Why become a member? ×

MS60b buzz

BassBus

I have just completed my pedal board with a Zoom MS60b. Great pedal but I hear a low level buzz as if it is being overdriven. Not going to be noticible on a loader piece but on quieter stuff I can hear it clearly and it just annoys me. When I took the pedal out of the loop there is no buzz. The only way I can find to get rid of it is to lower the volume on the bass so much it is too quiet. Do any of you who use this pedal have any clues how this might be solved?

Is there an input level control buried in the menu? I think the other Zooms have one, so try lowering it.

Also if you're using a shared non-isolated power supply, try using it with a separate supply as they are pretty noisy when sharing power.

Edited by dannybuoy

There isn't an input level control on the MS unfortunately and yes, it does sound like you are driving the input with a bit too much level maybe - but that said, it'd be good to get a recording of the buzz if you can - it's easier to diagnose that way.

I also agree with dannybuoy too but also, the distortion could also be happening if you have several effects active in a chain and their own levels are way too high, which will also cause some ugly digital distortion, not the nice analogue sort.

Might have got the wrong end of the stick here, but I believe I had the same issue, with an almost "hiss" present? Mine turned out to be the daisy chain power supply I was using - turns out it sups quite a bit of power, so I switched to one of those cheap Thomann 5 way power supplies, and problem solved.

On the other hand you may be on about something completely different!

Thanks for the replies. I doubt it is a power supply problem. It is powered by a pedal power 4x4 using a current doubler. The other power supply on the board is a pedal power 2 plus. I'll try and record the offending sound tonight.

Here's what it sounds like. You'll probably hear it best with headphones.

First is in the full board with no pedals switched on.
[url="https://soundcloud.com/bassbus/in-pedal-board"]https://soundcloud.c.../in-pedal-board[/url]

Second is bass-pedal-recorder, pedal switched off.
[url="https://soundcloud.com/bassbus/direct-from-ms60"]https://soundcloud.c...irect-from-ms60[/url]

Edited by BassBus

I know the sound you mean. I get it on my setup too which ends with an ms60b. It's not there through a real amp but noticeable through earphones and when recorded directly. I've always put it down to it being budget gear. I've got a passive p/j pickup setup soi doubt it's getting overloaded.

Have you tried with batteries just incase?

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1459540765' post='3017606']
It sounds like it's slightly overloaded. What's the bass? Does it have a particularly hot output?
[/quote]

I'd second this. I have an MS-60B too and I get a similar kind of sound if I use it with my Harley Benton active bass which has very loud MM-style humbucker active pick-ups. However, when I use it with my main bass which has a Delano Sonar active set-up (passive bass level hotness just with some EQ) then I don't notice any issue.

It does sound like an overload of some sort but it is there with passive and active basses, lad rash has agreed with that. It takes a fare whack of sound to overload it properly though. This is a back ground sound. Frankly it shouldn't matter if it is passive or active.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1459873984' post='3020487']
It does sound like an overload of some sort but it is there with passive and active basses, lad rash has agreed with that. It takes a fare whack of sound to overload it properly though. This is a back ground sound. Frankly it shouldn't matter if it is passive or active.
[/quote]

I would mention again though I can only notice it when through earphones. It's never been a problem through an amp. Even at low volumes as far I can remember.

• 1 year later...