Why become a member? ×

NBD: Enfield Lionheart Fretless

keefbaker

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1458504732' post='3008179']
Really....,?
[/quote]

I agree, I have a Bass with 1 x P and 2 x J coils. If I could have worked out how to put a MM thing as well I would have done without even thinking twice about it.

And then I went to see if they are available as aftermarket pickups.

They are. But look at the bass in this video. G&L ASAT I presume. SHINYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lImX6bNbcnw[/media]

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1458510130' post='3008254']

Thanks, that makes sense. So I guess there's still a truss rod?

I'm just interested in the tech - not many people manufacturing graphite necks now :(

Cheers
ped
[/quote]

There was indeed a truss rod. I share your concern about lack of graphite instruments. Not in fashion it would seem. It'll come back round though once it's figured out how to making tooling cheaper. If that ever happens.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1458557199' post='3008472']
Incidentally I've been playing it so much I've already marked the fingerboard and it's ebony :blink:

Might have to oil or epoxy it, not that I've any idea how to do that, but the oil should be simple enough.
[/quote]

I've done that to the ebony board on my Peterbuilt fretless after only a couple of months... :blink:

To be honest though fretboard marking is just a natural part of a fretless instrument... doesn't seem to affect the value in any way either.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1458557681' post='3008480']
I've done that to the ebony board on my Peterbuilt fretless after only a couple of months... :blink:

[/quote]

Yeah, I'm just worried that as it's happened after a couple of days it's a problem. The E does grind a bit so that's probably why. I'll switch the rounds for chrome flats and oil it when doing the string change. Should sort it.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1458558285' post='3008491']
Yeah, I'm just worried that as it's happened after a couple of days it's a problem. The E does grind a bit so that's probably why. I'll switch the rounds for chrome flats and oil it when doing the string change. Should sort it.
[/quote]

Flats won't mark the board but I'm not keen on the tone with flats on fretless... I'd just embrace the marking as part of the instruments natural wear and tear :) I have a fretless Wal sixer due next year and I'll be using rounds on that from the outset, if it gets marked so be it. I'd rather that than have the instrument not sounding how I want it too.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1458558966' post='3008503']
Flats won't mark the board but I'm not keen on the tone with flats on fretless... I'd just embrace the marking as part of the instruments natural wear and tear :) I have a fretless Wal sixer due next year and I'll be using rounds on that from the outset, if it gets marked so be it. I'd rather that than have the instrument not sounding how I want it too.
[/quote]

Fair point. Might have to raise the E so it doesn't grind at least.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1458585830' post='3008880']

Yep... deadly serious :lol: but don't ask why, I can't be ar$ed to explain it, tbh.
[/quote]

Classic. Have you played one to experience the options of the pickups yourself? If not, what are you talking about? On what basis or evidence is this statement built on? You've just put a couple of "meh" comments on someone's nbd thread. What's that all about?

On the other hand, I'm sure the op is dying to know why he's wrong to have bought such a gimmicky bass.

Martin's shop isn't that far away from me... so yes, I've visited quite often and he has done other work on my basses.
He had a whole host of Enfields in the demo room obviously.

When I played them, I instantly thought of Wal and what they achieved.
My thoughts on the pick-up stands, I'm afraid, as I've played and heard them.

He was very keen to point out that position of the Pick-up was key which is no surprise.

For other things, I'll always recommend him as you'll know, re pickup guards and definitely spray jobs.
His reference rigs aren't bad either.

Is that classic enough for you..?

Edited by JTUK

Guys I don't need defending on this. I think it's awesome, I only vaguely see the Wal thing, and even then only with the Cannons rather than Lionhearts and I am aware there's two contingents on this forum that won't like this.

a: the "i only like a volume and tone on my bass" crowd.
b: the "this looks vaguely like a Wal if you look through a keyhole into a hall of mirrors that has a Wal in it and has similar ideas on versatility so I'll piss all over it for having the balls to try while inexplicably giving blatant Fender Jazz copies a pass" crowd.

I like it.... loads in fact. That's what matters to me.

Edited by keefbaker

Quite right too... my reservations were always about the block pickup 3-1 idea.
Martin seems convinced by it... and it does what is supposed to do otherwise
he wouldn't put his name on it.

A walk around his premises quickly tells you you get what you pay for.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1458807132' post='3010977']
Nice.
I do like these, especially the fretted versions.
But at over 4k for the top of the range models, I think all I'll be doing is liking.
[/quote]

Like I say, this one was less than 2k and still sounds and plays like it's worth a lot more. I can see myself picking up a fretted version for sure, but not this year.

As to the whole wal thing... please explain to me how this:

Looks like this:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:215020]

Things I see that are similar...

The headstock...

Four knobs....

er....

Seriously, Wal horns are nearly like an SG. Enfield horns are probably the furthest away horns I've seen this side of a singlecut.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1458813034' post='3011060']
As to the whole wal thing... please explain to me how this:

Looks like this:

Things I see that are similar...

The headstock...

Four knobs....

er....

Seriously, Wal horns are nearly like an SG. Enfield horns are probably the furthest away horns I've seen this side of a singlecut.
[/quote]

To be fair the pictures you've posted are of a Mk1 Wal. the people that are saying the Enfield looks like a Wal are probably talking about the Mk2 & Mk3 body shapes, which, it has to be said, the Enfield is very similar to. You've said yourself the headstock is very similar.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1458821486' post='3011196']
I've looked on the wal site and I can see the similarity with the mk3. Still only "similar" in my eyes.
[/quote]

Does it really matter if it is similar?
Wal borrowed heavily from Hayman/Shergold for the Mk1 body shape. They're all at it.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1458821771' post='3011207']
Does it really matter if it is similar?
[/quote]

In all honesty no, it doesn't. I just see people giving Enfield basses a lot of flak for looking similar to Wals but not being Wals, which in my eyes is ridiculous, given the same person will then jizz rainbows over a Sadowsky Jazz copy.

And that doesn't matter either, I just don't like that "Enfields are Wal knockoffs" seems to have got into the basschat received wisdom when they're not.. They're their own thing. The pickups don't work the same way, they don't play the same, they're something else.

Ah well

/drops it.