Why become a member? ×

Nail Varnish/Top tip.

I've got an old beater (Aria Primary) that picked up a huge ding...about 20mm x 5mm. The bass is covered in damage, but this one was just a little too much. My wife suggested filling it with nail varnish; she dug out an old bottle of black stuff and after two applications, it's pretty much disappeared. Amazing really.
P

Interesting, just awaiting an arrival of a matsumoku Washburn which also has a chunky prang (top band name 'Chunky Prang')

Was thinking of doing the colour match and then clear coating with superglue and cutting back with 12,000 grit...

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1459613564' post='3018108']
I let it dry totally for a couple of hours and while it's shrunk back a bit, it's amazing really. I've just blobbed a bit more in.

My wife has one of those nail polishing things like this...I'll just cut it back any lumpiness and polish it up.

[/quote]

Yeah, do you think I'll look mad carting a 1981 Washburn through neck bass into superdrug or boots's down the fingernail polish aisle?

The wife seems to have a great selection of reds, purples and blacks - no Browns though.

Wonder if the nail lady she has round (seemingly every week) has some brown pots spare...

Heard that the superglue helps keep the finish hard/protected.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1459624615' post='3018209']

Yeah, do you think I'll look mad carting a 1981 Washburn through neck bass into superdrug or boots's down the fingernail polish aisle?

The wife seems to have a great selection of reds, purples and blacks - no Browns though.

Wonder if the nail lady she has round (seemingly every week) has some brown pots spare...

Heard that the superglue helps keep the finish hard/protected.
[/quote]

Get yourself an Avon book :D

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1459628360' post='3018246']
I've always found superglue/1200 grit/T-Cut will fix most things. Literally! :D
[/quote]

It's down to the wood so will need to add the colour back in...

Got the super fine paper and T-cut. Need to get some superglue and this shade of brown...

So the wife had a search in her spare nail varnish bag (why do you need more than one, aren't they all the same...😏)

She found a maybelline reddy/brown.

https://instagram.com/p/BDt190fuQT3/

Not bad at all, doubt I coulve got closer if I'd tried. Painted onto a chunk of oak I had made a ramp out of years ago.

Will review when bass is here.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1459639922' post='3018366']

That was what mine looked like, but deeper.
[/quote]

Reassuring. Do you have a before/after shot?

Did something similar years ago for my brothers Westone Spectrum ST and worked well. He then took a jigsaw to it and made it into an awful homemade Jaguar...

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1459692903' post='3018659']
I didn't take photos, no. All I was trying to do was to improve the appearance of a big deep dent. Worked fine for purpose, but would think any bigger dings would get a bit messy.
[/quote]

Well yeah, my first port of call is that of a preventative measure, but if I can tidy it all up - if the rest of the bass wasn't in such great nick I wouldn't be bothering.

Will share results (if successful 😆)

• 3 weeks later...

https://instagram.com/p/BEbxCaVOQXt/

After searching far and wide for a close match...I could start tonight.

It looks lumpy. The wood was dented underneath the finish.

It's had one more coat since, and I have a new tip to share if it proves successful...

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1461182121' post='3032300']
[url="https://instagram.com/p/BEbxCaVOQXt/"]https://instagram.com/p/BEbxCaVOQXt/[/url]

After searching far and wide for a close match...I could start tonight.

It looks lumpy. The wood was dented underneath the finish.

It's had one more coat since, and I have a new tip to share if it proves successful...
[/quote]

It's just a case (much like any finishing) of building up the coats and cutting back. The finish on my Aria is in pretty poor generally, but the ding I used the varnish on was a bit too much. I've done maybe five or six thin black coats (it's in the dark edge area on a sunburst finish). It's self levelling and it's fine for purpose; I will probably do more and cut it back, but for now, it's OK.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1461361574' post='3034127']
https://instagram.com/p/BEg9HCpOQSo/
[/quote]
That's a much better result. If you have a single underneath, don't forget you can get rid of most dings by placing a wet cloth over the dings and heating up the wood with a steam-iron or soldering iron. This works even better if you make small cuts in the wood along the grain.

[quote name='jimbobothy' timestamp='1461391276' post='3034201']
Nice job, hadn't thought of that method before. If using superglue as a top coat do you know if you can match the existing gloss/sheen level?
[/quote]

The superglue was a bit of a pain in the arse to be honest, reacted and wouldn't set.

It's negligible how much superglue made it to the final cut.