Why become a member? ×

Trace Valve Heads - Guidance Required

Deedee

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1459775638' post='3019448']
i may be wrong but dont the Hexavalve's only run at 4 or 2 ohms? If thats right you wont be able to use your 8 ohm cab without destroying the amp :(
[/quote]

Yep, this is correct, mine runs at either 2/4 ohm.

If I remember rightly my Old Quatra Valve was 4/8 ohm. As were the Twin Valves.

Always hated the GP pre amp... and the cabs, tbh.. I guess I was never a fan enough and was so glad when SWR raised the bar by some margin, IMO.

But it is also true, IMO, that TE shook every body up in the 80's and the Twin valve was a good effort even with the GP7...
I sold it for SWR-which I still have ampwise-but no longer use.

Vaguely regret sellling the twinV or look back quite fondly on it, at least.

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1459775638' post='3019448']
i may be wrong but dont the Hexavalve's only run at 4 or 2 ohms? If thats right you wont be able to use your 8 ohm cab without destroying the amp :(
[/quote]

Is this correct? I've been advised by several people (including the chap I've bought it off) that the Hexa will run into an 8 ohm cab providing that the switch is set to 4 ohms. If it was set to 2 ohms, it would kill the head, but set to 4 ohms it would be fine.

There's an interesting thread on Talkbass which states the same I.e. as long as you're no more than 100% out (e.g. set to 4 but running into an 8 ohm cab) it will be fine.

I'm going to be switching back to a 4 ohm, one cab solution anyway, but just for my own knowledge any further opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1459843648' post='3020092']

Is this correct? I've been advised by several people (including the chap I've bought it off) that the Hexa will run into an 8 ohm cab providing that the switch is set to 4 ohms. If it was set to 2 ohms, it would kill the head, but set to 4 ohms it would be fine.

There's an interesting thread on Talkbass which states the same I.e. as long as you're no more than 100% out (e.g. set to 4 but running into an 8 ohm cab) it will be fine.

I'm going to be switching back to a 4 ohm, one cab solution anyway, but just for my own knowledge any further opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
[/quote]

I would not want to risk it, save the amp for your new cab!

[quote name='andytoad' timestamp='1459879323' post='3020561']

I would not want to risk it, save the amp for your new cab!
[/quote]

Oh no I certainly won't risk it, but I am curious.

I'll have my new 4 ohm cab Monday anyway so you may be able to hear me at rehearsal 😆

Trace Elliot issued an update to the early hexas, as they were getting a bit hot. Worth checking to see if yours is an early one, and if so, has it had mod ?
BTW Yes, valve amps require more looking after , than modern solid state amps, but the good ones, working properly , are simply magnificent to play. Congrats on getting your Hexa.

[quote name='Chimike' timestamp='1459960938' post='3021329']
Trace Elliot issued an update to the early hexas, as they were getting a bit hot. Worth checking to see if yours is an early one, and if so, has it had mod ?
BTW Yes, valve amps require more looking after , than modern solid state amps, but the good ones, working properly , are simply magnificent to play. Congrats on getting your Hexa.
[/quote]

I'm not sure what to look for with regards to a mod, but there's a great big fan that looks like a bit of an afterthought 😂

Edited by Deedee

Well, I picked up my 4 ohm BF Super 12 today and gave the Hexavalve a first switch on.
Everything works as it should and I can't wait to crank it up at next weeks' rehearsal. Even at bedroom levels it sounded great, but it's going to be scary loud!

Edited by Deedee

Well, gave the Hexavalve its first outing last night and it sounded fantastic. Now just to explain, this is my first 'all valve' amp (never even played through one before) so this was a bit of an event for me.

It really did have a lovely thick, rich sound. I can now understand what people mean about the difference (and how difficult it is to put into words). I've still got to have a proper play with the EQ to tweak it a little but suffice to say, I'm a very happy bunny 🙂

• 10 months later...

[quote name='sonnyonbass' timestamp='1487503633' post='3240213']
We need pics! :-)
[/quote]

Here's a pic but alas I've since moved this on to a fellow Basschatter.

It is a great head but when it came to packing the car up for rehearsals and gigs, I found myself opting for the SMX more and more. I've since tried numerous other amps including Class D and each time I come back to Trace solid state gear.

Oh well, at least I tried a full fat valve one!

I own a few TE amps. AH300, RAH600SMX, Hexa Valve, V-Type V4 and V-Type V8.... also Marshall 3530 (ex-No Means No), Ampeg SVT CL, Weber MyWatt 400, Hiwatt DR201 and Hiwatt DR103. So there's something to compare.
I only use the Ampeg SVT810, so differences are purely due to the amps themselves.

To be honest, nothing beats the TE V-Type amps if you ask me. Others might think different, but hey... everyone is different.

The V4 is 220W and is by far the best sounding amp. The V8 sounds detailed but fat, monstrous and loud. Very loud. Sometimes too loud. Most of the time, I switch to half power (200W instead of 400W).
My advise: if you can find one, buy the V-Type. The significance of details vanishes when you flip the switch.
Second choice : Quatra or Hexa (Twin Valve might be a bit under powered). Best of both worlds, solid state pre-amp and tube power section.
My last choice : Ampeg SVT CL.

My V8 FB page : https://www.facebook.com/Trace-Elliot-V-Type-V8-1615664865344974/

Edited by robertbass

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1460913502' post='3029754']
Well, gave the Hexavalve its first outing last night and it sounded fantastic. Now just to explain, this is my first 'all valve' amp (never even played through one before) so this was a bit of an event for me.

It really did have a lovely thick, rich sound. I can now understand what people mean about the difference (and how difficult it is to put into words). I've still got to have a proper play with the EQ to tweak it a little but suffice to say, I'm a very happy bunny
[/quote]
Nice. I have one too now but have yet to try it out...!

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1487771409' post='3242655']

The very one! I take it you're still not on the same continent as each other?
[/quote]
That would be correct...goodness knows how I'm going to get it over here unless as hand luggage during my next UK visit. I'm very keen to hear how it compares to my old V8 and Boogie Bass 400+