Why become a member? ×

How to play this? (harmonics)

gapiro

Hi Guys
I'm doing a musical in a couple of weeks time in what will be my first foray into double bass gigging - baptism of fire. (Its about 70/30 BG/DB)
As part of this i've stumbled accross this set of 6 bars - I'm not sure how to play it!
Is it a C harmonic (at 2 octaves?) or is it a C with Harmonic F? And how do you do them with a bow as presumerably its a pinch/tapped harmonic?

Any tips appreciated

That's got me puzzled! :unsure:

My only suggestion is that there is a typo and it should read 15va not 15 ma. As it says 'harmonic sounding' (which is not a harmonic, nor is it the symbol for harmonics) is that you quietly play 'C' two octaves above (on the G-string, oo-er!) to make it sound like a harmonic?

Depending on the tempo, I would play two bars down stroke, 2 up and 2 down to finish. (Then comes the interesting key change to Db, which will keep you on your toes!)

Edit: the batteries ran out on my wireless keyboard halfway through a sentence!)

Edited by philparker

The convention - as much as there is one with notation for harmonics! - would normally be that the normally shaped note indicates the finger position to find the harmonic and the diamond-shaped note indicates the pitch. I'm not sure how that would work in this case though! What show is it? Context might help to work it out...

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1458063633' post='3004356']
The convention - as much as there is one with notation for harmonics! - would normally be that the normally shaped note indicates the finger position to find the harmonic and the diamond-shaped note indicates the pitch. I'm not sure how that would work in this case though! What show is it? Context might help to work it out...
[/quote]

That was my initial thinking too Neil but in this case that would sound an E harmonic. Sometimes it's done the other way round too where the diamond shaped note indicates the finger position. I've played some Ravel pieces where he adds a third note to instruct which string to play the harmonic on.

Just tried playing it how I suggested in my earlier post though and it seems pretty impossible to achieve so not sure I'm right there. Could just be my playing though...

Edited by alexpea

I would try and request guidance from a Higher Authority (e.g. bandleader or musical director) and if in doubt, just play the C, arco and quietly, maybe just with the edge of the bow for a soft and unintrusive sound. I'd lay a chunky bet that no-one will ever comment or even notice.

Another thought - I was noodling about on the bass tonight and although I doubt that this is what the composer intended, if you finger a C but bow right down near the bridge you get some interesting harmonics. Might be an option to try some of that and see how it sounds with the full band.

Thanks guys. First band call is this weekend so will suggest to MD that we have a look at it there.
The show is "Big Fish" - but this is the "12 Chairs" version (12 actors, and a reduced orchestra of 6 rather than 12 from the original)
It looks like this is first time the 12 chairs version has been played in the UK as well.