Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR300 weight?

Guest MoJo

I love my Yamaha BB414, but as I get older, it's 9lbs+ mass gets tiring on longer (2 1/2 hours or longer) gigs. I know that Bass Collection SB's are legendary for being lightweight,, but I'm quite taken by the new Ibanez SR300E, recently lauched at NAMM. It has the same three band EQ as the older model, but now has different pickups with coil-taps and a three way 'powertap' switch.
My question is, does anyone own an SR300 that could give me an accurate weight and an idea of how it balances?
Thank you

I thought the same thing about the new SR300Es, they look like great value.

I've got one of the old ones, but I've not got any way I've giving you an accurate weight, I'm afraid. With regards to the weight distribution, it doesn't seem to have any balance preference to be honest. It certainly doesn't have any neck dive, but with the way I have my strap setup, mine pretty much stays in the position I want it.

Hope that helps. With all that said, mind, the SR300 is what I've played for 90% of the time I've played bass.

I have a few Ibanez SR basses. Even the mahogany bodied versions are so thin front to back that they are very lightweight. The cheaper models in the SR range are even lighter in my experience. To be blunt if an SR is too heavy for you it's time to consider packing in or going Kala uke bass ☺

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1459078377' post='3013313']
I have a few Ibanez SR basses. Even the mahogany bodied versions are so thin front to back that they are very lightweight. The cheaper models in the SR range are even lighter in my experience. To be blunt if an SR is too heavy for you it's time to consider packing in or going Kala uke bass ☺
[/quote]

I'm not quite ready for a Uke Bass yet :lol:

[quote name='probablypike' timestamp='1459080099' post='3013335']
I remember the first time I tried a p-bass and couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about with it being "so heavy", after being too used to my Ibanez.

Kala Ubass...for when you can't carry a full scale?
[/quote]

P-basses can vary so much. I had a MIM Precision which was very light and quite neck heavy

Mojo, I had an Ibby SR300 a while back, sold it on because it had the style sweeper e.q. which never worked for me, but it balanced perfectly, and weighed little more than the strap it was hung on, it was stupidly light. However, in comparison to the Yamaha ( I still have and use the BB I got from you, though I put some light weight tuners on it, that made it balance and significantly reduced the neck weight ) it felt a bit cheap and somewhat flimsy, although nothing actually broke it just felt a bit fragile to me.

I have an SR 600 and this tips the scales at an extremely light 3.4kg (7.49 lbs), so I'd guess that the SR300 will be close to this.

My SR600 has been my main bass since I bought it in 2010 and I'm amazed that Ibanez don't mention the weight of their basses on their website. The SR basses weigh less than most and for many players (including me) - this is an important consideration/selling point.

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1459157682' post='3013843']
Mojo, I had an Ibby SR300 a while back, sold it on because it had the style sweeper e.q. which never worked for me, but it balanced perfectly, and weighed little more than the strap it was hung on, it was stupidly light. However, in comparison to the Yamaha ( I still have and use the BB I got from you, though I put some light weight tuners on it, that made it balance and significantly reduced the neck weight ) it felt a bit cheap and somewhat flimsy, although nothing actually broke it just felt a bit fragile to me.
[/quote]

The BB414's are well constructed. Maybe I need to be looking at a higher spec SR

I had one of the 90s MIJ SR800 basses. Around 7.5lbs and a *very* thin neck, beautifully made. However, they have a different sound which sadly wasn't to my liking. As you are coming from a Yamaha BB414 I think this is something to be aware of - try before you buy!

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1459172333' post='3014059']
I had one of the 90s MIJ SR800 basses. Around 7.5lbs and a *very* thin neck, beautifully made. However, they have a different sound which sadly wasn't to my liking. As you are coming from a Yamaha BB414 I think this is something to be aware of - try before you buy!
[/quote]

This is something that had crossed my mind. I had a Peavey Zephyr C4 before the BB414. It was a great bass but didn't sit with the band the way the 414 does

[quote name='Lardy' timestamp='1459174799' post='3014102']
Just weighed my SR300 with baggage scales: 3.35kg (without strap). Its a 2015 model. Hope this helps.
[/quote]

Thanks

[quote name='41Hz' timestamp='1459180890' post='3014182']
What about a RBX270J

Mine is 7lb4oz and it sounds and plays great - probably the same pickups as your BB414

PS, looks like there is one on gumtree for £100
[/quote]

I'd not considered the RBX range