Why become a member? ×

Another 'recommend me an overdrive' question...

timmyo

Seems like a popular topic :-)

My situation is that I recently sold my roundwound-equipped bass because to my noob-type hands I just prefer the feel of my Squier CV P with flats.

So that's the instrument it needs to work for for a start. I'd like something that's going to give me anything from a little bit of grit, through to something that'd hang in classic rock music if I have a hankering to break out the plectrum. I'm not sure if starting from a P with flats means that so,e pedals,rather than others might be a good first look.

Any ideas?

Thanks

My fave for a warm subtle overdrive to pair with a P and flats is the Bearfoot Blueberry. It's a dark sounding pedal though and not the best for aggressive pick playing (for which I turn to either an Aguilar Agro, Two Notes Le Bass or Pike Vulcan).

Definitely check out the VT Bass, that can cover a wide range and sounds great.

If there's one thing I've learnt from all my years of pedal fiddling though, it's that everyone's ears, opinions, gear and playing styles are different, and you can't even rely on a YouTube demo most of the time. The true path to enlightenment requires buying and selling to try as many as you can to see what works for you!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1458419259' post='3007558']
My fave for a warm subtle overdrive to pair with a P and flats is the Bearfoot Blueberry. It's a dark sounding pedal though and not the best for aggressive pick playing (for which I turn to either an Aguilar Agro, Two Notes Le Bass or Pike Vulcan).

If there's one thing I've learnt from all my years of pedal fiddling though, it's that everyone's ears, opinions, gear and playing styles are different, and you can't even rely on a YouTube demo most of the time. The true path to enlightenment requires buying and selling to try as many as you can to see what works for you!
[/quote]

I can +1 the Blueberry, although mine has a bit of a twist. I built my own to BJFE specs then made a few mods to brighten it a little. As Danny says they're a little dark as standard. For me it's a great pedal. Better than the EHX Bass Soul Food that will no doubt be suggested.

If diy isn't an option you could try the uber bee from bearfoot.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1458419259' post='3007558']

[/quote] Perfectly put :-)

You could pick up a Zoom B3 for the price of most decent drive pedals. The available patches would give you a lot of information on any pedals you might want to try with the added bonus of loads of other effects + tuner + looper in a giggable and very versatile unit. Don't write this piece of kit off because it is a 'multi' unit - it's really very good and fantastic value for the money.

Personally I would steer clear of Zoom multis. They're great for learning about effects, or having a lot of different effects in one box with presets, but if you're at all fussy (like I am) about your overdrive sounds I think you'd be very dissatisfied (like I was).

I've nothing against digital effects though - in fact if I were you I would wait for the Source Audio Aftershock to be released in April, it has a ton of models from tubey overdrive to fuzz, including a model of the Darkglass B3K, and ridiculously in-depth parameter tweaking app to fine tune it:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/npd-sa-aftershock.1211545

I've owned it's its predecessor the OFD and a couple of the models were very good at copping the old school P Bass + tube amp tones.

Edited by dannybuoy

Thanks all so far !

Yes I've been down the 'modestly'priced'multifx' route back in the day as a guitarist and it's really not for me. Fewer, quality, one-knob-one-function pedals are what make me happy.

I already have an EBS Bassiq, Aguilar Octamizer, Markbass (actually DV Mark but it's identical inside) Comrpessore and happy with those - looking for a dedicated overdrive unit to 'finish' the set.

That Source Audio does look interesting, will do some googling.

A friend has recommended a Vintage Microtubes Deluxe

I saw a demo of the Xotic BB Bass Preamp which seemed ok.

As a wise man above said, I probably just need to pick something and begin the never-ending cycle...

I'm in the same position as you are, testing out overdrives. A couple of recommendations:

- if you have the cash flow, ordering a bunch from somewhere like Thomann, or anywhere else with a decent return policy, is not a bad way to go...this way you can a/b different pedals.
- do a little research and find out what people like -- if you can get a decent deal on a popular used pedal in perfect working order, you should be able to flip it easily enough if you don't like it. i've been doing this too with good success.
- there are LOTS of flavors of overdrive (dark like the bearfoot blueberry, transparent like the grizzly or barbershop, light od's without a ton of range, etc., etc.). i am personally in love with the grizzly, it can cover pretty much anything, especially when you consider that it has od AND distortion knobs. just be aware that if you play a passive bass, you might need a boost to feed into it -- i did for my precision. i can also vouch for the bearfoot über bee, although it's not as flexible as the grizzly. both are what you would call 'transparent'.

the aftershock also looks pretty sick, btw...

good luck navigating this rabbit hole :)

Edited by Crazy Otto

You might want to stick the Digitech Hardwire CM-2 OD on your list of things to try, better than some boutique ODs IMO, very transparent and very flexible.

Lots of people like the Solid Gold FX Beta

If you fancy the "real thing" you can't go wrong with DHA preamps and ODs, very good and amazing customer service: [url="http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page8.html"]http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page8.html[/url]

[quote name='adamg67' timestamp='1458562737' post='3008545']
If you fancy the "real thing" you can't go wrong with DHA preamps and ODs, very good and amazing customer service: [url="http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page8.html"]http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page8.html[/url]
[/quote]

+1
Since I picked up a DHA VT2-Twin EQ-Std Bass here last year, my Tone Hammer, VT Bass, CM-2, BBBOD and B3K haven't had a look in. I just stick a Zoom MS 60B in front of the DHA for any additional bits and pieces I need and my big heavy pedalboard stays at home.

Edited by Panamonte

The Xotic BB is nice for very low gain sounds, but I didn't like it so much once the grit really kicks in.

The EHX Bass Sould Food is pretty good sounding, to me, and does great with low gain sounds as well as higher gain, it just doesn't go very high gain. The YouTube videos on this pedal are all terrible, by the way... do not judge it based on them.

The VT-Bass is very very versatile. It covers a very wide range of types of overdrive as well as low to high gain... if you don't have much experience on overdrives I'd probably suggest this one first. It's easy to find used, and if you hate it you'll sell it fast too. Regardless, it would probably allowe you ot experiment with different sounds and figure out what kind of overdriven bass you like best. From there, if you feel the VT-Bass is not exactly it, you can get much more focused suggestions later on if you tell us what you liked...

The DarkGlass Microtubes Vintage is also nice, but I found it a bit too dark and I sold mine quickly, we didn't get along.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1458735971' post='3010286']
The DarkGlass Microtubes Vintage is also nice, but I found it a bit too dark and I sold mine quickly, we didn't get along.
[/quote]

If you want a brighter VMT, check out the Vulcan!

I can recommend theese three effects
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/bass-effects-pedal
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Electro-Harmonix-Bass-Soul-Food-Transparent-Overdrive/15ZS
https://gb.muzyczny.pl/148530_Pigtronix-Bass-Fat-Drive-pedal.html
I would choose soul food or pigtronix

• 2 weeks later...