Why become a member? ×

Elixir Strings; Excellent Customer Service!

Grangur

Hi there dear BCers,

I generally think I know what I'm doing on a bass on setting up etc.,. but this one has me surprised.

I ordered 3 sets of Elixir Strings from Thomann. All arrived well and after a day or 3 I fitted the first set of strings on my Streamer . They sounded vibrant and full of zing. Now after, maybe a week the E & A are sounding dead.

Thinking I'm losing it, I picked up my Corvette, with 9 month old Elixirs and, yes, they're more vibrant than the new Elixirs.

So, dear friends... is it me? Have I missed something? is there something I should be changing in the setup?

The deadness is particularly noticeable above the 9th fret. When I get above the 12th we're into real thud-country.

Any ideas? I've already emailed Elixir, but not response as yet, but it is only 24 hours since I mailed.

Many thanks for reading.

Edited by Grangur

I'm a pick player and play fairly hard. I've had Elixirs on a variety of basses over the last couple of years and they last for ages. The strings on my Lull sound pretty much the same as they did when I put them on last September/October, fresh and bright.

Quick question. Is the Streamer a bolt on?

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1459956290' post='3021262']
I'm a pick player and play fairly hard. I've had Elixirs on a variety of basses over the last couple of years and they last for ages. The strings on my Lull sound pretty much the same as they did when I put them on last September/October, fresh and bright.

Quick question. Is the Streamer a bolt on?
[/quote]
No, it's a through neck. Interesting you should ask. The bass on which they are ok after 9 months(ish) is a bolt-on.

I have had Elixirs on the Streamer in the past and they were ok. That said, haven't Elixir changed their strings recently?

Edited by Grangur

Bolt-on vs neck-through? In relation to string life and tone, could somebody explain this a little more, please? Same strings (Status Hotwire halfrounds) on my through-neck Yamaha BB1200 generally seem to sound more thuddy, and die sooner than those on my bolt-on Yamaha BB424.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1460277592' post='3024189']
Bolt-on vs neck-through? In relation to string life and tone, could somebody explain this a little more, please? Same strings (Status Hotwire halfrounds) on my through-neck Yamaha BB1200 generally seem to sound more thuddy, and die sooner than those on my bolt-on Yamaha BB424.
[/quote]

Cant explain the theory but i find that bolt on necks seem a bit snappier sounding and thru necks sound sort of softer....

I've moved to Elixirs almost exclusively (I have them on three basses), and they're all good. I play mostly with a pick, I like a bright sound (no tweeters, tho) and hit pretty hard, and the first set have been on for a year now and are still very very good after dozens of gigs. All bolt-ons, dunno whether that's relevant.

Might just be a bad set.

• 1 month later...

I've updated the title on this thread as I have to take my hat off to the great folk at Elixir.

A long time ago a mailed Elixir and said I was disappointed in the set of strings. It was a few days later that they appeared to settle down, or was it my ears? No idea.

Anyway, a few days later i got an email from them saying "sorry to hear... very unusual etc, etc... and today we've sent out a new set of strings. If you want to send us the old, faulty strings we'll replace them."

Well, I'm totally chuffed with them. They've got my continued loyalty. They won't get rich on the proceeds, but top marks from me. I feel quite guilty really. So I thought I'd give them a plug.

Cant fault their customer service. I had a set a few years ago that started flaking awfully after a couple of hours use. Contacted them, sent replacements with no further questions asked.

Sadly, I don't get on with the string and do find their prices a bit, well, crazy. But the service you are paying for is top notch :)