth.
[/quote]

Wow. We clearly don't live in the same town, see the same bands or move in the same circles...most local bands don't seem to cope with the entire concept of tuning, let alone agree to stick to the same one! ;)

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1459960037' post='3021317']
Wow. We clearly don't live in the same town, see the same bands or move in the same circles...most local bands don't seem to cope with the entire concept of tuning, let alone agree to stick to the same one! ;)
[/quote]

and you're not exaggerating a bit for effect?

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1459942947' post='3021064']
Orchestras don't play to small rooms of noisy drunks
[/quote]
Last night of the proms is a large room full of noisy drunks!

Not tried the joyo but I'm very pleased with my TC electronic clip, better than the Snark it replaced.