Why become a member? ×

And now the votes from the North London jury...

BooTheMightyHamster

Greetings and salutations!

Boo - juggler, boardgamer, videogamer, programmer, non-celebrity chef and drummer here!

I've been playing the drums for about 30 years, but back in the late 80's I came across the Talking Heads film 'Stop Making Sense', and when I heard Tina Weymouth play 'Take Me To The River', I thought [i]"I want to play bass!" [/i] Dragging my then bass player down to a variety of music shops over the next few weeks, I finally came home with an Aria Pro II IGB30 and a dumpy little Squier amp that the guy in the shop [i]said[/i] was a bass practice amp, but in truth was just 'a practice amp'.

Over the years I've picked the bass up and put the bass down quite a lot, but never actually done the 'learning to play it' bit in the middle. In fact the only time my poor little bass gets played is when it's out on loan to friends. But a couple of months back I decided that I was finally going to crack that particular nut and went to see a good friend of mine, who has been known to lurk around these here parts under the moniker 'Fat Rich'. Status, on the other hand, know him as 'a very good customer'.

Anyway, once a week I go round to see Rich, and he both teaches and encourages, mostly through gritted teeth. I am currently mastering scales and looking for a bass that doesn't have the frets so bloody far apart at the far end.

May have met a couple of you at the Bass Show on Sunday actually, as we went, I had a good look round, and mentally spent about £20k. Memories of the look on Mrs Boo's face as I walked out of the door re: spending more than the cost of a sandwich however, meant that the plastic stayed resolutely unbent.

Anyway - just thought I'd say hi. Music wise I'll play most things - currently in a Blues / Rock n Roll outfit that gigs about 3 times a year and looks like someone dropped a bunch of instruments into an old people's home, but I've been in a variety of covers / originals bands over the years.

Listening wise, if you, like me, know that Rush is the greatest band that ever was, is or will be, then we'll get along just fine!

Cheers!

Boo

Edited by BooTheMightyHamster

Hey Boo,

Welcome to Basschat. Shame about the practice amp. Shame too on the salesman for not telling you that you can simply have a good amp and a small cab and turn the volume down.

Aria's are good, so you'll soon get playing.

See you around.
Rich