Why become a member? ×

Hello to you all!!

Mooey

Recently found this site whilst searching for gear on line! - This is great. I have been playing for 18 years and been in bands for about as long but only ever really meet other bassists at gigs when we are on the bill with other bands. This is never really the best situation to share info as every one is always trying so hard to look rock and roll!!

It appears that at this point I should tell you all what gear I use - I have been through loads but have settled on the following;

Status "Smart" 5 string. Maple body and graphite neck - Personally configured on line so exactly what I wanted!
Status "Shark" 4 String - A really stripped down bass
Gallien Krueger RB 700-II
Gallien Kruager 210RBH

Literally just ordered the GK gear. Been playing through my old Trace Elliott combo since my Marshall Bynamic Bass 400w 4x10 combo got buggered a few years ago.

Not really an expert on gear to be honest - I just know what I like.

Look forward to chatting with you all

Mooey

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='30160' date='Jul 11 2007, 09:38 AM']Welcome mooey - I use GK stuff myself, you must get a hell of a percussive slap sound with that set up![/quote]
Not played throught the GK gear live yet but the Status has always been really versatile in terms of tone. I play in a 3 piece (Guitar and Drums - 3 part harmonies) so always been loads of room for expressive tones to expand the overall sound. Perhaps if there were a few more egos (by which of course I mean guitarists) in the band I would have to tone this down. Played for a number of years with an original material band (fairly jazz funk / pop in style) and the clickety clack used to fit in there really well.

Out of interest, what compression do you use with your GK set-up??

[quote name='Mooey' post='30808' date='Jul 12 2007, 04:59 PM']Out of interest, what compression do you use with your GK set-up??[/quote]

Nothing at the moment because I mostly play Smith basses which don't have a particularly aggressive top end. As a rule I tend to match my amps to my basses.

I used to play an Eden WT800 and before then an SWR Bass350 but found that hybrid amps generally exaggerated the upper mid notch already present in the tonal character of the Smiths with the result that I couldn't hear myself very well on a noisy stage. I've found the GK's preserve and even boost the upper mids depending on how the boost and woofer/tweeter/volume controls are used and there's no shortage of brightness either.

However I do also have a Stingray and Celinder Jazz which could probably do with a little taming. So I've been helping Dave Hall test a valve compressor, which I'll hopefully have back in time for the South East bassbash on August 18th. With any luck a few others will get to try it out and give their comments.