Why become a member? ×

Duck Dunn Isolated Tracks?

Bloc Riff Nut

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1459161081' post='3013907']
mmmm - as much as I like Duck Dunn, £974 is a lot of money! :o
[/quote]

They'd probably take £900 for it. Plus Amazon's 'look inside' feature gives you [i]You Don't Miss Your Water[/i] for free!

Good Lord! Anyone would think that £955 was a lot of money.

Oh very well then ... buy this instead: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/What-Duck-Done-Study-of-bassist-Donald-Duck-Dunn-/201550914584?hash=item2eed5ee418:m:mH75R9A8SAznefibKcPXkBA

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So, I was doing a random search of Duck the other day and this thread came up. It's right up my alley.

I'm currently working on a book on Duck, and it will include lots of transcriptions of his basslines, as well as a short biography. The book is working with a good publisher so it will be available easily very soon...once I finish it.

The isolated bass tracks aren't available anywhere. But Duck's lines aren't too terribly difficult to transcribe, either.

Either way, I'm working to remedy a situation that shouldn't have been like this for so long!

By the way, Mods, if this is against the rules for my first post to talk about my book, I apologize, and feel free to delete.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='StageAhead' timestamp='1473495688' post='3130647']
I've done two video lessons on Duck Dunn's basslines. Maybe that'll help:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlT9e6d_hHg"]She Caught The Katy (Blues Brothers)[/url]

and

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSMIg1gDjV8"](Sitting On) The Dock Of The Bay (Otis Redding)[/url]
[/quote]

I can't believe that after all these years I've only just discovered 'Dock Of The Bay'. What a lovely bass line. None of the vocalists I've performed with have wanted to sing it until last week. There are still some gems out there waiting to be discovered!

Thanks for the video lesson.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1484478713' post='3215677']
I very much doubt you can find a true isolated bassline. A lot of stuff from the 60's were recorded on 3 or 4 track tape. The bass was probably mixed together with the drums and guitars.
[/quote]Good point. Also, the tracks were mic'ed, rather than direct, and was all recorded "live," if I remember correctly. So, even if there was a bass track, there would be plenty of bleed-through with everyone else, probably resulting in just a poorly mixed version of what you already can hear.