Why become a member? ×

Flatwound strings (mini) shootout

davebass66

So let me start by saying I am a big fan of flatwound strings!....That being said I spend a lot of time (and money) trying to find the right strings (not just flatwound but thats another thread)!

What I have noticed from searching online when trying to find out about strings is that it is mostly peoples opinion on them; meaning very little to really go on. This was highlighted to me when researching DR Legends, which have some of the most ridiculously contradictory reviews from users!

Anyway, I decided to do some recording...

Now, before I get into it, I'll just say that when I had this idea I thought I had a few more sets lying around than it turned out (must have moved them on for some reason). Also, I wanted to to include TI Flats in this test but realised that at some (possibly drunk) point I cut them specifically to fit a 2/2 headstock and therefore could not string them on the test bass. (I felt it important to use the same bass for each string). I may well add to this playlist in the near future.

What that left me with is these sets:

[b]La Bella 760FS 45-105[/b] - What I call standard tension for flats, obviously stiffer than rounds but still very playable. Very balanced across the strings, these are all about the fundamental and that is what you get from each string IMO.
[b]GHS Precision Flats 55-105[/b] - These are super stiff! You really have to work to get a sound out, but it is worth it when you get there! A-G very even, the E string stands out a little to my ears. Definitely wouldn't be an easy intro into flats
[b]DR Legends 45-105[/b] - A lower tension flat, but still enough resistance to dig in, nowhere near that of the TI's. Well balanced, although the E does not quite have the same harmonic content relative to the other 3.
[b]Ernie Ball Group III flats 45-100[/b] - These are the most like roundwounds in tension IMO. Very even across the strings too. I can see why people say these are like Chromes.
[b]D'addario Chromes 50-105[/b] - These are quite a high tension string, bowed the neck noticeably when strung up. I stand by the similarity between these and EB flats! nice smooth strings, look very well made, quite bright out of the box but I get the feeling the would mellow. You need to be willing to work to get the optimum tone out of these strings
[b]La Bella 760FM 49-109[/b] - These are 1 step below the Jamerson set (full gauge is 49-69-89-109) and therefore are quite stiff. Interestingly, I don't feel like they have as much tension as you might expect, that tension is also nicely even across the strings. Very smooth and the E - even though they are well used) is not too dead compared to the others. Real nice vintage feeling string.

This is not meant to be scientifically airtight, I am well aware that the differing gauges alter the sound, there is also the fact that some strings were fresher than others (although all had at least 12 hours playing prior to the recordings). It is simply meant to help players get an idea of the, in my opinion, very varied sounding strings available.

Each string was recorded with a 1975 Rosewood board Fender P bass, through a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24DSP interface, into Logic X with no plugins or effects - Forgive the playing - was trying to get it all done in one sitting!

Each track contains the following samples:
Slap groove tone full. Slap groove tone 3/4
Motown Groove tone at 2/3
Harmonics sample tone full
Pick groove tone full. Pick groove tone at 2/3

The parts played were done so to make sure all strings were covered in each.

As I say, I'm sorry this is just a small sample, but I will add to it over time. Have a listen and let the discussion begin - I think this particular sample really shows you how different flats can be!

Dave
[url="https://soundcloud.com/dave-evans-9/sets/flatwound-strings-test"]https://soundcloud.c...nd-strings-test[/url]

Edited by davebass66

Great little shootout! Especially with them being all on the same bass!
It would interesting if you could comment on the tensions of each set, this is again effected by gauge, but would be interesting to know.
I literally just strung my '71 P with a set of D'addario Chromes tonight and am loving them! It's been a while since I've had flats fitted where I get on with the tension!

Si

Thank you for your time and effort.

My 4 basses and 3 different sets of flats all have their particular tone, tension and feel.

I tend to fit Rotosound RS77 as a middle-of-the-road example tone and tension wise. They're cheaper too.

Matching a particular bass to a particular string set makes a big difference.

Great post, thanks again.

Edited by grandad

They weren't part of the test, and I can't compare them to the others in the test, but I always found Rotosound flats to be way too high tension for me. The new Chromes I've fitted feel much nicer, I made a point of matching the tension (or as close as possible) to the tension of the roundwounds I use, very handy, knowing the overall tension of each set.

Si

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Its been a long flatwound quest for me. Im starting to think the sound im after maybe doesn’t exist![/color][/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Basically I want thumpy but with SOME sustain, not just thud. The tension needs to be reasonable (not talking TI flop but not cables either). I play with a pic 99% of the time and suffer from thumb ache on my picking hand, maybe down to technique but I don’t get it on lower tension strings. [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I also don’t like sets that have the seemingly common dead E problem. So far ive tried:-[/color][/size][/font]
[b][u][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Picato Flats[/color][/size][/font][/u][/b]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Lovely sound, just about right tension. E string problem as mentioned above[/color][/size][/font]
[b][u][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Pyramid Gold[/color][/size][/font][/u][/b]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Had everything I was looking for bar thump. Fantastic tension, good E string, great feel but just lacked that old school thump. Did I give them long enough?[/color][/size][/font]
[b][u][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Fender Flats[/color][/size][/font][/u][/b]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Lovely but slightly high tension[/color][/size][/font]
[b][u][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Status Flats[/color][/size][/font][/u][/b]
[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Times New Roman"]Thought these were THE one’s….then the E died prematurely [/font][font=Wingdings][font=Wingdings]L[/font][/font][/color][/size]
[b][u][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]La Bella FS[/color][/size][/font][/u][/b]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Stunning but too high tension[/color][/size][/font]
[b][u][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Elites[/color][/size][/font][/u][/b]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]High tension and dead E[/color][/size][/font]
[b][u][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]TI’s[/color][/size][/font][/u][/b]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Wet noodles[/color][/size][/font]
[b][u][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Sadowksy[/color][/size][/font][/u][/b]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Honky middy with not enough thump. Good tension and E tho[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I play a P bass with DiMarzio DP122 pups into a valve amp and 4x10 sealed cab. I have considered that my pups may not be ‘old school’ enough for the tone im chasing.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]The holy grail tone im after is the tone Baz Fratelli gets on The Fratellis songs Look Out Sunshine, Mistress Mabel etc on the album Here We Stand[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Next on list to try are DR’s, Optima and possibly the new Dunlops though im hearing they are very Roundwound sounding[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1459506906' post='3017183']
[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Its been a long flatwound quest for me. Im starting to think the sound im after maybe doesn’t exist![/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Basically I want thumpy but with SOME sustain, not just thud. The tension needs to be reasonable (not talking TI flop but not cables either). I play with a pic 99% of the time and suffer from thumb ache on my picking hand, maybe down to technique but I don’t get it on lower tension strings. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]I also don’t like sets that have the seemingly common dead E problem. So far ive tried:-[/color][/size][/font]

[b][u][font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Picato Flats[/color][/size][/font][/u][/b]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Lovely sound, just about right tension. E string problem as mentioned above[/color][/size][/font]

[b][u][font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Pyramid Gold[/color][/size][/font][/u][/b]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Had everything I was looking for bar thump. Fantastic tension, good E string, great feel but just lacked that old school thump. Did I give them long enough?[/color][/size][/font]

[b][u][font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Fender Flats[/color][/size][/font][/u][/b]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Lovely but slightly high tension[/color][/size][/font]

[b][u][font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Status Flats[/color][/size][/font][/u][/b]
[size=3][color=#000000][font=Times New Roman]Thought these were THE one’s….then the E died prematurely [/font][font=Wingdings]L[/font][/color][/size]

[b][u][font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]La Bella FS[/color][/size][/font][/u][/b]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Stunning but too high tension[/color][/size][/font]

[b][u][font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Elites[/color][/size][/font][/u][/b]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]High tension and dead E[/color][/size][/font]

[b][u][font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]TI’s[/color][/size][/font][/u][/b]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Wet noodles[/color][/size][/font]

[b][u][font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Sadowksy[/color][/size][/font][/u][/b]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Honky middy with not enough thump. Good tension and E tho[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]I play a P bass with DiMarzio DP122 pups into a valve amp and 4x10 sealed cab. I have considered that my pups may not be ‘old school’ enough for the tone im chasing.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]The holy grail tone im after is the tone Baz Fratelli gets on The Fratellis songs Look Out Sunshine, Mistress Mabel etc on the album Here We Stand[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Next on list to try are DR’s, Optima and possibly the new Dunlops though im hearing they are very Roundwound sounding[/color][/size][/font]
[/quote]

Hmm.. I wonder if the missing bit in the chain is something other than the strings...?

Possibly but I have been CLOSE to the sound but just not quite. Part of me thinks I didn't give the Pyramids long enough. They ticked every box bar the thump but then I read forum posts where people say they were TOO thump!

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]The holy grail tone im after is the tone Baz Fratelli gets on The Fratellis songs Look Out Sunshine, Mistress Mabel etc on the album Here We Stand[/color][/size][/font]

[/quote]

I'm not very familiar with The Fratellis but the bass tone will not be the result of strings alone and anyway will probably sound different when isolated from the rest of the band.

[quote name='davebass66' timestamp='1459531934' post='3017510']
Guys, apologies I've just realised the last clip on the labellas has messed up automation! Will fix and change!

Sorry!
[/quote]

I've not actually listened to them yet due to being in Spain and only on phone, so not worth listening to bass. I'll try to listen tomorrow.

And I still can't quite get over you calling GHS Precision Flats 'super stiff'.

[b][u][font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Status Flats[/color][/size][/font][/u][/b]
[size=3][color=#000000][font=Times New Roman]Thought these were THE one’s….then the E died prematurely [/font][font=Wingdings]L[/font][/color][/size]

[/quote]

You mean the E wasn't dead to start with ? Bit of a miracle there :).

So the kind people at D'addario generously offered to send me a set of chromes to add to the test, I have edited the OP with a bit of info on feel/tension and added the audio to Soundcloud.

I must admit, the Chromes are nicer than I expected and I think they would wear in really nicely one the initial new string 'zing' wears off a little. Similar to the EB flats but better IMO.

Dave

Edited by davebass66

Very nice comparison, I'm going to give the DR's a shot, the high tension puts me off all the other flats I've tried, even though tone-wise I love the G string on the LaBella's.

Would love to hear a comparison of all these again after a month or 2 of use.

I got round to listening to those at last. Thanks Dave and nice playing.

The main thing was, for me at least, they all sounded wholly acceptable. By which I mean I could have used and worked with strings that sounded like that. Having said that I liked the La Bella and the GHS most, strings which I have regularly used, along with the DRs which I am using on one bass at present. There's something about the EBs and the D'Addarios I like less (but I bet I could not spot it in a blind test).

But, never mind the sound, all those strings feel different under the fingers. For example, the DRs are slightly rough to the touch while La Bella 760M are very smooth. Tension and compliance vary a lot so, even having heard the sound, I think you can only finally decide after playing them.

By the way, GHS don't, as far as I can see, do a 50-105 set. Should it be 45-105 or 55-105?