Why become a member? ×

Economy Wireless Mics

Chienmortbb

I need to buy a cheap Radio Mic for Poole Town Football Club for the stadium PA.

I need a mic that is sub £100. Channel 38 is out as the original cost plus yearly licence fee are too high for a part time club. The club play at the 7th Step of the Football Pyramid, three leagues below the football league.

Other options are to add the Alesis mic link to an existing dynamic mic. That runs on 2.4Ghz but range is limited to 60ft, about 18 metres.

So it looks like one of the mics that operate on FM in the 863-865MHz licence free band. I have been pushed in the direction of the AKG WMS40. That looks great but our old mic in that band was picking up adjacent channel 4G phone interference as some mobile networks use the band just below 863MHz.

So the new kid on the block is the Numark WS100. It uses digital coding in ge 863-865 MHzbNd but should be immune from adjacent channel interference. It also has a free air range in excess of 60 metres compared to the AKG spec of 50 metres.

Finally it is a true diversity system for £60. Sounds too good to be true and although it is due in a few days, retailers push me toward the AKG.

Now I gave nothing against AKG in fact I. Have 4 pairs of AKG headphones.

So am I being pushed to buy current stock, should I be wary of Numark's entry to the market or is there a better sub £100 handheld system out there?

All opinions welcome.

Edited by Chienmortbb

I wouldn't recommend cheap wireless mics as my experience with them is not good. Many are plagued with rogue AF artefacts/noise and RF performance problems (e.g. drop outs). The low-cost DJ wireless mics are generally for guys that are standing a few metres away from their equipment at most - but I haven't got any real world experience of the Numark setup so it could be that knight in shining armour that you are looking for.

I'd want to test out that Numark mic before making any commitment to it - and also be wary of any product that you buy in fixed frequencies... worst case is if the channel you have bought is prone to interference at the venue, you are stuffed. As for recommendations, I would also check out the Alto offering (Radius 100) and also the Line6 XD-V35 if you can find one closer to your budget.

What I would really recommend though, is a used Sennheiser EW100/EW300 setup through eBay, probably a G1 for your budget (this is the proper stuff for the pro/sumer market) - but even then you are going to be lucky to get it anywhere near your budget... but you never know, I have witnessed some radio mic bargains go through eBay. Remember, you could buy a plug in transmitter for your existing mic and a receiver, or a mic and a receiver.

EDIT: this just went on eBay - [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sennheiser-Radio-Mic-/141929523981"]http://www.ebay.co.u...c-/141929523981[/url]

Good luck!

Edited by EBS_freak

OK Have checked things out and I like the LD Systems and the Alto (same group as Numark BTW). The Alto quotes range as 100M and that is very good but seems to need to be ordered everywhere and seems out of stock. I have to admit if I were buying I would probably go for the Alto. The Sennheisers now on eBay are really overpriced (for us anyway).

We have decided to wait until the end of the season (end April) and get some new ones in, and do some testing on a sale or return basis. I will report back then.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1458865044' post='3011766']
AKG wireless mics. I have a twin pair which share a receiver. Channel 70 mics, rock solid signal and no interference.
[/quote]I looked at the WSM 40s and was told they were the way to go by one dealer but the quoted range is 50 metres and I need something over 60.