Why become a member? ×

Beginners Corner

Ashweb

I am a very new bass player (started just before Christmas last year (2015)) and as such have been practising hard to get to a decent standard of playing. To this end I recently made a video on my phone of myself playing along to 'Pretty Vacant' by The Sex Pistols (yes, I am that old) as an aid to A: see myself as I actually play and not how I think I play and B: hopefully get some constructive criticism from the good folks here on BC - and put a smile on a few faces - you'll see why...

The video can be viewed here: [url="https://youtu.be/3vK2REebJBs"]https://youtu.be/3vK2REebJBs[/url]

Due to being recorded on just my phone, I found using headphones best to hear everything; also there seems to be an issue watching this link on some mobile devices - not sure why - some odd You tube thing.

All constructive criticism greatly appreciated; be gentle with me... :P From my own review I realise that I need to lose at least 5Kg and this play through goes horribly wrong at the end. I may need to spend a bit more time with the metronome...

[quote name='Ashweb' timestamp='1459030538' post='3013084']...
All constructive criticism greatly appreciated; be gentle with me...
[/quote]

Good evening, AW...

No reason to be gentle; that's played pretty darned well for a fully-paid up 3-months-in beginner. I'm not a bass teacher, still less of an expert on much (actually, I'm a drummer..! :blush: ), so I can't judge things like 'stance' or details of fingering. What I will say is that, firstly, it takes [s]balls[/s] courage to post videos like that, so kudos for that, and, secondly, it does,indeed, go slightly 'off' at certain moments, but the key part is how you recognise that, then manage to get back on track without any great kerfuffle (technical term...). I see that, right from the outset, you realise you're a bit out, but you shrug it off and continue to the end. That is an important, and, for some folks, seemingly impossible, thing to do, and I congratulate you for it. Before being able to correct any mistakes, one must be aware of them, and you show your ability in that aspect very well.
Playing along to favourite songs is great, and should be encouraged; I think I would also look into playing along to isolated drum tracks, either as a metronome substitute, or from songs, but only the drum part. For modern rock music, that's really where it locks together. I'm not saying that the rest of the song isn't important, of course, but for training purposes, it's a good idea to work without the 'distraction' of the singer, the excitement, the whole shebang; just getting the essentials down. Patience, too, is an all-too-rare virtue; you've been playing for only a few weeks, so take it steady, go easy but solidly without burning through the stages; you'll get to wherever you want to go so much the faster for going slowly.
Obviously, a 'live', one-on-one bass teacher is best, but there are several web courses that are rather highly thought of, and 'Skype' lessons could be an option, too.
Yes, there was a smile on my face watching through that; not from mockery, but from simple pleasure. Hard to believe, but we all (yes, all of us...) started, one day, and couldn't do better than that. You're doing fine; keep on keeping on (but slowly...).
Well done, lad.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1459033622' post='3013102']
Good evening, AW...

No reason to be gentle; that's played pretty darned well for a fully-paid up 3-months-in beginner. I'm not a bass teacher, still less of an expert on much (actually, I'm a drummer..! :blush: ), so I can't judge things like 'stance' or details of fingering. What I will say is that, firstly, it takes [s]balls[/s] courage to post videos like that, so kudos for that, and, secondly, it does,indeed, go slightly 'off' at certain moments, but the key part is how you recognise that, then manage to get back on track without any great kerfuffle (technical term...). I see that, right from the outset, you realise you're a bit out, but you shrug it off and continue to the end. That is an important, and, for some folks, seemingly impossible, thing to do, and I congratulate you for it. Before being able to correct any mistakes, one must be aware of them, and you show your ability in that aspect very well.
Playing along to favourite songs is great, and should be encouraged; I think I would also look into playing along to isolated drum tracks, either as a metronome substitute, or from songs, but only the drum part. For modern rock music, that's really where it locks together. I'm not saying that the rest of the song isn't important, of course, but for training purposes, it's a good idea to work without the 'distraction' of the singer, the excitement, the whole shebang; just getting the essentials down. Patience, too, is an all-too-rare virtue; you've been playing for only a few weeks, so take it steady, go easy but solidly without burning through the stages; you'll get to wherever you want to go so much the faster for going slowly.
Obviously, a 'live', one-on-one bass teacher is best, but there are several web courses that are rather highly thought of, and 'Skype' lessons could be an option, too.
Yes, there was a smile on my face watching through that; not from mockery, but from simple pleasure. Hard to believe, but we all (yes, all of us...) started, one day, and couldn't do better than that. You're doing fine; keep on keeping on (but slowly...).
Well done, lad.
[/quote]

+1 To the above - thought your physical technique in keeping your wrists reasonably straight (no awkward bends in them to reduce the blood flow to the tendons) was very good.

The other good thing was that you were having [b]fun[/b] playing and learning. Sometimes it's all too easy getting hung up and frustrated with this bass playing malarkey and wanting to be "great" yesterday - enjoy the journey.... :)

Got to echo all of what Dad3353 said, top effort for three months in. The fact that you kept with the track despite losing your way a couple of times is great.

Plenty of resources available now - Scott's Bass Lessons get a lot of love around these parts. I really liked Ed Friedland's Complete Bass book - I used it to polish up and go back over basics, but I'd imagine it would be pretty good for you at your stage.

Most of all, you're enjoying it, so that's the first battle won! Keep up the good work (oh, and spend more time on the bass than you do on Basschat - something many of us are guilty of) :o

Final thing, take the s out of youtube https to get the video, not the link on your post.

Thanks for the comments and encouragement guys - especially Dad3353 - you're a legend being so generous to take the time to post such an in-depth reply. Louis, I have had to work hard (and still trying to get there) with hand position / technique - I seem to have 'lazy thumbs'; my right thumb can lay flat against the bass which I have to watch and my left thumb tends to slide down the neck given half a chance which results in unwanted bum notes and fret buzz. All comments very much appreciated.

I'll check out the on line help sites you mentioned and scan Amazon for Ed Friedland's book (I already have a copy of Bass Guitar for Dummies which is useful if a bit technical in places). I have enrolled on some 1-2-1 bass lessons which is helping enormously but getting another point of view / perspective can sometimes help a subject 'click'; Sian (my teacher) has infinite patience with me but there's only so many ways one person can describe a subject before resorting to the percussive spatula method from 'Run Fat Boy Run' so other reference material will be useful.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Guest bassman7755

Since I encouraged you to post here, I guess I should add my 10c worth ... general technique looking pretty decent, timing wanders a bit but you do stick at it and correct yourself. As Dad mentioned you probably also need to do something that focuses on accuracy - a simpler song and/or some exercises vs metronome or drum track.

Overall your well on the way given the relatively short time you've been playing. I wouldn't over think things or get too analytical and critical with yourself at this relatively early stage - just clock in more fingerboard hours and take stock again in a couple of months.

My best advice for any beginner would be to study with a good teacher. It doesn't have to be too regularly but a lesson here and there and really taking on what a teacher has to tell you will go a LONG way.

My second piece of advice for any beginner is SCALES. Learn and practise - daily - every major and minor scale at least. There's an abundance of scalar exercises and what not. When learning these scales, stick to one finger per fret and when practising them, stick on a metronome. Start somewhere you're comfortable with then push it until you're no longer comfortable. Write down the tempo that it started to get uncomfortable. In a week, that uncomfortable tempo should be more comfortable. I'm not going to lie, this is boring as sh*t but if you want to get comfortable on your instrument, learn what every fret is, learn all the noises you might ever wanna make on your instrument and where to find them fast, this is a good method. Not to mention building coordination between your left and right hands, speed, dexterity, becoming comfortable with a one finger per fret technique - it's everything.

And after that, I think I should go and do an hour of scales.

Good man! That you don't take yourself too seriously is a great quality to have. I could do with a bit of that myself sometimes.

Keep it up - you're doing what I should have done in my twenties but waited 'till now to do. My eyesight, hearing and dexterity have all taken a hit with age... I'll stop now before I depress myself and everyone else.

Might be good to see how you are going on from time to time.
Thanks for starting this thread.
John

• 2 weeks later...

I'm even more of a beginner on bass than you are, but I'm fairly experienced in other areas. A big lesson I learnt from my singing teacher was to throw wrong notes away - they're in the past. It's very easy to stop, linger, dwell.... and then you've lost it :) This has provied to be a useful lesson when I moved on to playing other instrument sin recent years and I now regularly play in concerts.

The ability to be in the right place is in fact more improtant most of the time than playing the right note: the wrong note at the right time is usually less obvious than the right note at the wrong time....

Thanks again for all the advice; it's nice to know I'm not too far off the map :D

Starting to practice scales a bit more especially as the theory part of my lessons is moving more into modes (some good threads on here about that too). Also using a metronome to practice the 'chug' and increase my accuracy. Found a song that is more of a 'chug' thinking it was good practice - thought even better when I looked at some tabs / sheet music which showed 70BPM for the pace (not my recollection of that particular song I must admit) then listened to it on iTunes and it is much faster on the bass line (the drum is 70BPM). Trouble is I'm now determined to get it right as it's a challenge so look out for the next video link whenever that may be of a hopefully improved Pretty Vacant followed by an ambitious 'She Sells Sanctuary' by The Cult. If I can nail that puppy, it should make most others a lot easier.

On the 'scales' front, I'd recommend saying out loud the name of the note as it's being played. Singing it to pitch is even better. This, especially at first, has the double benefit of slowing down the whole process, so one is not 'belting through' just a mechanical exercise, and also engages the brain more, obliging one to really think about what's going on. Playing scales is not (or should not be...) about speed, but more about assimilating the notes and their interrelations. The speed comes (slowly...) of its own accord, but is not the objective. There are other exercises for that (for what little it's worth as an objective in and of itself, in my view...).

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Ashweb' timestamp='1459030538' post='3013084']
I am a very new bass player [/quote]

In that case, forget about modes for now. Concentrate on chord tones instead. Plenty of time to delve into modes when you have the ground work done. :)

[quote name='Ashweb' timestamp='1460201588' post='3023509']
the theory part of my lessons is moving more into modes
[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I really enjoyed watching that! Thanks. Great to see you enjoying yourself. After all, it's meant to be fun isn't it? She Sells Sanctuary was one of the first bass lines I learned many many years ago. In fact knowing that and Rain got me a slot in my first band.

You should be stoked with your progress....keep at it!

Thanks for all the comments. Much appreciated.

Is it time for an update video? Hmmm....

She Sells Sanctuary is still a bit of a work in progress ATM, mainly due to it being so bloody fast - but I'm getting there and enjoying the challenge....

Been trying to work on RH technique to improve string muting as resonance was really distracting; trouble is by concentrating on this, a few bad habits crept back in on LH so playing this last week has been the Rocky Horror show. My bass teacher says this kind of plateau is common when learning and once I crack it, the LH will come back and then you make a stride forward. Let's hope so, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Update video time....

Last video was posted after 3 months in, so here's me playing the same song last week at 6 months in as a baseline to show any progress...

https://youtu.be/6FK96E0UKkc

Again, best listened to with headphones due to being recorded using the mic on my laptop. Admittedly, this play through isn't as exuberant as the first but it was 11pm and I was trying to not upset my neighbours. Still enjoying it though and having an absolute ball; I did promise a play through of She Sells Sanctuary in previous posts - let's just say this is still a work in progress but getting there; also my bass instructor has challenged me to learn Uprising by Muse as an exercise to improve L/H & R/H technique as well as stamina. I had a go late last week and although it seems quite a simple bass line (octaves, how easy is that? :unsure: ) I'll be pleased to do 1 minute as a starter, my wrist was killing me very early on so how the hell anyone can do a full 5 minute play through of this is a mystery at the moment; but as I always tell my bass instructor I enjoy a challenge so watch this space...

BTW, anyone else who wants to post their Beginners Corner video is welcome to do so on this thread - I've had nothing but constructive comments so don't feel as if you won't get taken seriously. Let's get better together...

[quote name='nigec' timestamp='1467643176' post='3085078']
Like what somebody has already said, your way better than Sid :)

[/quote]

Thanks Nigec - I guess Sid did set the bar quite low though! :) ; I saw an interview on line recently with the other members of SP and apparently when Sid was on stage 'playing' there was someone else behind a curtain doing the real bass line. Very sad story really.

[quote name='nigec' timestamp='1467643176' post='3085078']
...I'm having a ball with Boris the Spider..
[/quote]

So you gonna post a vid on here of you playing Boris the Spider? That's part of the reason this thread was started so us newbies could get some constructive comments and advice from the more experienced members. Go on - you know you want to really....

He never stood a chance really..
It was so chaotic it didn't really matter, I never saw them live, I was 14 at the time. :)

I'm building my own bass and it has issues. I have a high fret so its action is mentally high to clear it..
Once its sorted I'll demo something, right now its horrible to play :/

• 4 months later...