Why become a member? ×

Will the Bass Soul Food do a 'No One Knows' tone?

1976fenderhead

Looking for a not too expensive overdrive pedal (£60 range) that will do that kind of tone, which I understand is from a cranked Ampeg.

Can the Bass Soul Food be aggressive enough for this tone? On some videos I watched it seems like it doesn't go very far in terms of gain...

What about the Crayon? Seems more aggressive... Any other suggestion?

It's hard for any pedal to match that tone, but I actually got pretty close with a Zoom Multi FX set up with a BB Preamp boosting into the Ampeg sim. Sounded mushy and unusable with fingers but worked well with a pick!

A used VT Bass is a good option for around £80.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1458978812' post='3012507']
It's hard for any pedal to match that tone, but I actually got pretty close with a Zoom Multi FX set up with a BB Preamp boosting into the Ampeg sim. Sounded mushy and unusable with fingers but worked well with a pick!

A used VT Bass is a good option for around £80.
[/quote]

+1 VT Bass should get you close.

I never really liked the VT Bass, used to have one. Don't like that I always feel it adds unwanted compression killing my attack (have never read others complaining about it but I could definitely hear it), and also not a fan of the Character x Drive interaction, makes it hard for me to get a Tone I'll like and settle on. I actually prefer the BDDI but there's too much colouring going on in there for what I want now...

I checked out some BB videos days ago and it did sound close...

Just had a look at the TC Electronic Mojomojo, seems like it might work as well and it's dirt cheap, hmm...

Edited by 1976fenderhead

That compression is even more so on the Zoom Ampeg model, hence it only sounding passable when using a pick! The DI version of the VT has a clean blend which would give you some punch back, but then you're talking more £.

It's a tricky tone to emulate with pedals, I've not tried them but perhaps the Line6 POD stuff might get reasonably close for not much £?

I used to do this using my Line6 X3,
I can't remember the settings but being able to run two signal paths through it meant I could have a clean, punchy bass, and a massively overdriven, crunchy tone together.
You can run both tones through different preamps, eqs, amp and speaker sims to get the sound as crisp or muddy as you want.
I used to love doing it because the bass sounded huge :)

Thanks, I had the Agro before, fewer bass distortions ruined more lows in my tone than the Agro. Barely usable with those sparse EQ options it has.
EBS might work I guess, maybe also that valve one they have...? But for something that expensive, I'm holding on for the GK Plex in a couple of months :)

Edited by 1976fenderhead

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1459672545' post='3018452']
I'll be the lone voice here and say that the Bass Soul Food should get you that sort of drive without a problem.
Not the exact tone but close enough for rock and roll, and if you listen to the original it's not got masses of drive anyway.
[/quote]

I'd have to agree actually. I don't really think the bass on the recording is actually all that heavily overdriven and, depending on how you set the tone and blend controls on the Soul Food, there's actually a bit more juice available from this pedal than I think its often given credit for.

• 7 months later...

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1458919498' post='3012133']
Looking for a not too expensive overdrive pedal (£60 range) that will do that kind of tone, which I understand is from a cranked Ampeg.

Can the Bass Soul Food be aggressive enough for this tone? On some videos I watched it seems like it doesn't go very far in terms of gain...

What about the Crayon? Seems more aggressive... Any other suggestion?
[/quote]
This is why I love this forum!! - this question is the exact one I've been pondering myself.
I've been looking into gettting an overdrive pedal (just for a bit of edge / crunch rather than out and out in your face fuzz / distortion), with a thought it to include No-one Knows in a set and with the online research and demos the Bass Soul Food has come out as the one I'm really interested in.
I think the VT 21 is a bit of much for what I need though, I just need to find somewhere that stocks the Soul Food so I can try it.

When pushed to overdrive the Zoom Ampeg model is very mushy - with a pick there is enough bite to push through and it actually gets very close to the record, but forget trying`to play fingerstyle - it sounds like your rig is in a swamp!

EDIT - seems I've already mentioned this above!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1479044864' post='3173482'] I have one for sale right now, I've only tested it on a loud band setting playing with fingers and in my opinion it's too mild for the tone in question. The distortion comes through much stronger with pick though so it might work, but I've only tested it that way at home. [/quote]

Oofff! So tempted, I wasn't going to get one for a little while but I'll have to look at my finances...

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1479044864' post='3173482']
I have one for sale right now, I've only tested it on a loud band setting playing with fingers and in my opinion it's too mild for the tone in question. The distortion comes through much stronger with pick though so it might work, but I've only tested it that way at home.
[/quote]
PM'd!

Never used the Soul Food, but from what I heard in the demos it sounds like it could get you there with the right amount of drive blended with the right amount of clean tone.

Speaking of blending drive and clean signal... I'll leave this here: https://youtu.be/aQDSDA929Sw

Edited by eddiehoffmann