Why become a member? ×

Another Yorkshireman saying hello

MisterT

If there were another 3 of us in here we could have a right good moan about how easy they have it now and how we used to dreeeeeeam of hot gravel for tea.

Anyway... hello boys and girls.

Gear I've owned in the past might be a good way of kicking off.... in no particular order (sieve brain helps with that)...

Roland SH101
Roland TR606
Roland MC202
Roland TR808
Roland TR505
Roland W30
+ some other bits I can't recall but it's a Roland thing for sure. God I miss that 808.

..is a list I'd have written joining a synth forum but I thought I'd start by explaining that I chose the electronic side of music back in the 80s. But the funk has always been strong with me - and if I was to pick up anything, it'd have to be bass. Fast forward to 2 years ago and I bought an Ernie Ball Sterling SB14 second hand from PMT in Leeds along with a TC BG250. Bit much for starting up but wanted to play something that I wanted to pick up day in day out.

Since then I've flogged the combo and gone for an Eden head & 4x10 cab a friend was selling - I couldn't turn it down. It's ruddy massive for the home office but I have a hankering for giving the double glazing a hard time. Either that or I'll be the only bloke to die from the bends 70 miles from water. I also went to the LBGS on Saturday (enjoyed!) and came away with a new toy (ahem, WITH wife's permission I might add - beat that!). Cort A4 in spalted maple and I love it, so much more playable than the Sterling but what do I know, I'm a noob. Worst place to buy a guitar they said....they were right but I just loved the feel. Again, too much for my beginner status but playability means it feels better means I play better. This could be total bow-larks but I am picking it up every single day, have no idea on even basic music theory but I'm having fun and I'm definitely improving very slowly. Very slowly.

So, hello everyone !

• 2 months later...

.... and hello from me in Holmfirth, I've got a roland guitar synth cos one of my Landing s/scales is fitted with a synth pup,
so that's three things in common, bass, roland's and moaning, result !

• 2 months later...

[quote name='MisterT' timestamp='1458245920' post='3006015']
Bit much for starting up but wanted to play something that I wanted to pick up day in day out.
[/quote]

Yes! There is advice on BC to start with a "budget" bass guitar and trade up later "if you get on with it", but I'm completely with you. Start with a "budget" bass and there's a good chance you won't get on with it. Start with a bass you're in love with, and if it's "too much for you" you'll grow into it.

Hope it's going well.

[b]MWH [/b]- I can moan for England. One thing about middle age is you become a proficient moaning git. Huzaaah.

[b]Dad3353 [/b]- Cheers and whereabouts in France are you? Love the place, slightly jealous now.

[b]SpondonBassed [/b]- There's a thing, a beautiful silver box - hang onto it.

[b]Hubrad [/b]- ey up thee-er! West Yorks here too, between Wakey and Ponte.

[b]Josie [/b]- Yep, a friend bought a crap guitar / combo / lead pack for about £150 and he picked it up twice. TBH I don't think his heart was in it anyway, one of those things to tick off a list.

Add a Vanderkley 112MNT to the list...just fell in love with the clean tone - the Eden was too nasal. The BeatBuddy sounds sweet as a nut through it too!