Why become a member? ×

Which muff fuzz?

Bigwan

Really fancy adding a fuzz to my board. I've asked this question in the DIY thread but thought I'd cast it a bit wider. Which would you choose, and why? Vote then comment please! BTW I'll be building this myself...

For me the tarkin from cog needs to be on that list, awesome deep and punchy fuzz, also love the fuzzrocious grey stache.

And very recently got myself a pumpkin pi from green carrot which is brutal!

Bit of a plug but I demo all of the one I mentioned in this video

http://youtu.be/7cCnca6K5bw

However of the ones you've mentioned I've heard good things about the tall font and the swollen is a really cool fuzz

I like the Big Muff Bass Deluxe, it's easy to get a workable tone and the bottom end isn't bad either. I never use the low pass filter switch though so if I was buying again I'd go for the standard Bass Muff and saved some £s (and space on the board!)

I built a Ram's Head Muff and a Musket into one box with an order switch. I love it.

They both sound very different to each other allowing for a huge variety of sounds. But using them together and being able to change the order adds even more variety and massive amounts of filth. And when you consider all the mods that you can add very easily...

My electronics workbench is almost finished being rebuilt and when it is done I shall finish the mods I still have planned for my muffs (I have named the box Dank & Fetid) and finally get around to recording a demo of it.

I've only tried the swollen pickle of the three listed above (the special edition one with extra internal pots on the outside) and you can get a massive range of sounds from it.

I'm definitely interested to hear how yours both turn out though. Good luck.

Edited by probablypike

If you're building it yourself, then really it's choosing the base circuit then picking the mods that suit you.
For me, on bass anyway, the Green Russian Muff is the best starting point, mod for lower frequencies it you like, add mids, a blend of you like, done.

I built a GGG green Russian, added a mids pot and it's very cool!

Si

I would personally opt for the EHX Bass Big Muff. As with guitar, you can buy hundreds of boutique clones, and some will sound a little better or more to your taste.

I do think that most muff type bass fuzz ends up sounding 'fairly' similar, with a much more obvious difference with electric guitar.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1458723199' post='3010102']
If you're building it yourself, then really it's choosing the base circuit then picking the mods that suit you.
For me, on bass anyway, the Green Russian Muff is the best starting point, mod for lower frequencies it you like, add mids, a blend of you like, done.

Si
[/quote]

Cheers Si. I bought the TFR kit with a pre-drilled 3 hole enclosure (I HATE drilling aluminium!!!) but have a 4 hole one knocking around so could stick a mids knob in no problem, obviously with the appropriate resistor and cap swaps to start from a flat response. I'll try it standard first and tweak it a little as I go like I did with the blueberry that started all this dirt nonsense!

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd give a quick update. Last night was the first opportunity I had to sit down with the TFR and Musket pedals I built.

The Musket is the hands down winner for me. So flexible and can get SUPER aggressive. Just haven't clicked with the TFR, although I'm not convinced I haven't made a boo boo somewhere in the build! It sounds REALLY congested, although it has lots of the standard TFR cap values replaced with higher values for bass use. I think further tinkering is required so I'll add a blend and mid control while I'm at it. Maybe add switchable diode options too...

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1458723199' post='3010102']

Si
[/quote]

Any suggestions on a decent blend circuit Si? Is a paralooper overkill?

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1458659853' post='3009537']
I built a Ram's Head Muff and a Musket into one box with an order switch. I love it.

They both sound very different to each other allowing for a huge variety of sounds. But using them together and being able to change the order adds even more variety and massive amounts of filth. And when you consider all the mods that you can add very easily...

My electronics workbench is almost finished being rebuilt and when it is done I shall finish the mods I still have planned for my muffs (I have named the box Dank & Fetid) and finally get around to recording a demo of it.
[/quote]

This sounds great, I'd buy one!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1460454136' post='3025778']
Thought I'd give a quick update. Last night was the first opportunity I had to sit down with the TFR and Musket pedals I built.

The Musket is the hands down winner for me. So flexible and can get SUPER aggressive. Just haven't clicked with the TFR, although I'm not convinced I haven't made a boo boo somewhere in the build! It sounds REALLY congested, although it has lots of the standard TFR cap values replaced with higher values for bass use. I think further tinkering is required so I'll add a blend and mid control while I'm at it. Maybe add switchable diode options too...

Any suggestions on a decent blend circuit Si? Is a paralooper overkill?
[/quote]

If you don't want to go down the route of a paralooper, just take a look at the Fuzz Dog Blender kit, nice with the onboard pot. Or JMK did a nice layout if you're not fussed about onboard pot:

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3414.0;attach=2704

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1460660948' post='3027741']

If you don't want to go down the route of a paralooper, just take a look at the Fuzz Dog Blender kit, nice with the onboard pot. Or JMK did a nice layout if you're not fussed about onboard pot:

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3414.0;attach=2704

Si
[/quote]

A paralooper might be a handy pedal to have anyway... Don't just have to have a muff in the loop. And I have all the bits for one lying around. I think I've talked myself into one!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1458078797' post='3004597']
For me the tarkin from cog needs to be on that list, awesome deep and punchy fuzz, also love the fuzzrocious grey stache.

And very recently got myself a pumpkin pi from green carrot which is brutal!

Bit of a plug but I demo all of the one I mentioned in this video

[media]http://youtu.be/7cCnca6K5bw[/media]

However of the ones you've mentioned I've heard good things about the tall font and the swollen is a really cool fuzz
[/quote]

If you're plugging the tarkin surely you've got to promote the stache too!

• 3 weeks later...