Why become a member? ×

Born Again Wannabe - Greetings

SpondonBassed

Hello Forum,

By way of introduction here is some bumf about myself.

I am apprentice trained as an aircraft mechanic and have a varied background in aero engineering. I was an all-weather motorcyclist for 25 years. Now I enjoy my comfort. I have not been in a position to work for years as I have been a full-time, live-in carer for my elderly Mum. She is now in residential care and I am looking to occupy my time gainfully by learning the bass like I should have in my twenties.

Where bass is concerned, I am interested in ALL of it... just feed it to me in small chunks please. Being an amateur I am hoping to jam locally whenever possible. See my screen name for my location. I'm not really interested in the "Always Connected" movement. Still very much an analogue man, this is my only concession to social networking on t'net.

I miss my apprentice years before I had to choose between the band and my employer.

What I've read so far about this forum and its Ts & Cs looks very good and I hope to get to know many of you over time. [s]I'll work on a signature file and profile photo soon, I promise.[/s]

As promised, signature file below.

Cheers
John

Edited by SpondonBassed

Thanks Baldwinbass.

I've been thinking about what to say regarding the music I play. Keeping in mind that there is perhaps a difference in what I like to play and what I [i]should [/i]be playing...

I play along to about 40 songs such is my repertoire at this time. I feel comfortable that I know 30 of them to a standard where I am unlikely to lose my place. They come from my "formative years" - some sixties lots of seventies and some eighties stuff. The only reason being that they are familiar to me in a way that recent "hits" aren't. If any of you want the play list that I practice with I will be happy to oblige.

I am in my second half century of life at 53. From the short time that I've been here I know that I am in good company and that I am not the only "mature student".

When I read it is usually tab with reference to traditional score for finer detail but I limp along due to failing sight. I can not sight read and play simultaneously. This is likely to get worse. That said, I am a believer in "getting my ear in". Developing my hearing is reason enough for wanting to play ensemble. At all times however, I want to have fun with the music and that only happens in groups. If I ever make money from playing it will be a miracle but that's not why I do it.

It is becoming clearer every day that I can't really move forward until I get to jam with others. Play-alongs have done their job in getting me going but if I don't find some playmates soon my enthusiasm might wilt away to nothing. I'd especially like to jam regularly with a local percussionist to remind myself what it is to be part of the rhythm section again. I'm not quite confident about playing Open Mic nights at Derby's Horse and Groom but I am aiming in that direction.

Anyone in the village or within spitting distance of Spondon is welcome to get in touch. We could maybe have a jam and a laff. I recently became a "Born Again" Pedestrian so I am handicapped regarding transport but my kit is relatively portable. I can host up to a point but I have not got the space to set up even a modest drum kit so standing room only...

'Nuff blather for the now. Have a Happy Easter ye all.
John

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1459068922' post='3013203']
I've been thinking about what to say regarding the music I play. Keeping in mind that there is perhaps a difference in what I like to play and what I [i]should [/i]be playing...
[/quote]

What you like to play IS what you [i]should [/i]be playing. :)

Thanks for that discreet.

In reference to your comments elsewhere, those are some good pointers ta. I realise that I might be mistaken to think that I would find playmates here but I'll take that bet. There are many fine multi-instrumentalists who play bass and may be resident here...

Hope you didn't overdo the Easter eggs
Cheers
John