Why become a member? ×

Hi from Oxford !

luckydog

Hi I'm new to the forum, thought I'd say hello.

I currently play a '74 Jazz through a Bassman 50 Head/2x15 cab. In the past I've owned and played '87 Streamer through TE GP7/2x10/1x18, and '71 Precision through Ashdown 4x10. I also play upright, and have a 90's B&H upright bass with a custom precision split pickup which is interesting.

I've been playing bass for 40 years, and currently play in a kicking original band, sort of brit-pop befitting blokes in their 50's.

Genetically, I think I was wired to play bass.

I've visited this forum, and recently joined to ask a question, but where I can answer or help or engage in interesting discussion I'd like to.
It's all about the bass, as they say!

LD

Thanks for the welcome chaps, and great there's real local bass peeps here ! Chasing Daylight [url="https://www.facebook.com/chasingdaylightoxford"]https://www.facebook.com/chasingdaylightoxford[/url] is my band. Real Hammond and Leslie marks it out, and I play a '71 Precision in this band, the rig in my avatar, looks like was run over by truck. Will look out for your bands chaps.

[quote name='luckydog' timestamp='1459959672' post='3021311']
FinnDave, checking your band facebook page I see your sunburst Jazz which looks neat, and a Precision. Hey, what about that ? The paint got lost on the P bass I use somewhere along the road !

LD
[/quote]

Cheers, your bare wood Precision looks good too. The sunburst Jazz is a 60s classic (nitro paint) and the white Precision has a sunburst twin as well. I also bought a black Jazz last week as I've bust a finger tendon (right hand) and can only play with a pick for now, the new bass was to cheer me up!

FinnDave, thought your Jazz looked vintage 60's. Nice. BTW I use a pick with the Precision in Chasing Daylight for tone/sound and clear timing, horses for courses. My Jazz has the finger rest on the thumb side, and fingers is the mode of choice there.

Spondonbassed, thank you.

LD

Edited by luckydog

Thanks, fleabag. Wow, I'm just stunned by the coincidence ! If we all play at the same time it will probably cause an earthquake, best to have a rota. Lucky for the whole nation that we found out in time ;-)

Do you guys meet ? We could start a mutual admiration society at each others' gigs !

LD

There's another BC member on here from West Oxon too ( Witney, same as me ) but i cant remember his name.

So with 3 of us from the same town, sounds like a meet at Fat Lils here would be a good place. Perhaps the Oxford Town and Didcot town members could trot along. They have a jam day every sunday from about 3 or 4 pm, but just meeting for a chat would be easier.

I often play at the blues jam at Fat Lils on the last Sunday of the month which organised by a bloke with the same name as me, which has led to some confusion. He's plays guitar, so if we can find a Dave Smith who plays drums, we'll have to try a 'The Dave Smiths' trio :)

Didn't know they had jams on other Sundays though.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1460130046' post='3022933']
I often play at the blues jam at Fat Lils on the last Sunday of the month which organised by a bloke with the same name as me, which has led to some confusion. He's plays guitar, so if we can find a Dave Smith who plays drums, we'll have to try a 'The Dave Smiths' trio :)

Didn't know they had jams on other Sundays though.
[/quote]

Yeah i know Dave and his son :)

Oh i could be wrong about other sundays Dave. I think you maybe right about being once a month and not every Sunday

Maybe we could descend on Fat Lils last sunday in April

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1460130153' post='3022934']
Welcome! I'm up in sunny Chipping Norton!
[/quote]

Good grief. Thats where our band rehearse. Well its Great Rollright to be precise but close enough for Jazz :)

Yes, i was referring to the other Dave, mr Mighty Cadillacs and Nathan is pretty handy too, though a tad manic. I like him though, he's a good bloke

Yup, jammed with them too, though i usually spank the drums if i feel like jamming

Edited by fleabag