Why become a member? ×

Warwick truss rod break (nooooo!!!)

Jorduan

So after finally finishing my weeks long renovation of the warwick corvette 5 which I picked up (complete re-finish, with brand new nut), impatience and perfectionism got the better of me.

Aiming to get the neck as straight as possible, i gave the truss rod more than she can handle. Resulting in a big snap/ping. I immediately felt very silly, as I've been doing these kind of adjustments for years.

The nut head is fine, however the truss rod now just loosely rotates, without adding tension to the neck. This is a bolt on type neck.

I'm pretty desperate to get this fixed considering the amount of hours invested in her. I've read a few topics on similar issues, but there's not been much in the way of meaningful solutions. And so here I am, late on a Saturday night after many rums, crying out for any help!

I'm willing to pay good money if there is a fix available!

(photos of the work now attached for reference!)

Edited by Jorduan

It sounds to me like the truss rod has freed itself from the anchor point. That will most likely involve removal of the fretboard to fix unfortunately. Find a local experienced luthier to take a look. As it's a bolt on neck, a replacement may work out cheaper - so I'd also explore that option

I am not sure if there are any 'non invasive' solutions. It will be fixable with fretboard removal, truss rod replacement and subsequent fretboard re-attachment. There is a recent thread on BC where another Warwick had similar issues. I am now avoiding the truss rod adjustments on mne.

Thanks for the fast replies gents, this is much appreciated.

I suspected myself that the truss rod is no longer anchored (If I place my ear on the neck as I turn it, I'm sure I can hear the whole thing rotating along its length).

I've started the search for a good luthier in the southwest region, hopefully they will be able to get the fretboard off and sort her our. If not, then I guess its a brand new neck!

For reference; i'll attach some before and after photos to show how nice it came out, and how much I want to get the bloody thing working properly again!!!

Ouch! Sorry to hear about that.

Agree with all the other posts. Sounds like the anchor has let go. So, the only professional fix is to remove the fingerboard unfortunately. If the neck is an oil finish it will make removal of the board a little easier for whoever is doing the work as you won't have to worry about lacquer damage.

I also agree with a new neck being an easier and possibly more cost effective fix! If you can't manage to find a Warwick replacement, I do custom necks for any instrument, just mentioning that on the off chance you may need one :).

I asked Warwick about buying a neck for a Corvette body that was up for sale.
I was told by them that they sell necks, but on an exchange basis. You have to send the old one, Not that that will be a problem.

Their email address is: [color=#444444][email protected][/color]

[color=#444444]Good luck. I really hope you get this fixed as painlessly as possible[/color]

Truss rods just shouldn't snap and if they do, they've been poorly made. You should be able to over adjust a neck curve long before a truss rod comes under the stress needed to break. However, as a luthier I can tell you that not all snapping is necessarily due to a break in the truss rod. Depending on the type of truss rod and how it is fitted, I have come across a few that manage to pull themselves through the wood where they are anchored. This can give the impression that the truss rod has broken but in actual fact its the wood at the anchor point. The cure is still the same... fretboard off and fix the problem.

[quote name='umpdv5000' timestamp='1459791238' post='3019682']
Truss rods just shouldn't snap and if they do, they've been poorly made. You should be able to over adjust a neck curve long before a truss rod comes under the stress needed to break. However, as a luthier I can tell you that not all snapping is necessarily due to a break in the truss rod. Depending on the type of truss rod and how it is fitted, I have come across a few that manage to pull themselves through the wood where they are anchored. This can give the impression that the truss rod has broken but in actual fact its the wood at the anchor point. The cure is still the same... fretboard off and fix the problem.
[/quote]

It's funny you should mention that . . . the truss rod coming free from it's anchor as opposed to snapping inside the neck.
This thread is a bit of an eye opener: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/275110-warwick-and-their-new-pricing-system/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/275110-warwick-and-their-new-pricing-system/[/url]

Thank you to all for the support, I really appreciate all the feedback - unfortunately I've been away with work so not had a chance to take this any further.

The bass is a 2006 model (serial is [color=#444444][font=Calibri][size=4]H 128405 06[/size][/font][/color][color=#444444][font=Calibri][size=4])[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#444444][font=Calibri][size=4]My first point of call is going to contact warwick to see if they will replace with an exchange. 2nd point of call will be arrange for a skilled individual to fix her up. [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#444444][font=Calibri][size=4]I'll post some updates when she's getting her medicine![/size][/font][/color]

• 8 months later...

[quote name='jimbobothy' timestamp='1481404599' post='3192137']
.... just happened to me, bummer :mellow:
[/quote]

Well that sucks :(

Neck through or bolt on? Bolt on makes the truss rod extraction rather simpler (you don't need to work around the body when you remove the fingerboard). If it's one of the removable ones you've probably got a rather simpler swap out ahead of you.