Why become a member? ×

Just ridiculous!

JapanAxe

Bought a Markbass Micromark 801 combo from Bassgear on Friday. I say 'combo', it's more of a cubist handbag - approx 10.5in in all directions. How the hell does it sound so loud and bassy? I got it for my practice room, but it would easily drown out the rest of a trad jazz combo at a rehearsal. Can't be bothered to take a photo, so here is a stock pic. Remember, 10.5 inches:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459706245' post='3018791']
Would it keep up with a shed-building drummer..?
[/quote]
[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1459712731' post='3018904']
Only if you are Talk bass ;-)
[/quote]

Eh?

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1459712731' post='3018904']

Only if you are Talk bass ;-)
[/quote]

Though equally, you need two 2x12" cabs and 500 watts bare minimum to play a bar over there. And on the double bass side, you don't need an amp at all if you're a serious jazz cat. 'Tis a confusing place!

At home mine sounds really loud when practicing but at a recent Folk Open Mike I did, I could not hear it, even tilted in a busy room but others could further away. I have taken mine to rehearsals with a singer/guitar, keys, electro acoustic guitar and cahon and it was fine, the other option is to plug it into PA

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1459706778' post='3018803']
I've got one in my Flat , I originally wanted to use it for a monitor , but when you turn the volume it also increase the DI line level ?
[/quote]

That sounds very very wrong! I thought that the point of a balanced line out was that it is not affected by the volume on your amp?

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1459776069' post='3019460']
What he said. HTH?
[/quote]

I guess your ears are tricked as once you are in a room with punters in and even just 1 guitar and vox I found it struggles but to be fair, that is not it's rationale. BTW the stick-on tweeter is a waste of time unless you need hissy top.......
Don't get me wrong the 801 is great for a decent practice sound and has a tiny footprint in my studio (dining room) but its applications are limited much beyond that.

When I go to Folk Open Mics, turning up with it and a Bass Ukele causes less friction with Cecil and Cecelia Sharp than my MB TTE 500 and the RJ 15" cab...!

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1459884819' post='3020635']
When I go to Folk Open Mics, turning up with it and a Bass Ukele causes less friction with Cecil and Cecelia Sharp than my MB TTE 500 and the RJ 15" cab...!
[/quote]

Good one. I always think folk sounds thin unless there is some bottom in it. Would love to do an Open Mic rendition of Queen's '39 on my fretless one day but my uke playing mate isn't up to speed with it. That I haven't done it yet is probably a good thing.

• 1 month later...

I can now report that the 801 has held its own in the following situations:
(1) Acoustic gig with vocals, acoustic guitar and cajon through PA, electric guitar into Blues Junior, uke bass into 801 (volume at 1 o'clock).
(2) Big band rehearsal in smallish function room - drums, saxes, clarinets, trumpets, trombones all unamplified, keys into small combo, vocals into small PA, Precision into 801 (volume at 2 o'clock).

I think it comes down to how each of us play, and what we consider "loud enough"
Some people play with a light touch, but want to sit on top of the mix.
This isn't going to be enough for them.
Some might play with a light touch, but like to be more in the mix than on top of it. This could work for them.
I often go out to pubs when i have a weekend off to listen to different bands.
It's amazing to me how some of them set their sound. There is no mix as such. Just two separate guitar players, and a bass player with no consideration (it seems) for how they all sound together.
Granted, this is more of an EQ issue than volume, but because they dont consider the overall sound, everyone seems to try to push volume higher to be heard.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1464947448' post='3063969']
...because they don't consider the overall sound, everyone seems to try to push volume higher to be heard.
[/quote]

Aye, there's the rub. The volume 'arms race' is a sure sign of amateurs. I include myself in their number, but we are always quick to turn the racket down if it's getting out of hand and no-one can hear themselves. Though the arms race does seem more likely to happen in a rock band.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1464908436' post='3063794']
I can now report that the 801 has held its own in the following situations:
(1) Acoustic gig with vocals, acoustic guitar and cajon through PA, electric guitar into Blues Junior, uke bass into 801 (volume at 1 o'clock).
(2) Big band rehearsal in smallish function room - drums, saxes, clarinets, trumpets, trombones all unamplified, keys into small combo, vocals into small PA, Precision into 801 (volume at 2 o'clock).
[/quote]

I've gigged one with a drummer, unmiked and two acoustic guitarists, both into amps.

It was easily loud enough for me to hear myself onstage and projection into the room was pretty good. I know this because I let another player use both my bass and amp - for which he never bothered to say thanks but that's another story. . .

It obviously wasn't a high volume gig but I had the option to DI so thought I'd give it a try and it was fine one its own.

I totally agree with comments about bands using more and more power and getting ever louder. We played a recent gig and the landlady offered to rebook is based purely on the sound check.

She said we had a really professional sound and when we asked what she really meant by this she told us that she could the words, all the instruments individually and wasn't deafened as soon as we started playing.

I think it was the latter that got us the next gig rather than any of the former comments :)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1465061970' post='3065068']
I am struggling to not comment...........
[/quote]

:D

I also brought it in from the car at a party band rehearsal, after 2 songs' worth of hideous non-tone from the rehearsal studio's Peavey (Max 115?) combo. Nice but not loud enough, unsurprisingly.