Why become a member? ×

Best Fretless 5

pmjos

Alan, the sole luthier at ACG would by his own admission only make fretless basses if it were possible. He loves fretless bass music. If that doesn't tell you something about his fretless basses then I'm not sure what does. I bought his old fretless test bed bass from him.

Eude's bass will be a bit special I'm sure.

Lots of good suggestions here, but as always there really is no "best" because we all have different tastes, needs and budgets.

I play fretless around 95% of the time, and I have owned a lot of very nice examples over the years such as a factory fretless 71P, Veillette Archtop, Status S2, Wal, Ken Smith and an ACG. But, the one that speaks to me the most is without doubt the one I own now - the Franz Sirius. Not cheap mind :blink:

• Like 1

If you want mwah you may have to pay attention to the pickup position (closer to the bridge) and the electronics - especially the mids eq. But each player has also a preference for ergonomics, neck profile, etc. I had a Zon that was very nice, however had also a Mayones that (unexpectedly) had more mwah. It was heavy though. I developed over time a dislike for graphite 'touch' on the neck. Pedullas tend to have wide fingerboards too, which I find daunting on fretless. I also had a remington steele and the ergonomics were awfui for me. One thing I've learned is that what works for me in fretted doesn't necessarily apply to fretless - I have to approach those as a completely different instrument.

[quote name='SpcMnk' timestamp='1481583932' post='3193549']
I've owned a Buzz for a while and they are truley amazing! However, sold it and now am very, very happy with a La Fey Pangton. It does that JB thing but also a deep dark tone, and a very Chrystal clear sounds as well. Even unplugged it growls. :D

Yeah, the other two..
[/quote]

Pedulla Buzz basses do look cool but every time I see one I just think, "Blimey, move a bit too sharply and that upper horn would snap right off!!!"

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1481891158' post='3195983']
Pedulla Buzz basses do look cool but every time I see one I just think, "Blimey, move a bit too sharply and that upper horn would snap right off!!!"
[/quote]

You know, not every bass needs to be as chunkilly built as a Fender. Wood is incredibly strong stuff -they even make buildings out of it!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1481908141' post='3196232']

You know, not every bass needs to be as chunkilly built as a Fender. Wood is incredibly strong stuff -they even make buildings out of it!
[/quote]

I know, I know, it's just every time I look at one the same thought bubbles up from the subconscious. Which, I'm sure of course, will have been a good part of the thinking when they first designed the thin neck of the upper horn.

And for all that appreciation of tensile strength and shear forces... it still looks like it'll break right off!

• 2 months later...

[quote name='frankzelf' timestamp='1459086810' post='3013412']
[url="http://s918.photobucket.com/user/frankzelf/media/IMG_20140713_014738_zpsx4ynqcxc.jpg.html"][/url]
This. Wal mkII walnut facings with an ebony fretboard
[/quote]

B@@@@y h@@l almost fainted :gas: