Why become a member? ×

Right angled midi patch cable

steviedee

I might be getting this wrong but I thought I saw cables that you could turn the connector and then fasten in position, so you could get the angle your require. Most right angled midi cables appear to have the connector at the wrong angle for me.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1458732749' post='3010237']
Do you need it to rotate after it has been made up? And what angle do you need the cable to exit - sideways or up/down?
[/quote]

Sideways and I don't need it to rotate afterwards, just all of the off the shelf cables appear to be up/down. In hindsight rotating is not important!

Edited by steviedee

I have a couple of right angled plugs but they are all made so that the cable exits either top or bottom which is generally the most useful as normally a sideways exit would obscure other sockets. However I do have some really old DIN plugs that I got from the army surplus that might allow sideways exit, but I'll have go and check...

Get one of these.

Take off the boot and the cable clamp, you won't need them.

Drill a hole in the side of the plug where you need the cable to exit.

Pass your cable through the hole and solder the cable to the pins as appropriate. You may want to put some heat shrink around the exiting cable to give it a bit of extra strength.

Drop some hot glue over the terminals and to seal the edges of the internal assembly.

Fill the rest with epoxy for the a pro finish. (The glue in the previous step prevents the epoxy from running down the edges from inside the assembly to where the pins are)

If you've done it right, it'll look a bit like this.