Why become a member? ×

status pickup - third wire

steve-bbb

i have an energy bolt on neck twin J pups - serial number 844 - the pups are passive with with two wires from each black/white iirc

i recently picked up a spare pair of status J pups from the basschat sale forum - these have a third red wire - believe these were the 'hyperactive' version of the same pup hopefully someone will correct me soon :)

[b]question- is there any functional/tonal difference between the two different pups?[/b]

[b]if so how would the third red wire connect up to an onboard eq ? does it go direct to the plus volts? [/b](have installed the new East-uk 3 knob uni pre circuit [url="http://www.east-uk.com/index.php/all-products/uni-pre-3k.html"]http://www.east-uk.c...uni-pre-3k.html[/url] )

ta muchly in advance

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1458893734' post='3011842']
Have you tried dropping Status an email? They really ought to be able to info you up!
[/quote]

not yet ive contacted them before re this bass they are extremley helpful but i am aware they are also very busy so i thought id throw it up on here and statii forum to see if any statophiles might know the answer :)

if there is a tonal difference themn i will be tempted to swap them otherwise will leave as is - just wanted to research rather than fiddling and swapping about and experimenting - i have the east uni-pre circuit set up quite nicely in the cavity and want to disturb it as little as possible (pics to follow later when ive finished attacking my fav blue squier with a chisel)

• 2 months later...

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1458893734' post='3011842']
Have you tried dropping Status an email? They really ought to be able to info you up!
[/quote]

i did phpne them recently and spoke to Dawn she was very helpful as always - i decided the only way to tell for sure was to throw them in - called up John as East-UK just to check that hooking the third active wire up to the battery would/should not cause any problems John also very helpful as always

So ...... waited until one of my days off work so as not to rush.... and then couldnt find where i had tidied the spare set away - so having spent about three weeks hunting for them i finally found them today and dropped them in

couple of hours later and the difference in tone is MASSIVE

very pleased now finally got this old dog of a status sounding half reasonable at last :D