Why become a member? ×

New Marcus Miller album 'Free' - it's very good!

urb

Hey - sorry if there's another thread about this somewhere but I just got a review copy of the new Miller album 'Free' and it's pretty darn funky. Bit more in the funk vein than most of his more recent jazzy albums and in places it gets a little too R&B for me but his playing is sounding amazing - and the killer cover this time around is his version of Tower Of Power's 'What Is Hip' which instead of finger picking he slaps like a mutha - 16th note slap all the way, with a pocket so tight it hurts.

Corrin Bailey Rae crops up on one tune and she sounds good, and there's an interesting version of 'When I Fall In Love' which he does as a funky fretless thing - it works well. Elsewhere it's lots of very tight, precise slap that really shows off his amazing phrasing - very cleanly exectuted lines - with a few eastern and asian flavours creeping in to the mix - overall it's very good but a little different from what he's done before - if you are a fan you won't be dissapointed.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Free-Marcus-Miller/dp/B000QXD3CS"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Free-Marcus-Miller/dp/B000QXD3CS[/url]

Hope that's of some interest to any of you slappers out there!

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='ped' post='30650' date='Jul 12 2007, 11:55 AM']Wish he did What Is Hip fingerstyle though! Would have sounded much better in my opinion! Does he HAVE to slap everything?![/quote]

I agree the slap-everything with Miller is a little much - but wait till you hear this - it's f-ing awesome and sooooooo funky - I'm listening to it now very loud and it's rocking - he grooves so hard on the TOP tune and the slap is so in the pocket and grooving it's pure Marcus magic - honestly, it's utterly wicked...and his tone is just, damn fine!

Ouch.

Mike

[quote name='ped' post='30650' date='Jul 12 2007, 11:55 AM']Wish he did What Is Hip fingerstyle though! Would have sounded much better in my opinion! Does he HAVE to slap everything?![/quote]

He can play incredible finger style as we all know but I think he's got to the stage where it is HIS signature sound. It's almost like saying "did Jaco always have to play fretless?"- not exactly like it, but almost.
(Just sticking up for my man) :)